Florida_Audio

Is changing passive crossover same as changing headunit EQ?

Is changing passive crossover same as changing headunit EQ?

like i have a 9 band parametric EQ on my alpine 164-bt.

and i have alpine spr 60c component speakers. the highs are very harsh. and im debating attempting to mess with my doors to edit the crossover. i have absolutely no clue what im doing with it. and dont want to risk much. i cannot find any videos for the year my car is. i have 2013 hyundai elantra coupe. only video i saw was for a 2005 elantra, 4 door. mine is a 2 door also and many years later.

and about the passive crossover. i cant find any pictures only or guides on how to change and edit the crossover? what exactly is an EQ changing. and what exactly is the crossover setting changing? the same thing?

i just want to lower the harshness of the highs.

ive heard people say they do -2 or -4 db from crossover for tweeters...? but db is volume? that seems like what i need to edit.

and ive also heard u edit the high pass or low pass filters on crossovers? so is this the same? this is the frequencies right? so its different than editing the db?

Start with sharing your setup like we asked in the other thread....

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

Start with sharing your setup like we asked in the other thread....

what do you mean by setup?

like this?

2013 hyundai elantra coupe.

front component speakers, alpine SPR 60c

amplifier is Pioneer GM-D8604

and headunit is alpine 164bt

4 gauge knu koncepts amp kit wire

No. EVERY setting and pictures.  We already went over this....no one can help you without it.  Shop is just taking your money atm and it won't help!!

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

No. EVERY setting and pictures.  We already went over this....no one can help you without it.  Shop is just taking your money atm and it won't help!!

ok yes, i will see if i can take off my door panel tomorrow morning.

my bad. i cdidnt think about that as in setup. yes you did mention pictures. sorry. thanks !

i hope its not very difficult to take off the panel. i would probably only have to disconnect one or two cables?

i dont have room at all in apartment parking spaces

its difficult to even open my doors in the narrow parking. i will see what i can do

The settings are equally important.  Any knob you can change would be good to know what it is at including the head unit settings.

On 4/10/2016 at 11:36 PM, Florida_Audio said:

ok yes, i will see if i can take off my door panel tomorrow morning.

my bad. i cdidnt think about that as in setup. yes you did mention pictures. sorry. thanks !

i hope its not very difficult to take off the panel. i would probably only have to disconnect one or two cables?

i dont have room at all in apartment parking spaces

its difficult to even open my doors in the narrow parking. i will see what i can do

I'm going to suggest any/all car audio work you do is NOT at your apartment complex, people will jack your shit.  Find a friend with a house that lives several miles away (hopefully they have some tools) and do it at their house.

4 hours ago, SS Teacher said:

I'm going to suggest any/all car audio work you do is NOT at your apartment complex, people will jack your shit.  Find a friend with a house that lives several miles away (hopefully they have some tools) and do it at their house.

even just taking off the panels to see the install? i wont be installing or removing anything?

i do want to take the panel off the set the tweeter attenuation at -2 db or -4 db to see how it changes things.

i actually was thinking about this before you mentioned it. yea i am scarred of people seeing it and thinking hey lets steal this shit. but i dont know if it will look too inviting if im just taking panels off for 30 min? could look like im just changing the door handle or something?

Taking a door panel off to check some things and replace speakers will be fine. Now playind bass loudly or removing or installing sub boxes may invite unwanted eyes.

1 hour ago, jcarter1885 said:

Taking a door panel off to check some things and replace speakers will be fine. Now playind bass loudly or removing or installing sub boxes may invite unwanted eyes.

true. makes sense. thanks.

im looking into disconnecting the car battery now... pretty sure i should do this?

even though im only taking off the panel

i dont think the air bags are in the panel... but idk. i guess its better to be safe?

Edited by Florida_Audio

On 4/10/2016 at 8:01 AM, ///M5 said:

The settings are equally important.  Any knob you can change would be good to know what it is at including the head unit settings.

ok lets start here....

i just took off door panels.

i could not figure out the negative terminal on my battery. there were 2 nuts or bolts, or whatever, things holding the negative portion in place. and neither one seemed to work with disconnecting.

so i still took off door panels. but did not disconnect anything electrical on them. just took them off a few inches. and i took a few pics of what i could. it seems like they put the 1 ft by 1 ft, dynamat sound deadener over the birch wood speaker spacer... which should help protect the speaker spacer from moisture i hope.

but i could not tell if they used a gasket tape for the speakers. which i wanted to look for. but the deadener is covering that area.

not sure if it was happening before i just took off panels. but the rear speakers in my car are NOT working at all now. i tried using the fader on headunit and changing other settings, and putting headunit to default, and still no rear speaker volume....

but i changed the tweeter attenuation on the passive crossover to -4b. it seemed to help a slight bit. not much. the lowest setting is -6 db. i will probably change it to that later. but the door panels came off very easy. just extremely difficult to line up properly to place them back on.

any reason why the rear speakers worked before. but now they dont? they worked after the shop installed the amp , headunit, and front speakers.  and the front speakers are hooked up to the amp. the rear speakers should just be hooked up to the headunit. and the rear speakers are factory.

wondering if the rear speakers could have blown from something? or maybe when i opened the door panels in the front, it somehow messed with wiring for the rear speakerS? i highly doubt the front panels affected them though....

and heres the images of what i could take. sorry for horrible angle...

wc0xHix.jpg

F4CjYR5.jpg

Edited by Florida_Audio

They put deadening on the parts that are dead and not on the parts that are sources of structure borne noise?  Wtfbbq??

