a1sauce47

upgrade to hds300 12 d2 or hxfl 12 d2

Everything I've read into suggests if I want to be more loud I need more power. Is there something I'm missing. I'm not trying to become an expert in subwoofers .

A larger sub on the same power would gain you more then adding more power.

But the box size might need to be changed.

Edited by pmureika

IT was very difficuLt getting the box I have in there now. I know there is a way to get louder with my current box and amp. This modeling stuff is confusing to me . there is so many details to all of this its almost over whelming. I just want a loud system . I just want 2 twelves that will rattle my brain .if I bought 2 kicker comps I know for fact it would not be as loud as my current setup therefore I know there is louder sub's than type r. So what your saying is that the only way for me to get louder is to add bigger sub's? I have to disagree with that, my trunk is maxed out with the current enclosure unless I did a wall and sealed off the trunk its not happening .

IT was very difficuLt getting the box I have in there now. I know there is a way to get louder with my current box and amp. This modeling stuff is confusing to me . there is so many details to all of this its almost over whelming. I just want a loud system . I just want 2 twelves that will rattle my brain .if I bought 2 kicker comps I know for fact it would not be as loud as my current setup therefore I know there is louder sub's than type r. So what your saying is that the only way for me to get louder is to add bigger sub's? I have to disagree with that, my trunk is maxed out with the current enclosure unless I did a wall and sealed off the trunk its not happening .

What I am saying is the box you have will determine which sub will be louder.

But probably not what you could hear.

Try downloading Winisd to model subs in your box.

The box is more important then increasing power.

Or maybe someone on the forum can do it for you. I can't.

Edited by pmureika

Any body out there have some input on this issue?

I appreciate the help man I do appreciate it I'm going to do my research this time around when I bought my current setup I had no idea what I was doing but I've learned a lot since .

I appreciate the help man I do appreciate it I'm going to do my research this time around when I bought my current setup I had no idea what I was doing but I've learned a lot since .

There are people on this forum that could help better, but it's a bad time of the year. 

There are so many people gone right now.

Also welcome to the ssa forum. There is somebody that can help you better.

id model them for you but dont have access to my pc. 

It's not meant to be overwhelming.  This is the one forum who will help you do it right.  There are multiple ways to get louder, and just swapping subwoofers is not really the best way.  Also, it's not about becoming an expert, but this forum will help you make the best choice and in the end you will understand why.  Modeling will help make an educated decision with the subwoofers and the air space available with in your goals.  As mentioned earlier, a bunch of random suggestions (like you will find on other more basic forums) will do you know good.  That is why you will see in other forum topics on here, when a question similar to this one is asked, people will ask for more information to aid in making the best suggestions based on experience and modeling etc.

As for T/S specs, think of them as an aptitude test results.  They will tell the tendencies or preferences of the subwoofer though its mechanical and electrical make up.  Another wonderful aspect of this site, is that you will be introduced to non-mainstream brands of which you will get much greater value in the subwoofer selection as non-mainstream brands do not have to charge for the brand name.

There are many ways to get louder;

• More power (least efficient approach and puts the more strain on your electrical system)
  • Larger subwoofers (more efficient approach)
  • Additional subwoofers (also more efficient)
  • A new enclosure for the current subwoofers that is designed more for the goals at hand (cheapest approach)

I looked into modeling apps and winisd but its not compatible on my phone and believe it or not I am so far in the middle of no where they don't even offer high speed internet out here so I don't even have a PC to download the appropriate software . but I must say it is nice to be on a forum where people actually help instead of bashing everyone else's systems and or lack of knowledge.

It's not meant to be overwhelming. This is the one forum who will help you do it right. There are multiple ways to get louder, and just swapping subwoofers is not really the best way. Also, it's not about becoming an expert, but this forum will help you make the best choice and in the end you will understand why. Modeling will help make an educated decision with the subwoofers and the air space available with in your goals. As mentioned earlier, a bunch of random suggestions (like you will find on other more basic forums) will do you know good. That is why you will see in other forum topics on here, when a question similar to this one is asked, people will ask for more information to aid in making the best suggestions based on experience and modeling etc.

