Sign in to follow this  
jj_spike

dynamat inside enclosure??

I have read that some folks have installed dynamat on the inside walls of their sub enclosures. Would this improve output?

Thanks

JJ

I'm with Eldo on this one. All deadener does is increase mass, thereby decreasing vibration. It can help to increase output, but does more to help to increase sound quality by minimizing reverberation/vibration. It would be much cheaper and easier to simply use thicker MDF in your enclosure, or add another layer of MDF.

Bracing and fiberglass reenforcement FTW!

Bracing and fiberglass reenforcement FTW!

Obviously one should have already considered that. Good inclusion.

If you're trying to reduce enclosure vibration, bracing the middle of the panel perpendicular to it is going to get far more of an improvement than simply mass loading the panels. The ultimate would be several "swiss-cheese" like bracing panels in the middle, as a new poster showed in his home theater enclosure recently on here :)

Invoke the law of diminishing returns wherever you feel like it...

I thought bracing would be a better option. I added a centre brace to the cabinet prior to installing my RL-i8's tonight.

Thanks for the feedback!

JJ

I had some scraps of Peal & Seal lying around after I had finished my box, so I used them to line the inside of my (fiberglass) enclosure. As far as I can tell, it made absolutely no difference. :)