mazdaboom

RL-i 8 question

hello, i am intrested in puttin in some RL-i 8's in my 06 dodge megacab. Currently the amp i own is an re12.1 and was wondering if that was too much amp for a pair of 8's. I listen to alot of everything but love music that has super low 25-35hz tones so im thinkin ported, what are you guys using for ported enclosures? size wize i mean. i used to run some crystal 8's in one of my previous setups but saw the vid for these 8's and am really intrested in trying them. thanks!

To much....nahhh

Those little buggers can take 500W eaisly. Would i reccomend it, no...why...

They simply dont need it :)

I had mine in .5 ported tuned to 43hz, i didnt have a super long port.

Even with the high tuning it still sounded awseome.

like eldorado jsut stated, they will easily handle 500wrms...i've even thrown 1700wrms at my rl-i8..yep, 1700wrms + 1 rl-i in 1.35ft^3 tuned to 35hz equals a lot of output and one unhappy subwoofer..lol...but it lives!!

for your megacab, i'd suggest somewhere in the .6-.75ft^3 range, tuned to about 38hz with 15inin^2 of slot port, or 3" of round port per driver. shouldn't be a huge port, but even if it is long, you have some 55" of length behind that seat..lol..

good luck and you'll love those 8's. they are monsters!!! and don't forget the pics!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

thanks buddy! im not sure if im gonna put the 8's behind the seat or under it but sa soon as i sell my si mag 15" im gettin me some of those 8's!

Do you want to trade 2 RLi- 8s for that 15. Is that 15 the new style or the old style?

Do you want to trade 2 RLi- 8s for that 15. Is that 15 the new style or the old style?

sounds tempting............let me think about it! thanks .....o its the new style..........i can post pics if you really want to trade and post some pics of yours.........thanks!

Edited by mazdaboom

I just put an rl-i8 SVC in a .49 (.4 net) ft^3 sealed enclosure with a 325 watt RMS bridged at 4 Ohm amp. This thing is surprisingly loud and with cabin gain, responsive to very low frequencies. I mounted it so it fires right into the cabin of my car through the rear armrest hole, so I imagine it would be a similar experience to having it inside a truck cab. You can't go wrong with these speakers... they rock! My previous car was a jetta w/ a 10" Polk... this 8" is far better in SQ and in low range extension. I'm amazed. Rock on soundsplinter!!! :slayer:

Edited by freat

sounds tempting............let me think about it! thanks .....o its the new style..........i can post pics if you really want to trade and post some pics of yours.........thanks!

If you think you might want to trade let me know. I never took pics of the 8s but I will if you want to trade. Just dont want to pull them out if I dont have to. If not I am going to save up for a 15 RL-p :fing34:

Thanks,

Mike

If you think you might want to trade let me know. I never took pics of the 8s but I will if you want to trade. Just dont want to pull them out if I dont have to. If not I am going to save up for a 15 RL-p :fing34:

Thanks,

Mike

are u interested in selling the 8's? ..cuz if so im interested..

I had one with 280w in a .4cuft sealed downfiring under the rear seat of my extended cab and it was very impressive and sounded great. It could easily have handled more power though.

I currentlly have 2 rl-i 8"s in my wifes car pushed by a directed 1500D @1 ohm. Their in a sealed box (1.2 cubes). She loves it, but I want to port it. :fing34: