Sign in to follow this  
tejcurrent

BTL Power Recommendations

I figured I'd start this topic because I have noticed there are a lot of people asking this questions, I even still have a few questions. The most common besides enclosure questions is those about how powering the BTL, so maybe this will be a good blanket to answer many questions.

Q1. When most people buy this sub they don't have an enormous expensive amp to power it to it's full potential-as most people just want something to hold up good for daily use and don't plan on seriously competing with it. Being that the RMS is 2000 watts, is this the minimum recommended? Obviously 500 watts will make it play, but to see good results what is the smallest amount of power recommended?

Q2. Once adding on cooling and various options the power handling goes up. Fully loaded what is it safe to give them? I know Steve Meade has 4000 watts rms to his daily, but truthfully after putting that much power on mine it moved so much and got so loud it was scary! With a clean 4000 watts would the BTL be fine listening to music? More?

Q3. For competition purposes is there a definite limit for power during burps? I've seen several videos (12" challenge) where 10000rms was put on one, but to actually make it through a comp w/out failure, what could be recommended? I know this can get a little tricky, but just some ballpark figures would be helpful.

I know because someone could read this, put on a billion watts and then be upset because their BTL didn't hold up(often because of something they did wrong with their amps settings) it is hard to say concrete #s, but as a suggestion, or somewhat of a guidline to follow with caution, what do you feel is appropriate?

Anyone with experience may feel free to put in any thoughts they may have- to help those thinking about buying a BTL, or thinking about putting more power on what they currently have. Thanks.

Q1: 1 watt technically speaking ;)...lol. We recommend using 2000 watts...as that is the rated RMS.

Q2: That's your call, we stick to our guns with a 2000 watt rms rating. What you put on them is your call ultimately...i've personally put in excess of 3kw on the 12 with no issues. Not about to say that the sub can/will take more, simply for the fact that it is your choice to do so. We've learned better then putting inflated power ratings on woofers, it causes nothing but trouble...people see "That sub can take 32,000 watts?!!!!" and immediately think that they can strap a ton of amps on them, clip them to heck and back...and burn the coil up.

Q3: Whenever it breaks i guess, then that's too much :). Most of the issues that we have with spl vehicles is them using bandpass enclosures and literally blowing the soft parts apart, and the coil is fine. Mike (Extreme audio) Is only running ~8200w per woofer in a 4th order which is VERY VERY hard on stuff...and is doing a 179.4...in extreme 3-4...now..daily driving? You should not need more then 3kw per woofer. SPL fart/burp? The sky is the limit, when you break it...thats too much ;)

Q1: 1 watt technically speaking ;)...lol. We recommend using 2000 watts...as that is the rated RMS.

Q2: That's your call, we stick to our guns with a 2000 watt rms rating. What you put on them is your call ultimately...i've personally put in excess of 3kw on the 12 with no issues. Not about to say that the sub can/will take more, simply for the fact that it is your choice to do so. We've learned better then putting inflated power ratings on woofers, it causes nothing but trouble...people see "That sub can take 32,000 watts?!!!!" and immediately think that they can strap a ton of amps on them, clip them to heck and back...and burn the coil up.

Q3: Whenever it breaks i guess, then that's too much :). Most of the issues that we have with spl vehicles is them using bandpass enclosures and literally blowing the soft parts apart, and the coil is fine. Mike (Extreme audio) Is only running ~8200w per woofer in a 4th order which is VERY VERY hard on stuff...and is doing a 179.4...in extreme 3-4...now..daily driving? You should not need more then 3kw per woofer. SPL fart/burp? The sky is the limit, when you break it...thats too much ;)

"when you break it...thats too much ;)" --- :D

I guess once I get some cash I have a goal now :)

...people see "That sub can take 32,000 watts?!!!!" and immediately think that they can strap a ton of amps on them, clip them to heck and back...and burn the coil up.

Has anyone burnt a BTL coil?

What wattage and what scenario would you EXPECT a BTL to burn up the voice coil?

...people see "That sub can take 32,000 watts?!!!!" and immediately think that they can strap a ton of amps on them, clip them to heck and back...and burn the coil up.

What wattage and what scenario would you EXPECT a BTL to burn up the voice coil?

And lets also assume that that's an unclipped signal, just to clarify

I'd like to know about clipped to chit with lowest notes approx 10Hz below tuning...(I'm not gonna do it...just wanna know the limits)(If you have a better scenerio, please explain)

Thanks

Mis-understood at first ^ nevermind :)

I didn't even see it. No harm no foul.

