Sign in to follow this  
ghart999

Which plot do you think would work best?

I am having a hell of a time deciding on a box size and tuning freq for a pair of RL-P 12's pushed with 1500 watts of class a/b power.

I want major major impact with rock music. Metallica, AC/DC, Def Leppard, etc. I love Dave Mathews, when his bass drum kicks I want to feel it.

I guess the big question is where exactly does the bass drum fall in the freq range? Is it in the high 30 and into the 40's where the green plot would do best? Or is it in the mid 20's to low 30's where the blue plot would be best? Or lastly a compromise of both as the red plot shows. I am so confused on which route to take.

I do not listen to rap, so I don't care about that. Mostly rock, jazz and some techno.

Thanks for the help.

rlp_plot.jpg

look carefully at transient responce. The one with the best will likely give optimal performance. Looking at anecho responce charts, however, the green looks optimal. However this is nowhere near what the responce will be in car and it is all theoretical calculations at low power levels :)

Agian, fun isnt it?

look carefully at transient responce. The one with the best will likely give optimal performance. Looking at anecho responce charts, however, the green looks optimal. However this is nowhere near what the responce will be in car and it is all theoretical calculations at low power levels :)

Agian, fun isnt it?

yes it is fun. so I guess I really need to look into winISD pro and calculate the transient response of my car to be accurate right?

winisd pro showes group delay. the lower, the better.

imo, smaller box = better transient response. it's a delicate balance between lowend and transient response.

Yes group delay is very important.