ncc74656

viper 2500.1

anyone out there have a Viper 2500.1D? I want to strap two of them.

anyone out there have a Viper 2500.1D? I want to strap two of them.

The majority of these I see for sale are the 2ohm version. You might be better cutting your losses if you have the 1 ohm model and finding an equal model. If you're stuck on finding another then start looking at facebook classifieds to find one. I've seen about 3 of them come up for sale.

I have the 2ohm model, I want to strap them into my subs

the viper 2500 is a PPI amp that DEI simply put a new case on right? what PPI amp is it based off of and could i find one of those to link up? from what i have heard i dont think DEI changed any of the guts...

the viper 2500 is a PPI amp that DEI simply put a new case on right? what PPI amp is it based off of and could i find one of those to link up? from what i have heard i dont think DEI changed any of the guts...

Yah, They shared the same board as a Directed 2400D and Orion 2500d, but I'm sure components changed. 

i thought the orion 2500D was a 1ohm amp for max power where as the DEI viper was a 2 ohm max power amp by PPI?

i thought the orion 2500D was a 1ohm amp for max power where as the DEI viper was a 2 ohm max power amp by PPI?

You're correct. They have different components, they still share the same board. 

The Taramps HD8000 has both a 1 and 2 ohm model as well. If my mind serves me correctly I believe their was a change in capacitors and resistors that made this stability change between the 2. Take that with a grain of salt because I am fuzzy on the details.

got it.  i would love to be able to find anohter 2500.1... baring htat i suppose i could get a second SP4 now and just buy a 6KW 1ohm stable amp and run with it...

There are soooo many manufacturers you open yourself to when you say you want a 6kw amp. It's like a candy store out there now days compared to the early days for sure. 

yea i was looking at some of the AQ amps that can be strapped... thing is i already have half hte power i need and these vipers are strapable so.... yea...   i got to play with a 18" BTL today but the guy only had 2 slash 1000/1 JL's. wired up 1 per coil but they could barely move the thing... made me realize just how much power you need to fully max out some of these subs.  hell even mine starts to clip long before the sub shows any sign of maxing out and im sure this viper is dishing a good 2800W into it. 

yea i was looking at some of the AQ amps that can be strapped... thing is i already have half hte power i need and these vipers are strapable so.... yea...   i got to play with a 18" BTL today but the guy only had 2 slash 1000/1 JL's. wired up 1 per coil but they could barely move the thing... made me realize just how much power you need to fully max out some of these subs.  hell even mine starts to clip long before the sub shows any sign of maxing out and im sure this viper is dishing a good 2800W into it.

I don't think your sub is seeing 2800 rms. . And if someone had 2 1000/1s to a btl and it was barely moving then I bet something was wrong/not set right

I'd make the suggestion to stay away from strapping for daily and do gain matched instead. I am by no means saying that the viper is a bad amp, but you will be hard pressed to find another until you sell yours. The moment you sell it another will pop up lol. 

the JL amps were only able to hit about 800W or so by voltage before the factory alternator dropped to 11.5V... i did a voltage match between the two amps to set gains, less about detecting distortion and more about matching output. the sub was in a 4.2 cubic box with 48 square inches of port area. not exactly optimal...

Lookin for a Viper 4 channel to go with it?

J

i actually bought a kicker 4 channel to run everything from so right now im not. i am considering trying to run another 2500W amp to the same sub (one on each coil). id probably never be able to get the voltage to match exactly across all the frequencies tho.

i would not be surprised if this amp could do 2800W clean at 2ohm, of couse that drops with the music but still. its a pretty beastly amp. 

Yes they are. I remember the one I used for a bit.

J

if i can get a good enough deal through vendor acom with rockford's 2500W guys ill go that route and sell my viper but im not holding my breath. those rockford are expensive as hell.

With how much they spend on marketing and SMD it's not a shocker.