Sorry I don't type/think more clearly/linearly.

Can you summerize our questions(as you know my question too)? It may help one of the Fi crew to answer more effectively.

I'm not so good at that, but I'll try. Does clipping play a large part in the actual ability of the sub to handle the power? for instance if it will handle 2500watts of clean power, will it also handle this power with say, 10%thd? More/Less? I know I've heard negative things about playing below tuning, but what are the consequences and is there a level where this is safe?

Does anyone else with a btl have any comments on the power they are giving it and what it seems happy with?

Thanks

yup..... BTL need lots of power. My BL,s did very well. so I belive that you can run BL and have awsome sound.

Maybe.

I'd like to know about clipped to chit with lowest notes approx 10Hz below tuning...(I'm not gonna do it...just wanna know the limits)(If you have a better scenerio, please explain)

Thanks

At the Great12 Challenge, a BTL12 took a clamped 10kw for a bit before destroying itself mechanically. It reached mechanical failure... before anything happened to the coil... coil was fine.

This was in a ported box, well below tuning as well. ;)

I'm not so good at that, but I'll try. Does clipping play a large part in the actual ability of the sub to handle the power? for instance if it will handle 2500watts of clean power, will it also handle this power with say, 10%thd? More/Less? I know I've heard negative things about playing below tuning, but what are the consequences and is there a level where this is safe?

Does anyone else with a btl have any comments on the power they are giving it and what it seems happy with?

Thanks

Yes, clipping is sending a bad signal to your subwoofer. It heats up the coil much faster when sending a clipped signal.

The problem with playing below tuning is, you risk letting the coil dance on the bottom plate. You don't want your subwoofer to bottom out, as it can damage the coil/former.

Typically, in a ported box... you're subwoofer will be able to control itself down to a half an octave below tuning... those this isn't always the case. It is still dependent on box size, overall tuning, and power.

nG

Maybe.

Thanks

At the Great12 Challenge, a BTL12 took a clamped 10kw for a bit before destroying itself mechanically. It reached mechanical failure... before anything happened to the coil... coil was fine.

This was in a ported box, well below tuning as well. ;)

Thanks

Yes, clipping is sending a bad signal to your subwoofer. It heats up the coil much faster when sending a clipped signal.

The problem with playing below tuning is, you risk letting the coil dance on the bottom plate. You don't want your subwoofer to bottom out, as it can damage the coil/former.

Typically, in a ported box... you're subwoofer will be able to control itself down to a half an octave below tuning... those this isn't always the case. It is still dependent on box size, overall tuning, and power.

nG

OK, thanks.

good thread. lots of good info in here about clipping subs to death...

but ya, the btl should handle any amount of clean power you can give probably.

I know it took the memphis 4k for almost an hour of solid slamming, no burning smell or anything, just so much excursion it was a little scary. Personally I don't think I'd want to give them full 4k for long periods of time, but for daily short trips/demos I know it takes the power beautifully.

I'm simply not going to say this is when it breaks, because...there are WAY too many variables to say definitively this is when you need to stop.

We say 2000 watts, if you put more to them, then that is your choice :).

Completely understandable. :) At this point I'm more or less fishing for testimonials/experience from others.

My fully loaded BTL15 loved my Kicker ZX2500.1 @1ohm... ~3000rms.

When my new BTL 15 comes in, it'll be power by a Memphis 4kw @1ohm as well. With 4 Optima G31's and a 220amp alternator.

nG

My fully loaded BTL15 loved my Kicker ZX2500.1 @1ohm... ~3000rms.

When my new BTL 15 comes in, it'll be power by a Memphis 4kw @1ohm as well. With 4 Optima G31's and a 220amp alternator.

nG

I'll tell you what, I need to fine tune the 4k a little more, but after playing 'hypnotize' by Jeezy for a minute or two straight at a very good volume I started to smell a little burning smell. Could be the adhesive I used to re-attatch the broken terminals, but I think it was just the coil :( I cut it down, but I think maybe clipping had something to do with it. Maybe in the next few days after I get the 2nd amp hooked up I'll have some time to get out there w/ the dmm and set things right. Those amps belt out the power and looks sexy. :fing34:

My 200a alt isn't doing it, but I really need a few more batts and another run or 3 of 1/0.

Thanks a lot.

Sign in to follow this