jj_spike

2, RL-i8 DVC w 750WRMS

Hi all,

I will be running 2, RL-i8's via an MMATS D1100.1 (2006 model) which outputs 750WRMS at 1 ohm. Each driver will have a full .414 cu^3 and will be in sealed enclosure. I was hoping that the MMATS would output slightly more than the rated power. Unfortunately, the amp does not come with a birthsheet so I have no way of knowing.

Will the RL-i8's perform well with this particular setup? I was hoping to run a 900 WRMS amp however I picked up the MMATS for a great price. I increased the original volume from .3 cu^3 to .414 cu^3 in order to compensate somewhat.

This is going into a Toyota Matrix in the hatch area with the drivers firing upwards. What do you think?

Regards,

JJ

Edited by jj_spike

More than enough wattage. I had mine on 100W and it was moving pretty good

They should pound nice.

However, i wouldve used the volume off the site. LEAP doesnt lie

I was pressed for space as I did not want to consume too much hatch area. Were you referring to the .5 cu^3 per sub figure?

Thanks

JJ

They should pound nice.

I was pressed for space as I did not want to consume too much hatch area. Were you referring to the .5 cu^3 per sub figure?

Thanks

JJ

They should pound nice.

Yes, you only need about .2-.3

I agree, I cannot wait until I can build for my RL-i 8

I understand that is a .2-.3 enclosure is used, the recommended amount of power is about 450-500 watts. As I am not an enclosure designer I am not sure if my sightly larger, .414, cabinet would reduce the requirement for power.

I believe Mike stated that you could place the RL-i8 into an .5 sealed box for better low end response. Is there a tool that I can use to plug in speaker parameters and my box volume in order to calculate response and optimal output frequency? I tried WinISD pro however it threw-up when I entered the parameters for the RL-i8.

Thanks

Thanks

JJ

They should pound nice.

Yes, you only need about .2-.3

Here ya go:

RL-i8-sealed.gif

Solid pink 0.2cuft

Dashed salmon 0.6cuft

Green 0.07cuft

I have seen this graph. Again, excuse my lack of knowledge on this topic. On what premis are these graphs generated? Does the software figure that .2 or .6 are the "best" sizes for this driver or are these sizes used simply for comparison?

Also, what does the dB output actually mean? What input is used? If someone can explain this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

JJ

Here ya go:

RL-i8-sealed.gif

Solid pink 0.2cuft

Dashed salmon 0.6cuft

Green 0.07cuft

I would like to build to get something more out of the 25 - 70 hz range.

Graph generated to show response in free-free environment. The db's are relative to show the roll-off of the enclosure. The .2 and .6 are relative to show you a couple examples, neither are best unless you are looking for the flattest response possible in which the .2 wins, but you will notice at a slight lack of lfe. In your car this will all change though. I would start like you are, a little larger as it is easy to make an enclosure smaller if it ends up being too peaky. And Denim you know if you want more 20-70 go for a ported near .4cuft and it will be there. I plugged mine in last night for the first time in a little less than .5cuft and am so far extremely satisfied. Of course, I had no front stage playing along with it so we shall see how she blends. It is getting about 300w.

Thanks for the explanation! This why Mike stated .5 for better bottom-end extension.

How many RL-i8's are you running and are they in a sealed enclosure? How much power are you providing?

Thanks

Graph generated to show response in free-free environment.  The db's are relative to show the roll-off of the enclosure.  The .2 and .6 are relative to show you a couple examples, neither are best unless you are looking for the flattest response possible in which the .2 wins, but you will notice at a slight lack of lfe.  In your car this will all change though.  I would start like you are, a little larger as it is easy to make an enclosure smaller if it ends up being too peaky.  And Denim you know if you want more 20-70 go for a ported near .4cuft and it will be there.  I plugged mine in last night for the first time in a little less than .5cuft and am so far extremely satisfied.  Of course, I had no front stage playing along with it so we shall see how she blends.  It is getting about 300w.

I have 1 with 300w, but no hu yet so I was just tapping in off another vehicles system to give her a listen.

BTW

The software is Linerar X's LEAP 4

I want to say industry standard but im shure there are others out there

Hey M5,

how was the impact in your cabin? I have never run single or dual 8's - especially the high-excursion units. I do recall listening to an Alpine demo van with a pair of 8's installed and it was very tight with decent impact. This must have been about 12 years ago. I am sure the RL-i8's will perform MUCH better.

Actually, Fedex was just here with my pair or RL-i8's!!!!! I will rotozip the cabinet tonight and install the drivers. I will test them with a 2400 WRMS Yorkville pro amp (with subs wired in series for 4 ohm load). I will be careful of course.....

Thanks!

I have 1 with 300w, but no hu yet so I was just tapping in off another vehicles system to give her a listen.

Dont forget to add fiberglass insulation or if you cant get any poly fill.

It makes the woofer sound much better.

Not sure. Haven't run it in the cabin yet, ask me next week...

edit: I am flying to SoCal today so it will be the weekend before the rest gets in

And Denim you know if you want more 20-70 go for a ported near .4cuft and it will be there.  I plugged mine in last night for the first time in a little less than .5cuft and am so far extremely satisfied.  Of course, I had no front stage playing along with it so we shall see how she blends.  It is getting about 300w.

thats what mike said, to port it

maybe a quintuplet sealed might be the sound I am looking for :wacko:

i dunno..i'm running mine in .17ft^3 sealed off <300wrms in house and it's absolutely beautiful. blends wonderfully with the pair of dayton alum 7's and hifi textile dome tweets in .66ft^# tuned to 40hz

gets nice and low and plenty damn loud too!

it's in a room roughly 12 x 10

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

My pair of RL-i8's are installed and man, do they play low! Thanks for all of your help!

JJ

PIX?