mrray13

mythbusters do a 161 at 16hz!!

And if you reproduce that and beat the mythbusters you would pwn. You now know how NOT to make the surround and linkage and where the car is going to fail first. Multiple layres of MDF with a tire as the surround sandwiched in the middle perhaps?

strips of aluminum sndwiching the intertube and thru bolted...

also, thinking about using a second, smaller intertube and actually making a "spider".....

there is alot more, but i don't wanna type it all out and then us not do it...lol..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Kent, you gusy do some awesome shit there! I'd love to have your job!

also, thinking about using a second, smaller intertube and actually making a "spider".....

there is alot more, but i don't wanna type it all out and then us not do it...lol..

I was thinking two inner tubes with a woven cloth sandwiched in between for structural reinforcement . Double baffle at least, to support it. Then another baffle on top with bolts, and washers running throughthe perimeter of the surround. That much power, and heavy cone . I don't think one inner tube by itself can hold it. Also think it would be beneficial to have some kind of cylinder around the piston shaft / pole piece :D Just some kind of guide to keep side to side movement in check . Think they did an awesome job in all areas except those two . Would love to see them revisit the myth, and tweak their design . It has potential :)

would this design be legal in comps ?

I was thinking two inner tubes with a woven cloth sandwiched in between for structural reinforcement . Double baffle at least, to support it. Then another baffle on top with bolts, and washers running throughthe perimeter of the surround. That much power, and heavy cone . I don't think one inner tube by itself can hold it. Also think it would be beneficial to have some kind of cylinder around the piston shaft / pole piece :D Just some kind of guide to keep side to side movement in check . Think they did an awesome job in all areas except those two . Would love to see them revisit the myth, and tweak their design . It has potential :)

i agree. i think this "myth" and their design has alot more potential then they had time to really take advantage of.

you gotta hand it to them. while we all agree that the sub could be better designed, it was designed well for the time frame they had. they are smart, i'll give them that...

ryan...come on down bro..lol..always looking for a good person. and i don't know if we'll actually get around to doing this. we are pretty busy at the moment, but who knows? maybe i can talk scott into it..lol..

adrian...maybe an extreme class? problem would be is motor rpm. must organizations that allow the motor on don't allow over ~1200rpm. maybe rig up a seperate motor??

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Yes sir , after seeing some of the other chit they have come up with . I would love to see them refine the design , and revisit the myth . :)

separate engine that drives a 1 piston engine. cone attached directly to the piston. that way you won't need a spyder and it would be 'linear'.

Adrian, The answear to your question is no. 1.) frequcinies below 20Hz in dB Drag are not allowed and Mechanical noise inducers are illegal as well. the "enclosure" also is illegal, even in the extreme class I do beleive.

Kent, your idea for a spider is much needed I do beleive, If the cone goes up like \ then you arent reaching maximum displacement potential. A good spider would do wonders.

I really think a thing, wide tire would do the trick for the surround. Be a primative high roll surround and surely will have greater structural integrity than some innertubes. Would be an expensive surround, however.

They main design flaw in the surround they used is it was pulled tight, granted thhey had to have it do that because it had no spider, but that is ultamitely what caused it to tare when the beast started becoming extremely non linear.

separate engine that drives a 1 piston engine. cone attached directly to the piston. that way you won't need a spyder and it would be 'linear'.

How would you keep the engine running though? you need some sort of inertia to compress the gasses and you still have to turn the cam shaft and have spark, unless you wanted to use an F1 style injection/valve train/and ignition...which would be rather expensive.

*EDIT*

After rereading I get what you are saying. Similar to what Ramos suggested. Superb idea IMO.

A Briggs and Statton 1cyl 12hp motor with the head remove would do the trick. Attach it's output shaft to the output shaft of the transmission. Would take some serious planning and fabrication so that it doesnt vibrate the link apart, but that is an excelent idea.

Inertia can either help or hinder.

side note:

I had a good friend in college, he was a D lineman for the football team and when he would hangout and some frisbee, he would always get frustrated and joke

"momentum is my enemy!!!!" :lol2:

How would you keep the engine running though? you need some sort of inertia to compress the gasses and you still have to turn the cam shaft and have spark, unless you wanted to use an F1 style injection/valve train/and ignition...which would be rather expensive.

*EDIT*

After rereading I get what you are saying. Similar to what Ramos suggested. Superb idea IMO.

A Briggs and Statton 1cyl 12hp motor with the head remove would do the trick. Attach it's output shaft to the output shaft of the transmission. Would take some serious planning and fabrication so that it doesnt vibrate the link apart, but that is an excelent idea.

seen the chit in junkyard wars. they built a pump out of 2 engines.

just couldn't find the right words : take the head off. stupid dictionary. :lol:

it may be illegal the way they did it, but you may just build a normal wall and the biggest woof you can fit there. also, by revving the engine the freq goes up. the only advantage i see is that you won't need to spend $$$ on amps and electrical system. just one scrap engine and one good engine.

ramos, got enough cf to make a cone for the project ? :D

*EDIT*

just couldn't find the right words : take the head off. stupid dictionary. :lol:

it may be illegal the way they did it, but you may just build a normal wall and the biggest woof you can fit there. also, by revving the engine the freq goes up. the only advantage i see is that you won't need to spend $$$ on amps and electrical system. just one scrap engine and one good engine.

I loved that show junkyard wars . Still come on on that side of the pond ? :)

thanks oldschool,

now that I have seen it, I mean come on, not the best idea to use an S class, use a korean car that will fall apart,

wayne looked pretty healthy to me, but stil 161 a is crazy,

anyone notice the all the trashed T3's?

*EDIT*

I loved that show junkyard wars . Still come on on that side of the pond ? :)

yeah, but some kind of new series. i don't like the new series. first 3 series were the best, imo

thanks oldschool,

now that I have seen it, I mean come on, not the best idea to use an S class, use a korean car that will fall apart,

wayne looked pretty healthy to me, but stil 161 a is crazy,

anyone notice the all the trashed T3's?

subs with blue baskets, some of them inverted, in a setup kickinaudio posted ?

no they were in a wall inside of an Astro van, the guy was tossing the dustcaps out the door after the destruction

ah, i know what you're talking about. gonna rewatch the episode to see it better.