Rc 415

Unstoppable Amp whine!

I have tried 3 diffrent grounds all to bare metal frame of my truck, and I can not get the whine to go away, what can I do??? Its a MD2 Btw.

Edited by Rc 415

I have tried 3 diffrent grounds all to bare metal frame of my truck, and I can not get the whine to go away, what can I do??? Its a MD2 Btw.

what size groudn u using check your radio's ground also keep it short as possible

cud be your alty need servicing also

Ok, I did a little bit more research in my car and here is what I have found out:

1) Its not the RCA's, How do I know? because I unplugged them from the amp and head unit and the whine was still there.

2) Its not the alt, How do I know? because the amp whines even when the motor is not running.

Also, some of the radio AM stations are messed up and have a strange noise coming from them when the amp is connected.

I am using 1/0 Ground and 1/0 power cable. My radio is grounded at the stock location wherever that is, the place that installed it just connected it to the original harness with a harness adapter.

Check the ground on your amp, see if any of your speaker wires go to ground, and turn down your gains then let us know what happened.

The amp ground is good as far as I can tell, I have tried 3 diffrent places all bare metal. none of the speakers ground, and ajusting the gain does not alter the whine, I've turned it all the way down and nothing.

if the grounds are solid (i mean connections aren't sloppy, and attached to the metal very well) and unplugging the rca's doesn't work...then you need to send the amp off to service....

also, replace the rca's anyway and check your radio ground. regardless of what harness was used, if a radio ground is bad, it'll ground through whatever it can, usually rca outputs, which will fry an amp. and possibly the radio preoputs...

so here's a checklist..

1) remove amp, send in for fixing. (i'd all but guarantee it needs it)

2) remove head unit. make sure ALL connections are good, into harness, antenna (including any adapters).

3) trace factory ground for head unit, make sure it's solid. wouldn't hurt to add a new shorter ground in any case.

4) while head unit is out, might be a good time to have it looked at. make sure it didn't mess up anything internally as well.

5) replace rca's. they aren't that expensive and just incase something in them (ie; short) caused the problem, you'll not have that to worry about.

good luck bro. i hope it isn't nothing to serious, but we've had that happen at work. bad radio gorund led to amp getting messed up due to the radio grounding thru the rca's.....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Well thats a bummer, I'll call US Amps tomorrow then and see if I can send it in. One other thing I noticed, is that the ground coming from the amp is live, when I was looking for a better ground I put the ring connector over a bolt and it sparked, it would spark every time I moved it while it was touching metal, is that supposed to happen?

The ground completes the circuit, so in a sense it is live. If there is power coming through the positive line as well.

Yeah, but I had the battery disconnected, its not doing it now however, still trying grounds and still whining.

Caps keep a charge. Make sure head unit has a grounded RCA output. If using audio control processor make sure to use ground setting and not balanced or 200 ohm which may make amp pop and pick up noise. Also, use one ground point for whole system.

Caps keep a charge. Make sure head unit has a grounded RCA output. If using audio control processor make sure to use ground setting and not balanced or 200 ohm which may make amp pop and pick up noise. Also, use one ground point for whole system.

Thanks JR, I actually do have an Audio Control processor and forgot to check that setting. You should post here more often. We could use your expertise. Or at least I know I could.

Glad that helped big ken.

Eldorado you will be happy to know that 2007 amps will no longer need a ground as reference on RCA.

hehe new merlins = sexay....seriously...they are going to be Dead SEXAY. i doubt people will criticize them for thier looks anymore

I am looking forward to what is released, seems like the MD3 just came out.

buahhaha but dont know when its gonna come out.... wasnt told the release date.

I am looking forward to what is released, seems like the MD3 just came out.

Yes, the 2006 MD# opened the door for the new 2007 MD which also has 38% better damping Factor as well other improvments.

I'm having this problem with my XT1600.4

Help?

So you did all listed above? do you have sereral grounds or is full system on 1 ground only?

call greg at 626 833-2177