Sign in to follow this  
MadRass

13W7 vs 2RL-p 12's

I'm running 2 rl-p 12's off of a 1200 watt infinity amp (im never getting an infinity amp again) in about 1.25 cubes each sub. My brother is running a 13W7 off of the JL 1000 monoblock i think its in a 2 cube box. His W7 beats me in the higher and lower frequency bass notes but i do keep up in the lower notes. But overall he kills me. I was really hoping i could just bash up his w7 with these 2 12's. Any tips on how i can kill my compitition with this beast. Yeah I am pretty sure going ported will do it but im not sure if i want to go that rout. THanx.

I think a better amp might help because this infinity amp is clipping like crazy.

The RL-p's should take the cake.

But if the amp is clipping maybe its time for something with a bit more power

the dual 12s in the right box should walk over a single 13...

but might need more power, larger air space, more current available to the amplifer, just a suggestion,

any questions you have post them up so we can help

Is the enclosure ported?  It doesnt sound like it.  Going ported would help out alot.

for sure, the RL-ps do come alive with good clean power in 2.0 cubes ported from 28-34 hz

and depending on how much power that infinity puts out, you might not need to change amps. I am planning on putting 600rms on an RL-p 15 once i get money and he said that is perfect in a ported box, right in the middle of what he recommends to them.

A true 1200 watts in a ported box on the RL-p is entirely unecessary and only adds additional stress to the driver imo. Sealed boxes can be a little tricky on the RL-p12s because they do drop off quick if they are too small, and the output is considerably more impressive in a vented setup. Your 1.25 cu ft should sound great - though indeed if your primary goal is SPL, you may be left with some desire unfullfilled.

If SPL is your primary goal, and you are standing firm behind the idea of a sealed enclosure - I would suggest movin' on up to 2.0 cu ft per driver and hittin' each speaker with a clean 1000 watts. However, if you are willing to build a more complicated and likely larger enclosure - the use of a vented box will really make the RL-p's come alive in terms of output, and can be used effectively with 600 watts a piece. Built properly, they can also retain a relatively flat response offering clean and accurate transitions.

For the 12" RL-p, I would suggest 1.5 cu ft @ 34 Hz for economy of space while retaining excellent output alongside a good response curve. However if you have the room, I would ideally suggest 2.0 cu ft @ 28 Hz for in-car use of the RL-p12 - which will allow for a deep, smooth, and loud setup. Of course, if SPL is really your primary goal, you should tune up in the mid to upper 30's.. but you won't often hear me recommend larger + higher tuned enclosures 'cause that's just not where I get off in this game ;)

Good luck tweakin' your system - be sure to fill us in on the progress! beer.gif

thats quite strange because my friend's sealed 12" rl-p is about dead even w/ his brother 12w7 (also sealed w/ a bigger box) in terms of output but it takes the cake in SQ... my first question is, what kind of cars do you two have?

Well I have my setup in a 1999 maxima SE and his w7 is in a 2002 Sentra SE-R. I thought this would have a good deal to do with the output. But short and simple his setup is still louder. I think I will build another box with 1.75-2 cubes per sub and also change the amp. I have a good deal on a brutus 2000w does anyone have any feedback on this amp. It would be much appreciated thnx. I dont think I am going to go ported though. I wanna put a whopping on his JL sealed first and then just blow it out going ported later. Arright thanx ill let you guys know how it goes thanx for the input.

honestly I do not think tha Hi Fonics is going to put out anywhere near 2k watts, like mike said above, the RL-p can take the power but it does not need it,

ported with 600- 800 watts is PLENTY, yes many people run the RL-p with 1200+ watts but it really is not needed for daily

thats quite strange because my friend's sealed 12" rl-p is about dead even w/ his brother 12w7 (also sealed w/ a bigger box) in terms of output but it takes the cake in SQ...  my first question is, what kind of cars do you two have?

My buddy has a Lincoln Mark VIII with a 12w7 and I have an M5 with an RLp. Our setups are sealed vs sealed and we both think my system is as loud and has better sq.

edit: forgot to add both are being powered by the same amp and getting 500w.

thats quite strange because my friend's sealed 12" rl-p is about dead even w/ his brother 12w7 (also sealed w/ a bigger box) in terms of output but it takes the cake in SQ...  my first question is, what kind of cars do you two have?

My buddy has a Lincoln Mark VIII with a 12w7 and I have an M5 with an RLp. Our setups are sealed vs sealed and we both think my system is as loud and has better sq.

edit: forgot to add both are being powered by the same amp and getting 500w.

:coolugh:

Well I have my setup in a 1999 maxima SE and his w7 is in a 2002 Sentra SE-R. I thought this would have a good deal to do with the output. But short and simple his setup is still louder. I think I will build another box with 1.75-2 cubes per sub and also change the amp. I have a good deal on a brutus 2000w does anyone have any feedback on this amp. It would be much appreciated thnx. I dont think I am going to go ported though. I wanna put a whopping on his JL sealed first and then just blow it out going ported later. Arright thanx ill let you guys know how it goes thanx for the input.

response in those two cars should be pretty similar. the sentra is obviously smaller and has a tad more SPL potential, but when it really comes down to it, those 4th gen max's are great for systems. i would have to say it might be an issue w/ your amp because sealed rl-p's still pound and sound sexy... i don't mean to offend you w/ your shoe tying abilities but your subs are both d2 correct?

Edited by ighettoboyi

i don't mean to offend you w/ your shoe tying abilities but your subs are both d2 correct?

:wacky:

Lol yes they are both dual 2ohm wired to 2 ohm. I actually think it is my box quality. Today I switched my subs into a different box but similar specs except it was 5/8 MDF (yeah i know i should have them in at least 3/4). But actually they appeared to hit harder. Soon i am going to build my own box. But i am going to see what is up with the old box i was using. Ill update again soon. Thnx

With that power, I'd want more than 3/4...at least on the baffle.

my 3/4" mdf flexes w/ two of these biches :(

3/4" MDF is plenty strong enough for the walls, but you need bracing, even with 1" or more you would still need bracing and if you don't you'll lose a lot of power from your subwoofer because that energy is going into moving that box, not creating sound waves.

On the baffel go with a 1.25" or more.

Edited by 7

My guess at the problem is prefab

I had 2 12's in 1.75 cf each sealed, with only 400W apiece, and I would feel comfortable saying that My car was louder and cleaner than most W7 setups I've heard.

Yesterday I was testing the 2 12's in 2.25cf, tuned to 30hz with about 30 sq. in. of port, and 1500w apiece... blew my box apart :P

I admit it was the side that I was lazy and didn't put screws in so that's my own fault, but I can say that the difference between ported and sealed (oh yeah, and having almost 4x the power) is huge. My roof was flexing a good 2 inches (Thats alot in my car)

sounds sweet!