Impious

The 7empest

Welp, spent some time today building and measuring crossovers.  I think I built six different iterations in total, and took countless measurements of each one.  Here are, I think, the top 3 contenders.  The maroon so far looking best on paper for both FR and phase.  I did spend a bit of time the past day or so listening to the first crossover I was able to build based on the parts that arrived (some of my inductors were on back order and just arrived today).  Made me wonder why the hell I wasted so much time and effort trying to obtain good audio in a car when home audio sounds infinitely better with much less time and money invested, LOL.  I really enjoyed how they sounded with that first crossover, and it didn't measure quite as well as these (well, maybe a little better than the purple xover...but I want to give that design a listen so I kept it in my "top 3").  So long story short there I think I'm ultimately going to be very happy with how these turn out regardless :)

These measurements were done in-room, so ignore 300hz down.  I'm also pretty suspect of the peak in the last octave from 10khz -20khz, but considering my age and past listening habits I'd be lucky if I can even hear most of that octave anyways.  But regardless, all 3 xovers are within +/- 2db from 300hz on up, which is pretty good.  Graph "looks" a little ragged but that's because we're zoomed in pretty close.  If I zoomed out one or two clicks on the graph it'd "look" much more smooth.  Reverse nulls aren't amazing, but I think they're sufficient (maybe a little less so on the purple trace but again, I just really want to listen to that one).  Then I have the individual roll offs. 

7empest Final Xover Options FR.jpg

7empest Final Xover Options Null.jpg

7empest Final Xover Options Anarchy.jpg

7empest Final Xover Options Seas.jpg

2dB at 15kHz, lol.  Don't sweat that :)  Look great!!

3 hours ago, ///M5 said:

2dB at 15kHz, lol.  Don't sweat that :)  Look great!!

Thanks!  I'm really enjoying them.