jacka

rl-p or you're nothing!! (got pics)

Okay, I know many of you have heard both SE's and RL-p's, and although I know I am on a Soundsplinter forum, I feel like I could get an honest opinion from many of you, so here it goes. What would the differences be between the two in their optimum sealed enclosures? How would the output and SQ differ? It will be Dual 12's with a Diamond D6 1000.1. I am asking because the RE SE's brand new are about 330 shipped for me.. and the Rl-p's are quite a bit more. I wanna know if it is worth the jump.

Edited by jacka

Have you looked into the RL-i (if money is an issue)? I believe the RL-i 12 might be availble again, you would need to email mike@soundsplinter.com to find out for sure. But they would be an excellent option.

Depends on your goals, if it were me its an easy decision I'd go with the Rlp's but I know my goals...

Well for my goals.. both quality and exceptional output have to be present. I want clean bass with good output, nothing like 140 dbs or anything, perhaps 130-135, just a daily driver, not into competitions. Sub must be versatile, although I listen to rap, I want it to hit clean notes. I also listen to rock ocassionally so the subs have to keep up. I just thought I'd be able to get a decent comparison between the SE and RL-p or a review of the SE.

Honestly I do not feel the SE is upto par with the RL-p. That is not bad mouthing the SE, its just a different level.

I have had both. I used the same box for both 2.1cu ft ported @ 32hz with 800wrms going to it. I have to say the RL-p is a real nice sounding sub. I did like the RE SE12 I had, but I like the RL-p better. The RL-p is a better sounding sub to me. It made me buy some other SS subs I can not say that for the SE. I have 2 RL-i 8s right now because I wanted to take up less room but I am think about going back to the RL-p because it's a real real nice sub to me.For the price I dont think you can get a better sub.

Mike J.

I understand. How do you rate the SE's output and SQ? I mean if it fits my needs, then it's what I'm going for, but if I need more then I'll step it up. Edit: Nice comparison mike.. helped a lot. And you joined this forum on my birthday!

Edited by jacka

thanks guys, i've decided on the dual 12 rl-p setup and will get it once my money clears. if you guys could help with the enclosure that'd be awesome. for sealed, i'm looking for something that has excellent output without sacrificing SQ. if i decide to go ported, i won't have much space to work with so I might have to do 1.5 per driver at around 30-32 hz. will the output be better with such a small ported box and how will the sq change going from 1.5 @ 30 hz to 2.0 @ 32 hz?

a great sealed box for what you are after and the power you have, IMO, is 1.25ft^3 sealed....

i'd suggest a minimum of 2ft^3 to port...but that's me...i loved my rl-p in 2ft^3 tuned to 34hz....but it also rocked in 2.5ft^3 tuned to 28hz....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I have my rlp 12 in 1.25 sealed and it sounds great. Gets loud and low and sounds good doing it. I was suprised with the output with only 600 watts going to it.

ok thanks.. you guys have been very helpful. Looks like i'm gonna do 1.25 per driver sealed.

Good choice you will be very happy with it.

:woot::woot::woot:

wow my check cleared in one day... first time thats happened. but you know that that means!

Your final cart is:

Item # Quantity

rl-p12_4o 2

Total: 497.95

:fing34:

hit me up mike!

man.. im stuck on the enclosure size.. 1.25 or 1.5. I want at least SOME low-end cause my D6 didn't have much at all. and i want good output without sacrificing sq. sorry, i am an indecisive person. hah.

man.. im stuck on the enclosure size..  1.25 or 1.5. I want at least SOME low-end cause my D6 didn't have much at all. and i want good output without sacrificing sq. sorry, i am an indecisive person. hah.

either one will accomplish what your after, but IME, the 1.25ft^3 is the one the rl-p really shined in. you can always add some poly if the lowend isn't enough...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

great choice and post up pix if you can

man.. im stuck on the enclosure size..  1.25 or 1.5. I want at least SOME low-end cause my D6 didn't have much at all. and i want good output without sacrificing sq. sorry, i am an indecisive person. hah.

either one will accomplish what your after, but IME, the 1.25ft^3 is the one the rl-p really shined in. you can always add some poly if the lowend isn't enough...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

To be the devil's advocate you could make it a 1.5cuft and then make it smaller to see which you like; however, 1.25 should be great.

thanks guys, whats the best way to break in the sub and how long should i give it?

Just play the sub at lower to moderate volumes. I just go through listening to different music so it plays all different kinds of stuff. Some people use test tones, sweeps and stuff like that. But the key issue is to make sure you give the sub a couple many hours(some say 10 hours is a good amount) of lower to moderate volumes to let it loosen up.

Break in is a myth.

Just play at a low volume to make sure the subwoofer is in good order and listen for any bad sounds (scratching, popping, etc). Once it passes that test, play away.

no peak to peak and you shouldnt break anything.

The only thing that needs to be broken in would be the spider.

But you wont break it in playing it at low volume ;)

here is my enclosure guys.. had vince's audio make it for me as i don't have the tools or workspace at home. i also didnt trust my stereo shop, as they are mathematically and electrically incoherent. 1.5 net cubic ft per driver, with bracing, 1" front baffle.

http://www.vincesaudio.com/17.htm

should be getting to me tuesday/wednesday.. the wait is killing me! and this thread title should be changed to rl-p! or something. hah.