mossman8235

second battery wiring question

im adding a second yellow top under the hood. since i have the yellow tops with the side terminals as well as the top i would be able to utilize those as well. so i planned on going from battery to battery using 0ga using the side terminals. then i was going to use the top of the one batt to go 0ga to the alt and 0ga to the body. this was one going to be charged while the other is discharged. the second batt is going to have 0 and 4ga running to the amps, and 0ga to the ground. does this diagram look correct? as in are all of the wires going to the right places? btw, im doing the big 3, thats why the engine is on there.

batterywiring.jpg

i have another question on top of the ones already posted, where should i ground my amps? i was going to go to the chassis, but some one said the seat bolt would work...i have a ma audio hk4000d and hk398

i have another question on top of the ones already posted, where should i ground my amps? i was going to go to the chassis, but some one said the seat bolt would work...i have a ma audio hk4000d and hk398

the seatbelt bolt would work as long as you get a good connection, ie. make sure there's no paint in the way of the connection

Everything in the diagram looks like it'd work just fine, albeit overkill in the extra grounds.

Only thing I can think of is a lot of people like to throw a good 300 amp fuse between the alt and the battery. Just in case.

the seatbelt bolt would work as long as you get a good connection, ie. make sure there's no paint in the way of the connection

i discussed where a good place to ground my amps was with the service tech at my dealership (he also messes around with car audio) and we worked it out pretty good. its kinda complicated, but ill post pics if i can or explain it at least.

Everything in the diagram looks like it'd work just fine, albeit overkill in the extra grounds.

Only thing I can think of is a lot of people like to throw a good 300 amp fuse between the alt and the battery. Just in case.

id rather have more ground than not enough, just my $.02

that is the one thing that i forgot to add in my diagram. im going with a 250A fuse, being as my HO alt is 200A and the max on my 1/0 is 300A, i opted to go right in the middle.

Any reason you're not grounding the batteries to the same spot?

just decided to use different grounds.

looks good....i'd run as many grounds as possible to the frame of the vehicle though...

there will be gounds to both the frame and chassis.

Both amps will be charging and discharging together since you have them in parallel. If you want to be able to run down the second battery you'll need an isolator either mechanical, (simple beefy 70A or greater relay), or electrical like the Lightning SSR2002 or Orion MBR70.

anyone have any suggestions?

First of all get rid of the yellow tops and get a Nortstar NSB G 3100 and run 0gage likyou are but on second battery body ground use 0 gage also.

anyone have any suggestions?

Also get rid of the fuses. I have run in NSPL 4 years with 2 championships and never run a fuse in my battery power wires.

Ground your amp to the battery ground

Both amps will be charging and discharging together since you have them in parallel. If you want to be able to run down the second battery you'll need an isolator either mechanical, (simple beefy 70A or greater relay), or electrical like the Lightning SSR2002 or Orion MBR70.

Why run an isolator? I have never run one and don't even know what one is for.