Sign in to follow this  
topgun

My thoughts on using a plate amp in home and going active

Ok, so as stated in the title these are my thoughts and OPINIONS on using a plate amp to power a subwoofer setup in a house and going active in a home environment. This was wrote in a short time period late a night so deal with any rambling that I did and please correct me where you see fit.

I would like ya'lls opinion on this article and what needs to be changed, etc, etc.

KEEP IN MIND THESE ARE ALL MY OPINIONS, NOT FACT.

Thinking of using a big badass rack amp to drive your subs in your house?

Thinking of going active in your home setup?

If so, you may want to read this

I really prefer amps that are just amplifiers; however, they surely won't make the rest of the system cheaper.

One other bit, as far as I know it is hard to have any baffle compensation when running active as well.

I really prefer amps that are just amplifiers; however, they surely won't make the rest of the system cheaper.

One other bit, as far as I know it is hard to have any baffle compensation when running active as well.

If your running the DCX2496 unit its pretty easy, just plug it into the EQ and be done with it.

I didn't think the eq was flexible enough to load a curve at arbitrary frequencies to compensate for the increase in output on the upper end. I need to go back and read the specs again...you just cost me $300 bills Ryan.

I didn't think the eq was flexible enough to load a curve at arbitrary frequencies to compensate for the increase in output on the upper end. I need to go back and read the specs again...you just cost me $300 bills Ryan.

Don't quote me at that, but I believe it can. I haven't entirely figured all of it out yet, haven't had the time really.

but wheres the fun in plug and play

i need to test systems so im opting for 2 behringer A500's and this , 2 specs up from the one you listed, also another class A unchosen as yet

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl....tnumber=248-669

http://www.behringer.com/DCX2496/index.cfm?lang=ENG

the A500's have the advantage of low level inputs but ill be adding a pre stage as and when

i am also going to take a ULTRADRIVE PRO "may have to go with a pair" and have a 12v psu fitted, this will look horny in any car, i havnt yet had a chance to look at the software as yet

now dont ask question because i dont know this is purly for fun only

Edited by barnie

I'm not to much of a fan of Behringer amps now that I have QSC and seen the light... :)

But I do love my DCX2496 and its a pretty decent unit, does a hella lot of stuff for the price.

I may be wrong but I think jlaine over on CS.o had a DCX2496 and a DEQ2496 in his car...

I have seen a few people with that combo in their car (on the net that is). Makes me jealous everytime, only if I did it I would forego the headunit and use a carpc so you could control it from the front as well.

I'm not to much of a fan of Behringer amps now that I have QSC and seen the light... :)

But I do love my DCX2496 and its a pretty decent unit, does a hella lot of stuff for the price.

I may be wrong but I think jlaine over on CS.o had a DCX2496 and a DEQ2496 in his car...

your right behringer gear isnt the best but

Edited by barnie

Yes, I used the software on my computer some when my equipment was on the same side as the room, can't tell you much about it because I didn't use it that much before I moved my equipment and I don't feel like trying to find a 15ft cable for it.

Good read guys :) Once I get my car done, ill be picking up a DCX2496 along with some Adcom amps :D Then the oh-so-fun home audio projects begin!

I find the 2496 to be a very powerful unit. All Behringer has to do is come out with a home audio version and get rid of those XLRs...

One thing I can't understand tho is the folks who buy the Behringer 2496, EQ AND Feedback Destroyer. Why bother when you have all those options in the 2496? You don't need the other units.

And yes, a watt does not equal a watt. That's why I'm running Crest on my bottoms...

You can mod the DCX to whatever outputs you want, if I remember right theres a ton of threads on diyaudio.com on modding a DCX.

I know, but wouldn't it be ultra cool if you didn't have to do that?...

I know, but wouldn't it be ultra cool if you didn't have to do that?...

Now whats the fun in that??

Well, that way you can concentrate on the data lines and output filtering. Plus, it would be cheaper since they won't be paying more for XLR connectors. You can buy more tubes then.. ;)

Well, that way you can concentrate on the data lines and output filtering. Plus, it would be cheaper since they won't be paying more for XLR connectors. You can buy more tubes then.. ;)

Eh, tubes, they are for the pussies... (just joking Jim...:) )

There wouldn't be any fun in this hobby if it were all plug and chug equipment. The XLR is nice for people like me running full rack equipment though.