Sign in to follow this  
JIM1000

My BTL18 F150 extended cab box

Here is a link to my box design. Have only ran a Lanzar 1200vibe on it so far as I am not convinced of tuning. Seems to get least cone motion at 33 hz when playing sine waves, so should be close. A bit inconclusive though.

Actually the speaker is great, I am not impressed with the vehicle itself for bass. Does not sound as loud as my focus did with a lot less sub, but I know the focus probably loads bass a lot better.

Box is 57w, 16.25 deep, and 20 high (6.5cf). The port is 14.75x7.5 and 28.75 long(area 110.6), firing up behind driver. The sub is facing forward on other side. This is supposed to be tuned to 35hz.

link to box design

I will be switching to my Lanzar D3000M when I upgrade wiring a bit, and confirm tuning.

I did brace the box in the center with a full separator that I cut 4 square holes in leaving about 1.5" around box perimeter and 1.25" up and down if you can visualize what I mean. Does not seem to be a problem with box vibration, just vehicle vibration, will work on that some soon.

Pics will be coming soon.

Thanks for any ideas and especially if anyone finds a flaw in my box tuning.

What type of truck?

In my truck, a 15 is hands down louder than an 18.

nG

All things don't sound equal there...

What type of truck?

In my truck, a 15 is hands down louder than an 18.

nG

All things don't sound equal there...

Have you ever owned a truck?

Had a system in one? (Particularly what's in question?)

:).

nG

I have an EC Chevy right now as a DD, and my old truck was an F150 EC. My statement was all things weren't equal, I didn't say in your particular setup that wasn't the case.

I'd say at most your probably running ~900-1000 watts to it...which is no where near enough power for a BTL :).

And the sub is not going to move much at the ports tuning frequency....when you play below tuning the sub will move more because it starts to unload.

Throw more power at it, and let the suspension loosen up...it'l come around :).

Thanks

-Nick

I have an EC Chevy right now as a DD, and my old truck was an F150 EC. My statement was all things weren't equal, I didn't say in your particular setup that wasn't the case.

Well, obviously the box can't be equal... that wouldn't make sense.

Everything else, yes.

It's the way the cabin pressurizes...

nG

Your definition of loud has a very different spectral curve than mine does then.

It is a 06 Ford F150. Yeah I want to make sure it is tuned right so it does not unload. I had tried a Pion 3000 12" and a soundstream T2 12 in it, (2.5 ft@36hz) and this eats either of them, but I thought they should have been a lot louder too. Seems to be the truck. I have no doubt the woofer can do its part. Will be interesting with the 2200ish watts from the D3000. The 1200 does not like a 1 ohm load and shuts off when pushed. Did same with the SS 12. Will try and add pics tomorrow evening.

Your definition of loud has a very different spectral curve than mine does then.

Sure.

A combination of ears, and a TL+RTA don't lies.

nG

Sure.

A combination of ears, and a TL+RTA don't lies.

nG

By your definition of loud you don't need an RTA which was my point. Just a simple SLM would be fine as unlike myself you only seem to be interested in the peak.

I'd say at most your probably running ~900-1000 watts to it...which is no where near enough power for a BTL :).

And the sub is not going to move much at the ports tuning frequency....when you play below tuning the sub will move more because it starts to unload.

Throw more power at it, and let the suspension loosen up...it'l come around :).

Thanks

-Nick

you beat me to it. First thing that went thru my mind.....an opti1200 which wouldnt do 1200 if lightning struck it, on a BTL? Time for some real power bro ;)

Sign in to follow this