As for T/S specs, think of them as an aptitude test results. They will tell the tendencies or preferences of the subwoofer though its mechanical and electrical make up. Another wonderful aspect of this site, is that you will be introduced to non-mainstream brands of which you will get much greater value in the subwoofer selection as non-mainstream brands do not have to charge for the brand name.

There are many ways to get louder;

• More power (least efficient approach and puts the more strain on your electrical system)
  • Larger subwoofers (more efficient approach)
  • Additional subwoofers (also more efficient)
  • A new enclosure for the current subwoofers that is designed more for the goals at hand (cheapest approach)

This is off subject a bit but what do the q parameters mean exactly. Is higher q's better or lower Q's better or does it have to do with airspace in vehicle and enclosure etc. Is modeling to get all these equations to fit a particular vehicle there's so many options and I'm obsessing about bass. Its like a twisted addiction

I wish you had a amp you could wire down to one ohm. Then you could hear if it would make the Alpines louder.

What have you done to upgrade the electrical going to the amp? Wire size, big three, grounding? 

Edited by pmureika

I wish you had a amp you could wire down to one ohm. Then you could hear if it would make the Alpines louder.

What have you done to upgrade the electrical going to the amp? Wire size, big three, grounding?

Well my amp the alpine mrx m240 can be wired at one ohm but its only puts out 1000 at one ohm I know its weird . its 1500 at 4 ohms 2400 at 2 ohms and 1000 at one ohm. Like I said I didn't know what I was doing when I bought all that stuff but it is a very quality amp . as far as electrical I installed a 220 amp alternator and ran o gauge wire from positive battery to positive on the alt and did the same for a negative wire from the alt directly to the battery and it helped my voltage tremendously and also did the same for the battery negative to chassis of car. I did not run any new wire from engine block to chassis not sure if that will make a big difference?? My battery is a duralast gold top bought last year . I live in prime redneck country and the only people who have systems have comp r from wal mart who listen to country music lol so I don't have anyone to swap system advice I learned everything online and installed everything myself. Don't get me wrong my alpines do great and all and my family doesn't understand why I could possibly want more bass but they don't understand . my car rattles like crazy even with double sound matted trunk and door panels . I went to the local audio shop which is very sub par to ask the guy if he had an SPL meter but it only went up to like 100 he listened to it and said I was hitting probably in the 140s but there is no way I'm hitting 140 I don't believe it

sounds like you have more problems than wanting more bass. i'd chase down those rattle first. close celled foam between the trim panel and whatever its mounted too. read up on sound deadening at sounddeadenershowdown.com. 

i know you've listed the specs of your current enclosure but i haven't seen you mention the port area. just want to make sure you build the current box correctly. 

when i get back to my appt next week i can model some subs if no one else has helped you out. 

sounds like you have more problems than wanting more bass. i'd chase down those rattle first. close celled foam between the trim panel and whatever its mounted too. read up on sound deadening at sounddeadenershowdown.com.

i know you've listed the specs of your current enclosure but i haven't seen you mention the port area. just want to make sure you build the current box correctly.

when i get back to my appt next week i can model some subs if no one else has helped you out.

Awesome I appreciate that. As far as port its just a single slot port tuned at 32 hz with internal net at 4 cubes with displacement its around 3.6 cubic feet . I sound deadened the fire out of my trunk and door panels iit is way better than it was it doesn't buzz in the cab area but if you stand outside of the Car it sounds pretty wild. I still have a ton of deadener left about 75 sq foot its just such a pain getting everything when I get the time I deaden a little more as I go like I said though it has already helped tremendously . I want to stick with a 2 twelve setup as I listen to a lot of metal and have heard 15s get behind on that style of music but I do listen to a lot of rap as well hell even country but the lows I get are still pretty impressive . the three subwoofers I have been interested in are sq hds300, american bass xfl and possibly sundown sa 12 but I don't want to run the sa at 2400 watt I want to get full power from the amp on whatever I end up getting and the other sub's than the sa have 3 inch coils not sure if that makes a big difference???

