ncc74656

viper 2500.1

If you decide to get something else, let me know what you want for it. Would look nice with my 4 channel....granted it would just be a shelf item.

J

I'd call it a low end gimic. Buy something worth owning and it is worth selling therefore allowing you to buy what actually makes sense in the first place. There is a reason so many people fail once they try to strap.

i can see where you are coming from. it is nice however to have that option down the road if one chooses to upgrade. although its an option to get that second amp on a second sub instead of strapping them so perhaps strapping is a bit of a moot point.  I for one like the idea of strapping given i already have an amp that if i find a second can net me far more bang for the buck and at 2ohm no less.  i would like to keep my subs running at 2 ohm for the sheer efficiency of it on my electrical. that said perhaps it is time i buy a 6KW amp and that second SP4... options, options...  part of me want to strap just so i can say ive done it, see how it all works, what the benefits/down falls are, ect. i like trying things i have not done before weather i need to or not.

I guess your store taught you about efficiency too.

So far they are batting 1000% in the wrong direction.

I guess your store taught you about efficiency too.So far they are batting 1000% in the wrong direction.

Was just about to say that lol. It doesn't surprise me though. . Almost every time I go into an audio shop I end up getting mad or laughing in my head. . I don't understand how a lot of shops stay open for years and years

They all suck here, but holy stupidity flows out of his store. Every wrong thing ever in audio seems to be preached there. I don't get it either as MN in general is full of very educated people, just not in car audio.

Might be time to open a knowledgable shop then.

J

Might be time to open a knowledgable shop then.

J

That would be nice! I'm in lol

If I had the money, and was up to date I would be considering it down here.

J

as you drop from 2ohm to 1ohm to .5ohm ect, you gain greater THD and the power conversion becomes less efficient so more power is wasted in heat.  this is what i was taught. so i asked if an amp is designed for 2ohm and you run it at 1 then sure its going to react differently and the specs wont hold true but if the amp is built for 1ohm would it not be built so as to have simliar specs to that 2ohm amp? to which the answer was no, it does not matter what the amp is rated at - it will always be less efficent and require more amps at lower ohm loads.   assuming all these amps are trying to produce the same output power.

i can see where you are coming from. it is nice however to have that option down the road if one chooses to upgrade. although its an option to get that second amp on a second sub instead of strapping them so perhaps strapping is a bit of a moot point. I for one like the idea of strapping given i already have an amp that if i find a second can net me far more bang for the buck and at 2ohm no less. i would like to keep my subs running at 2 ohm for the sheer efficiency of it on my electrical. that said perhaps it is time i buy a 6KW amp and that second SP4... options, options... part of me want to strap just so i can say ive done it, see how it all works, what the benefits/down falls are, ect. i like trying things i have not done before weather i need to or not.

I just wanna first make sure if you're aware that strapping two if those 2 ohm amps means you need your subs to have a final ohm load of 4 Ohms?

Secondly, I don't want to confuse you as to why my slave amp went on both setups. It was for absolutely no good reason each time. The strapped aq2200's were only 3 Batts and a mechman and never were below 13.5. It just stopped playing and that was it. Got it repaired and was told "that's what slave amps do a lot of times". So I strapped them for another few months with no problems and sold them later. Move forward to recently. I've toroughly test my 2 4ks separately and felt prepared for a nice long weekend of dishing demos at slamology on my strapped setup. By this time I'm up to 6 batts and don't take voltage down much. Anyways like 4 or 5 demos total on Friday night beatoff I started smelling strong electrical. Everything was still working fine, but I turned it off and tore it apart the next morning to find the bastard slave had smoked some fets. I hate strapping, but I do it out of being rushed and lazy. Even though the thing still worked to me it's failed and for no reason other than being a slave since I had it in my wife's car beating the living shit out of it on half ohm dipping in to 10-11 volts on her burps no problem.

as you drop from 2ohm to 1ohm to .5ohm ect, you gain greater THD and the power conversion becomes less efficient so more power is wasted in heat.  this is what i was taught. so i asked if an amp is designed for 2ohm and you run it at 1 then sure its going to react differently and the specs wont hold true but if the amp is built for 1ohm would it not be built so as to have simliar specs to that 2ohm amp? to which the answer was no, it does not matter what the amp is rated at - it will always be less efficent and require more amps at lower ohm loads.   assuming all these amps are trying to produce the same output power.

You shouldn't quote what you don't understand nor think about. You are always focusing on pointless bits of misinformation instead of the big picture. I'll give you a hint. Run an amp where it was designed to be run, anything else is dumb.