Sign in to follow this  
kingsham

Stereo Harness Question

Hello forum folks. 

I have a 2004 Buick park avenue that I am wanting to install a system into. I have run into one problem...I was about to buy a standard wiring harness when I was told that I would need a "data harness" due to my car having onStar even though I dont use it. If anybody has had any experience in installing a head unit into 2000 and up GM with onstar your assistance would be greatly appreciated. If anybody could link me to the proper harness it would be appreciated as well...as I am trying to avoid paying a shop $700 to install my system.  Thanks

At a bare minimum you will need a 70-2001. I'm not seeing the on star model listed under the parts list for installation. So they may be taking out of their ass, as you said if you don't use it then you don't need it. Although if it is true you need the harness you may lose door ding/etc depending on the model of your car and if it's routed through the front left speaker like newer gm cars. But other than that, from what metra says you only need the 70-2001, and the aswc-1 if you want to retain steering wheel controls.

Thanks for the reply. I talked to the guy who is building my enclosure and installing my system(much cheaper than the local shop) and he said he couldnt find one either. I went ahead and ordered the standard harness you mentioned in your post.

I am not sure if your car has a factory amplifier for the speakers, but my 2001 tahoe with onstar does. When I did my HU install I just bought the basic harness to tap into the power, ground, acc, speakers, etc. since the onstar systems in the earlier 2000s are analog and can't be used anyway. If your car has a factory amplifier and is anything like my tahoe, there was a remote turn on wire for the factory amp that was in the smaller of the two connectors on the back of my radio. It was the pink wire in my case. Just wanted to give you fair warning in case you hook up the basic harness and you get no sound out of the speakers.

No problem. That's what we're all here for anyway, right?