Sign in to follow this  
Fast1one

I hate my tunk car....

Ok heres the deal. Im getting ready to sell my Assassins to go with a different setup. Im especially intereseted in the MJ18.

After playing around with different box sizes, I have calculated that the biggest box I can get out of the Maxima is about 8.5 cubes NET while sitll being able to take it in and out of the car. What would you guys do with this space?

I have a few otions. I can port two Mj's with about 4 cubes each after all displacement. two 4 inch ports would be used. Will this choke the 18s too much? I can seal each MJ in 4 cubes or less. Or I can do a single ported MJ in about 8 cubes.

With a dual setup (4 ohm version)Each MJ will recieve 500 watts. With only one, the power would be 450watts. Which would you choose? Thanks for the help, great site you guys have here I cant believe I never stubled across it :)

-Serg

nissan maxima pho0l...

don't you beemer guys read?

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

nissan maxima pho0l...

don't you beemer guys read?

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

You are correct :D ANy opinions?

Edited by Fast1one

Ok heres the deal. Im getting ready to sell my Assassins to go with a different setup. Im especially intereseted in the MJ18.

After playing around with different box sizes, I have calculated that the biggest box I can get out of the Maxima is about 8.5 cubes NET while sitll being able to take it in and out of the car. What would you guys do with this space?

I have a few otions. I can port two Mj's with about 4 cubes each after all displacement. two 4 inch ports would be used. Will this choke the 18s too much? I can seal each MJ in 4 cubes or less. Or I can do a single ported MJ in about 8 cubes.

With a dual setup (4 ohm version)Each MJ will recieve 500 watts. With only one, the power would be 450watts. Which would you choose? Thanks for the help, great site you guys have here I cant believe I never stubled across it :)

-Serg

For the subs, I have not tried them yet, but I think someone is writting a review. Mark might be the best word on them at the moment. As for the decision, I would usually try one out and if it is not enough output add a second sub. That way you can work with the single sub and find the right box for it before you are messing with 2 of them.

As for the forum, welcome to SSA, and please tell your friends we love new members!

4cuft is kinda small for an 18 :)

Since none of us have used one yet it is hard to recommend. My gut feel is that you can surely make it work.

Lol on the Maxima. I read your post and for some reason thought you had a Maxima, but re-read it two more times and missed it so I had to ask. So to answer you mmray, us bm'er guys read but obviously too fast to comprehend everything.

Since none of us have used one yet it is hard to recommend.  My gut feel is that you can surely make it work.

Lol on the Maxima.  I read your post and for some reason thought you had a Maxima, but re-read it two more times and missed it so I had to ask.  So to answer you mmray, us bm'er guys read but obviously too fast to comprehend everything.

or....

:lol2:

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Hi Serg,

Unfortunately, I come up a bit short on the car audio department (man, how ironic), but my initial tests with the MJ-18 before I committed to it was in a 3.5cube box with a 5" port - can't recall the length or the tuning off hand.

The box was modeled for a flat response. I was impressed by the punch it produced, but it lacked in the nether regions. Eqing helped this tho, and in no time I had it to a level that the wife liked - she's a bass monger.

Hope this helps. Others will be testing the MJ-18 fairly soon, so I'll shut up and let them speak their minds about it.

Best regards,

Mark

Im going to go ahead and try four cubes and see how it sounds. I know its kinda small for an 18, but the ED 18 for example (which will never come out, lol) Can work in a vented box as small as 3.5 cubes per their website. Its only MDF, I can always sell one and make a bigger box for the second.

Lets get rolling on the 4 ohm versions, Mark. Im ready to buy :woot:

Edited by Fast1one

^^ i think we've been over that already

i have an Infiniti I30 which is just a maxima and i have my doubts about you getting an 8.5cuft box in that trunck while being able to pull it out...

i have a 4cuft in the trunk now and i got it in but i have yet to be able to get it out...i tried a few times...lol

Next time i'm just gonna pull the woofers out first...

IMHO i think you can get away with in and around 5cubes and still pull it in and out but not 8.5...:eek:

i have an Infiniti I30 which is just a maxima and i have my doubts about you getting an 8.5cuft box in that trunck while being able to pull it out...

i have a 4cuft in the trunk now and i got it in but i have yet to be able to get it out...i tried a few times...lol

Next time i'm just gonna pull the woofers out first...

IMHO i think you can get away with in and around 5cubes and still pull it in and out but not 8.5...:eek:

Yeah I would not push it, not worth it IMO.

I wouldnt think u needed an 18 to be honest wt u.

2 nice 12's shuold be just fine.

