Hayabusa

What H.O. Alts do u guys recommend?

I might be in the market for one in a few months and was wondering whats the consensous around here to get a great H.O.

How about one with a good price/quality ratio... :D.

If you are looking for a cheap alt, that's exactly what you'll get. People don't want to pay the money to have one built PROPERLY.

Eldo's on to something there with the Stinger.

When I say price i mean resonable and something that doesn't cost over $400...

mean green

ohio generator

dom iraggi (which i have new one for sale, won't fit my truck)

to name the big three pretty much...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Thanks a ton Mmray... Finally someone throws some names out there. I might go with Ohio Generator or Mean Green. Haven't heard many good things about Iraqqi's customer service.

My friend has issues with his irragi as well. The other 2 mentioned are nice

i find the customer service thing funny because iraggi is what the shop sells and we have had zero issues with dom. even when it's "our" fault or his, two weeks turn around is typically slow. this last time, scott fried a 220 delphi case in his escalade, 1 week later, new alternator.

same with my delco cased unit...some dweeb (i never meet the goon, just saw his handy work) didn't install it correctly, broke the mounting plate in joe's 'lade and the alternator crashed into the fan. bent the main shaft and tore fins off the cooling fan. it went to dom, 1 week later, i have a new irragi.

we have never had any issues with him. order one, about two weeks later, it shows up. like clockwork.

and scott, nor anyone at the shop, save james herren, has ever met him. it's always been over the phone.

but the other's are good alternators has well, and i'm sure everyone has their horror stories.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Mean Green has a nice price for me... Waiting for Ohio Generators to give me a quote now. :) I doubt stingers overpriced alt would be much better than either of the two I listed above.

I doubt stingers overpriced alt would be much better than either of the two I listed above.

I can guarantee they are.

$1400 my ass... Most peps don't spend that much on their entire system. If they wasn't a big name like Mean Green and Ohio they wouldn't survive on those prices. Most people just pay for a name anyway. I'll stick with the up and comers who specialize in alts.

Edited by Hayabusa

There is a reason it costs $1400. That's an extreme duty alt, and for one to survive in the environment it's subjected to and last for 10+ years, you have to pay to have it built right. Keep in mind, that is cost and retail is probably another $1400. I've actually rebuilt a few that were upwards of $8000, but it's nothing you'll see. They came off a tank, but you get the idea.

Now, I cannot speak for all, but I have had 2 alts from the companies most prevalent on the forums, and both were nothing more than a rewound stator. This will do nothing but increase the cut-in RPM and only provide for increased output at a higher RPM.

THe more expensive and name brand alts are built properly with a higher output stator, custom wound rotor, high quality bearings, and high amperage diodes (avalanche being the best) and regulators. In the case of alts, it's what you don't see that makes it worth the money.

What do u think of Ohio Generators and Mean Green?

Those are the only 2 companies that I have not heard one bad comment on.

Mean Green actually gave me a pretty sweet price on a Alt... :D

Um... If price is an issue work harder? stop snorting crack cocaine? i dunno, cut back on expenses for one months get a ho alt.

thats what i do when i need new chit, i just lay around for a month doing nothing.

Ok, but what do you personally think of either brand? also what about excessive amperage? Been considering an upgrade, just not sure which way to shoot.

I dont want to spend say $350 then find out its not doing what its supposed to do, then spend another $450 or so to get one that does what its supposed to. Id rather just spend the $450 or whatever it may be then doing in twice.

Ok, but what do you personally think of either brand? also what about excessive amperage? Been considering an upgrade, just not sure which way to shoot.

I dont want to spend say $350 then find out its not doing what its supposed to do, then spend another $450 or so to get one that does what its supposed to. Id rather just spend the $450 or whatever it may be then doing in twice.

I can't really comment on either in any way, except for the fact that I know HO has some components made to their specifications specifically for their units. That right there says a lot. I don't have any direct experience with either, so it would be foolish of me to comment on their products.