What shop did you go to???? Looks like they only 1/2 assed it.

J

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

What shop did you go to???? Looks like they only 1/2 assed it.

J

why do u say this :[

its a store sort of close by. they had the best reviews online. compared to a few others around same distance.

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

They put deadening on the parts that are dead and not on the parts that are sources of structure borne noise?  Wtfbbq??

yeah thats a good point... idk. the dynamat kit says speaker kit. its only 1 ft by 1 ft or so. and yeah weird that they still put it by speaker. idk.

As M5 said they did your deadening wrong, and something tells me they just cranked up everything to make it sound good. 

Additionally, online reviews are nice. But anyone can write them. Talk to people in the community in person who dom't work at those shops. See who they go to, or if they do their own shit if they will take a job to do yours and maybe teach you a thing or two.

J

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

As M5 said they did your deadening wrong, and something tells me they just cranked up everything to make it sound good. 

Additionally, online reviews are nice. But anyone can write them. Talk to people in the community in person who dom't work at those shops. See who they go to, or if they do their own shit if they will take a job to do yours and maybe teach you a thing or two.

J

idk how to meet these people? not many people really care about their car audio, let alone know how to do it. at least of people who i know and have spoken to. a few people i know from college got their stuff dont back at their homes at local shops.

and by cranking it up to make it sound good, u mean they set the gains too high on purpose? cause im going back tomorrow to ask about the hissing noise. maybe a ground issue, maybe the gains. i didnt touch anything, just so they can fix it, whatever it is, because i already paid to have this job done well.

idk why, but my speakers sound great at low volume. but the mid bass doesnt really shine until the volume is raised. and when i raise the volume to get good midbass, then the tweeters are way too high and hurt to listen to. this is why im asking about the tweeters. im considering placing a cloth over the outside, on the door panel to cover the tweeters a bit, to lower their harshness...

lowering the treble on the EQ on the headunit, does help with the harshness a bit, but it also seems to lower the quality of the tweeter sound. and it seems when raising volume on headunit and lowering the treble, makes the tweeters prone to heavy distortion, sounds like clipping almost. i just want to lower the volume of the tweeter, separate from the volume of the midbass speaker.

Edited by Florida_Audio

ok update and some questions!... i feel quite stupid. my bad.... a bit of it......

im man enough to admit when i am wrong. and i was wrong. the rear speakers work still. they are hooked up to the headunit like i asked. they are factory. apparently the settings i thought were for the rear speakers, are not the only settings. there is a setting on my headunit that turns off its amp or output or something to the speakers in case you are using an amp. i apparently turned this on. and it caused on the external amp to work, but turned off the rear speakers, that are hooked up to the headunit.

so the rear speakers are fine....

they gave me back my speaker wire once i asked.... sort of sad i had to ask, but it could have been an honest mistake.

the owner of the shop is the person i dont really like. (even though i told the owner twice, when he mentioned that i told them to turn the gain up on the amp because the volume was low, i told him a third time, that we never had that talk. i never told him to turn the gain up or the volume was too low. he told me this again when i saw him in person, and immediately i told him that was not true. it was slightly awkward, but i said it firmly once again. i was not looking to argue over something so petty, and luckily he just stopped after i said that it didnt happen. i feel like he was trying to make it be my fault for whatever was happening. although the gains seem to be set properly anyway....)  the guy who worked on my car seemed knowledgeable and very helpful, he was a nice dude.

ok and now for the hissing.... ugh.

the mechanic explained that the hissing occurs in his system as well, and many others that he has seen, when using the aux input. which is all i use for my car. the cd player and bluetooth both have absolutely zero hissing at max volume on headunit

but the aux input has hissing at volume 1. and the hissing is very noticeable at volume 10 and up. i only hear the hissing when theres a low volume point in the music, or no music. i guess its my headunit? doubt its the gains, if the bluetooth and cd player both have no hissing. can it still be a ground issue with the headunit? or is this normal for aux inputs?

also a question. the max volume on the headunit is 35. at around volume 22, i believe i start to get clipping. thats around 60% of the max volume on headunit. is this normal? would it be better to lower the gain a bit? would this possibly allow to have louder sound before it starts to clip? not just number on volume, but sound as well be louder?  ( i have read up on gains and clipping, but not sure if this is possible? it seems gains dont really affect max volume before clipping?  just the volume knob, but not the actual hearing volume? or can setting the gain a bit lower, allow the actual volume to be louder and better quality before it clips?)

Thanks all!

Edited by Florida_Audio

Stop typing books without the information we asked.  NO ONE can help you without it.  Pretty sure there is one or two simple settings you have completely jacked which screws everything up.  Trying to trouble shoot with general terms is impossible.

It would be akin to you asking a mechanic to trouble shoot your car over the internet and all you tell him is that you have a car, this cars brake pedal goes down 60%.  What is wrong?