Sign in to follow this  
ghart999

slot or aeroports?

I am new to ported boxes, but have to decided to get 2 RLP 12's and port them. This is for car audio and not home if it matters.

I have always read that slot ports are better than circular ports for some reason. Yet it seems that most people are using circular ports with the RLP's. Should I stay away from slot? I would prefer it since it saves the cost, but not if they are inferior. WHat are your thoughts?

Would it help if I rounded the edges if I went slot? Also this is going in a trunk so maybe the possible sound being generated is negligible.

I was planning on about 48 sqaure inches of port area if I went slotted for 2 12's which is slightly more than 20 per driver set as a minimum. Thanks all.

They are the same thing. Whichever fits in your design is the one to use.

They are round ports, you can buy them from partsexpress.com or madisound.com

Ok...this may end up being long.

In reality neither is superior to the other in a daily application in most cases. The same port area should (in theory) yield the same characteristics no matter what.

However each has their own advantage.

Slot Port Advantages: The slot port is more easily integrated into smaller boxes and cost a lot less. The slot port is generally used for cheap port area in SPL applications. Trying to achieve 100+sqin with 4" round ports can be rather annoying, expensive, and may even be impossible with the desired tuning. Slot ports allow you to combine all of your port area into one port meaning you have a single, shorter port taking up less space.

Round and aero port advantages: Round ports have the physics advantage on their side. Circles have the smallest perimeter for a given area ALWAYS. This means less drag on the fluid moving through it. Slot ports can actually alter the Tuning and create noise because drag around the port walls gets too high. There are rules of thumb for slot ports like the 1x9 rule but that doesn

Its been said everywhere so many times before. :)

But searching doesnt always work if its embedded in an odly named thread or else you have to go sifting through 1000 posts with the names "slot port" and "aero port" in them.

that was a good read!
Great read indeed. Thank you. I think I will go with slot just to save money.

No problem :)

If you are wondering exactly how drag can cause noise and change tuning (the physics 'mumbo jumbo') i have a link somewhere that explains it in excelent detail with easy to understand illistrations. :) It will just take some searching.

I'd appreciate the link if you can find it.

Its been said everywhere so many times before. :)

But searching doesnt always work if its embedded in an odly named thread or else you have to go sifting through 1000 posts with the names "slot port" and "aero port" in them.

that was a good read!
Great read indeed. Thank you. I think I will go with slot just to save money.

No problem :)

If you are wondering exactly how drag can cause noise and change tuning (the physics 'mumbo jumbo') i have a link somewhere that explains it in excelent detail with easy to understand illistrations. :) It will just take some searching.

very good link,

I have not done much work with aeroports, but I will need to if I try to compete next year.

Working on making an 8" using scaled up aeroport dimentions from the 6".

Giant port FTW. :)