I'm not sayin ur waisting ur money but, just because you change the size of ur sub doesn't mean ur going to be any louder. Especially if ur using th esame wattage as before, in my eyes all i can see is that ur losing cone area, ur going from 24in of cone area to 18 totall. The assassing are what 250rms so 500all together and now ur getting 600 all together. Last time i checked 100watts isnt audible.

Not flaming, but you remind me of my friend who kept buying cheap subs and amps and wondering why it wasn't as loud as mines, i mean just cuz i have 2 18's dont mean nothing now having 2 18's and 2500watts is a diffrent story.

all u need is 1200watts if that and u shouldn't be able to sit in ur car.

and i'll leave you wt this quote that fits so well to this topic.

Stop Now And Spend Your Money Wisely

Why pay money to fix your system when you don

my eyes all i can see is that ur losing cone area, ur going from 24in of cone area to 18 totall. The assassing are what 250rms so 500all together and now ur getting 600 all together. Last time i checked 100watts isnt audible.

area of a circle=pi*r^2

this actual cone area would be increasing roughly 100 square inches.

you would also experience less phase cancellation by going with a single driver rather than two.

being louder is very enclosure dependent, but the potential is there :fing34:

wtf r u talkin bout?

24*24=576

576*3.14=1808

18*18=324

324*3.14=1017

who ever complains about sub cancellation? unless its some weird configuration and the subs are facing each other or something of that sort.

right enclosure dependent meaning that, 2 subs in an adequate enclosure is going to sound better than one that is not big enough.

wtf r u talkin bout?

24*24=576

576*3.14=1808

18*18=324

324*3.14=1017

who ever complains about sub cancellation? unless its some weird configuration and the subs are facing each other or something of that sort.

close, but no cigar ;)

2 12" subs

sd=pi*r^2

sd=pi*6^2

sd=3.14*36

sd=113.04 square inches

113.04*2=226.08 square inches total

1 18" sub

sd=pi*r^2

sd=3.14*9^2

sd=3.14*81

sd=254.34 square inches

sorry about my total i gave earlier; i used diameter where radius was applicable.

as for phase cancellation, it happens whether someone "complains about it" or not. the two subs will not be perfectly in phase throughout all cycles at every frequency and as such, there will be *some* phase cancellation. realistically, i guess this is not a very big concern because wavelengths are so long at this point that any minimal phase differences are not a big deal when considering the audibility of said differences.

but the cone area still holds true. this is not taking into account the true effective piston area of each sub, but an 18" circle has a larger area than 2 12" circles.

Edited by Punk0Rama

I wouldnt think u needed an 18 to be honest wt u.

2 nice 12's shuold be just fine.

I'm not sayin ur waisting ur money but, just because you change the size of ur sub doesn't mean ur going to be any louder. Especially if ur using th esame wattage as before, in my eyes all i can see is that ur losing cone area, ur going from 24in of cone area to 18 totall. The assassing are what 250rms so 500all together and now ur getting 600 all together. Last time i checked 100watts isnt audible.

Not flaming, but you remind me of my friend who kept buying cheap subs and amps and wondering why it wasn't as loud as mines, i mean just cuz i have 2 18's dont mean nothing now having 2 18's and 2500watts is a diffrent story.

all u need is 1200watts if that and u shouldn't be able to sit in ur car.

and i'll leave you wt this quote that fits so well to this topic.

Lol I wasnt getting the 18s to get much louder. I just love playing with new things. Im finished with 8s (BTW I was giving each 400W, almost double the power is a little audible ;) ) so it was time to get something new. Ive played with eights, tens, and 12s. I am yet to play with 15s and 18s. Hence the change :)

The reason I was going to go with the 18s was to have a little fun with them. To see what they can do. My four 8s are plenty loud just not low enough for obvious reasons. I didnt feel like making another box for them, it was time for a change. Either way im not going with the 18s because of the space requirements. Im going with a single 15 that I got for a killer deal. Ill only be losing around 30 Square inches of cone area. Its going into a 4.3 cube enclosure tuned to 28hz :D That should be fun....

Edited by Fast1one

^^just trying to save a headache.

the radius would be 12 not 6. since it is 2 12" subs.

^^just trying to save a headache.

the radius would be 12 not 6. since it is 2 12" subs.

the radius of the driver is 6". if it were a single 24" driver, then yes, the radius would be 12".

first you calculate the area of a single driver of that size. then you take that total and multiply it by the number of drivers used, as i did above.

:fing34:

Its all good djjnap, thanks for looking out for me. I jsut think the whole building the box and installing/testing is the funnest part of car audio IMO. Whcih is why I try new things...to learn and gain experience in a never ending hobby ;)

And shame on you on messing up on cone area...didnt you take HS math? :D JK