The sub's I really want are fi bl 12 inch but not sure if I could fit the best enclosure for them with the space I have . they would be a few hundred watts short of their thermal rating if I did go with the fi

Way off subject here but how do I put a picture for my profile

The sub's I really want are fi bl 12 inch but not sure if I could fit the best enclosure for them with the space I have . they would be a few hundred watts short of their thermal rating if I did go with the fi

Just remember the Thermal rating has absolutely nothing to do with power requirements, at all!

Just remember the Thermal rating has absolutely nothing to do with power requirements, at all!

I did my research and I understand that now but I guess I have a hard time thinking of buying a higher end sub and not running it max I guess I've been brainwashed by a bunch of bs that isn't accurate. But would it be suitable to get a higher end sub and not giving it max. It confuses me as to why people run almost double wattage at times and brag how much louder it is

I did my research and I understand that now but I guess I have a hard time thinking of buying a higher end sub and not running it max I guess I've been brainwashed by a bunch of bs that isn't accurate. But would it be suitable to get a higher end sub and not giving it max. It confuses me as to why people run almost double wattage at times and brag how much louder it is

Under powering your woofer can lead to damage as the same as over overpowering due to damage from distortion..while they are some that are rated "for example" 1500 watts rms and can handle 2000 watts all day long..Not wise though to give 250 rms to a sub that is over not rated with a 750 rms..really all depends on the manufacture. IMO

Under powering your woofer can lead to damage as the same as over overpowering due to damage from distortion..while they are some that are rated "for example" 1500 watts rms and can handle 2000 watts all day long..Not wise though to give 250 rms to a sub that is over not rated with a 750 rms..really all depends on the manufacture. IMO

if the sub is from a reputable manufacturer than underpowering isn't an issue. just trying to avoid confusing the OP. 

Wouldn't listening at a low volume be the same as quote on quote under powering? I believe this myth has been debunked on this forum though.

Awesome I appreciate that. As far as port its just a single slot port tuned at 32 hz with internal net at 4 cubes with displacement its around 3.6 cubic feet . I sound deadened the fire out of my trunk and door panels iit is way better than it was it doesn't buzz in the cab area but if you stand outside of the Car it sounds pretty wild. I still have a ton of deadener left about 75 sq foot its just such a pain getting everything when I get the time I deaden a little more as I go like I said though it has already helped tremendously . I want to stick with a 2 twelve setup as I listen to a lot of metal and have heard 15s get behind on that style of music but I do listen to a lot of rap as well hell even country but the lows I get are still pretty impressive . the three subwoofers I have been interested in are sq hds300, american bass xfl and possibly sundown sa 12 but I don't want to run the sa at 2400 watt I want to get full power from the amp on whatever I end up getting and the other sub's than the sa have 3 inch coils not sure if that makes a big difference???

port area is the height and width of the port. 

i still recommend your read sounddeadenershowdown.com, the info is invaluable to anyone in the hobby. 

the larger sub = sloppy bass is bs. been to a movie theater or music concert? how big are those speakers? 

its actually an issue with overall frequency response that responsible. 

Wouldn't listening at a low volume be the same as quote on quote under powering? I believe this myth has been debunked on this forum though.

yep, i think mike is refering to sub that may overrated from the manufacturer so in the case of underpowering the sub, its still over powered.

in any case the number isn't important. if you pay attention to the sub (listen and smell) for signs of overpowering then you shouldn't have an issue. 

I'll take some measurements when I get the chance its pouring rain outside ATM .