J

last rockford training i had laid out some very kool stuff in there amps. i just had kicker training last week and apparently they have quite a bit of tech into there new KX series. i did give them hell about not allowing them to be straped like the old KX... apparently the new KX do not function like a normal amp, they use DC to DC on the power board, its never converted to AC untill it hits the output. 

if someone had 2 1000/1s to a btl and it was barely moving then I bet something was wrong/not set right

Ha, of course. He works at a VERY confused store.

I'd make the suggestion to stay away from strapping for daily and do gain matched instead.

Most definitely. It isn't a good idea, nor will doubling the power be audible anyways.

the JL amps were only able to hit about 800W or so by voltage

So what, 1000w or 800w is NO audible difference, not even close.

i did give them hell about not allowing them to be straped like the old KX... apparently the new KX do not function like a normal amp, they use DC to DC on the power board, its never converted to AC untill it hits the output.

And they shouldn't. Can't imagine why a mainstream amplifier company would do that. Talk about a support nightmare. So many idiots that have no place in doing it try and that just leads to a bad rap for the manufacturer. Glad Kicker isn't that dumb.

i dont see any reason why making an amp strap able is a bad idea. when its intended to be strapped you get a master and slave setup so as to keep everything in line. kicker simply went main stream as opposed to high end with their product design so in that light i suppose it does not make since to support strapping. its still something that id expect to see out of a high end company and its quite useful for higher power systems. only thing to support is proper power to the amps at that point. 

the 18 we hooked up had more volume than our in store 15's but no where near my SP4, nor did it move anywhere near as much visually. the manager at my other store says he gets 2400W clean out of a 1000/1 slash and while i dont believe this (he swears he o scoped it as clean) i still expected 2 slashes to push it as well as my 2500.1.  that said i dont know how damaged the sub or amps were, when it came into the shop one amp was wired in phase the other reversed so im sure that coil was hot as shit.

Strapping isn't high end. Has nothing to do with it.

And yet another idiot manager. Quit. Everyone at your store/company is an idiot. Can't scope it clean either, lol.

yea i know but still... gives me products and cars to work on as i get better.  i spent a good deal of time chatting with the kicker guys at training. they pretty much agreed with how to set gains and such. our company still has a policy to use test tones and an oscope but the kicker guys some very good examples and graphics about testing amps, building them, speaker cooling, and gain setting. they played and showed a bunch of MP3 files that were already clipped, one was of the exact same song off the same album. one version was from 1980 and the other was off a CD bought at target. the 1980 version displayed a clean spectrum that perhaps was not as full as it could have been but it was certainly not clipped in the audio program. they then loaded the target version and it was just a solid square block of frequencies.... just a small fraction of the frequency scale was not shaded in by signals. pretty much exactly like i had found on my comp when i put in my own MP3's. 

i also managed to get quite a few box building questions correct and it was a bit rewarding to do so in the direct conflict of information. such as sub sonic tuning to be done a few frequencies under the tuning frequency of the box as opposed to one half octave below like our shop teaches. 

they also stressed to always use the customers music to set gains as test tones are "near worthless" in a customer install. they seemed to be damn near spot on to everything you have mentioned on here.

i still see strapping as a high end addon. amps like orion, PPI, the old KX, soundquebed, crescendo, and rockford powers are the likes of amps that have strapping support. to that end its always been advertised as a high end option. 

oh, kicker also demonstrated how to clamp an amp to see how efficient it is and how much power its actually dealing out. much like the videos on youtube actually with the exception being there is an industrial grade resistor placed in the mix and some high end amp meters/volt meters. 

Edited by ncc74656

Strapping does not make it high end amp, and looking at the failure rate of people strapping amps lately I wouldnt praise it as much as you do.

not so much of a praise as a convinenet feature. already owning an amp that can strap id like to just buy a second vs selling and buying a whole new amp setup. im going to check pricing tomorrow and see what i want to do.  the new box i built for the SP4 makes it sound far better, more musical and linear in response curve.