Sign in to follow this  
tejcurrent

18" BTL Destruction

So I own 2 18" BTLs. I have 2 memphis 4ks on each, and they are very loud. Because of the area I live and and personal preference, I don't choose to flexnuts very often (well once a day). Once a day I drive past my ex-fiance's house (who I left after finding out she was cheating on me). This is my once a day stress release- since she's always outside smoking and she tried to prevent me from getting subs-she hated bass- and now she gets to hear them all the time :D

Well, I was listening to da blow by lil john, when I noticed my mirror going crazy. Then it fell off.

brokenmirror1or9.jpg

Guess I'm going to have to go get some repair glue from walmart/advance auto tomarrow.

After opening the back of my yukon I also noticed that my speaker cover for my rear most speakers fell down from the roof/interior flexing.

speakercover1zb3.jpg

I don't know how well this shows it, but those clips stick out about 1/4-1/2 inch out-so that must've been some flex.

speakercover2pq6.jpg

This shows how it is on the right side, and how it should be on the left.

speakercover3bz7.jpg

These subs are dangerous, they're making my car fall apart! I'm sure not complaining either :)

Thanks for the awesome subs again. :fing34:

you diddn't need that mirror anyway

If you havent seen the carnage 1 18in BL and 1000w caused to my jeep check out my thread(a little worse)

However, after regluing mirrors in a few different cars many times over i gave up and said theres no way its ever going to stay up....

Untill the other day.

I got to thinking, I either need to mount this to the roof behind the VIC...or use a mount kinda like the one for my radar detector..

I mean that thing bounces like no other, and never falls off. But suction cups would never hold my heavy ass mirror(it has auto dimming and some other things so its big and heavy)...So i head off to the auto parts stores in search of a solution...what did I come up with?

A plastic replacement mount(it replaces the little metal peice that you glue to the window) as well as some silicone glue...

Iv been pounding them hard for a couple weeks now, and well its definitly not going anywhere...gives it just enough room to flex without ripping the glue off..

you diddn't need that mirror anyway
+1 with it moving so much you can see out of it anyways, LOL. :OhYeah:

Fi slogan = "Fi.... You didn't need that rear view mirror anyways..... "

Haha, This is so true!

Fi slogan = "Fi.... You didn't need that rear view mirror anyways..... "

do i get free stuff for coining that phrase?

so far the official veriFied count is:

Fi Car Audio - 3

Rearview mirror - 0

or did i miss a few? its probably like 10-0 by now.

I agree, you don't need a rearview mirror!!!

Fi Car Audio - 3

Rearview mirror - 0

better make that fi - 4

rearview mirror - 0

This morning first thing I glued the metal piece back to the windshield. I figured the package said let it sit 30 minutes, I let it set all day. 10 hours later I put the mirror back on, a few minutes later, I'm now missing a piece of glass:

broken_mirror_3.jpg

broken_mirror_2.jpg

Atleast the glue held, but I think there should be some sort of metal bracket holding the mirror up, instead of just having a piece of metal the size of a quarter. I can see why so many people are having trouble. I think I'm going to make up some sort of bracket that could be used to replace/assist the stock mount. Maybe when I do this I should sell the product to you guys at fi to include w/ the subs? :)

Tell you what though, I was talking to a guy at the one shop about installing a backup camera and screen, then just building a wall. Maybe I'll just get a screen regardless, and forget the mirror all together. It does increase visability not having it...

Edited by tejcurrent

Fi Car Audio - 3

Rearview mirror - 0

better make that fi - 4

rearview mirror - 0

This morning first thing I glued the metal piece back to the windshield. I figured the package said let it sit 30 minutes, I let it set all day. 10 hours later I put the mirror back on, a few minutes later, I'm now missing a piece of glass:

broken_mirror_3.jpg

broken_mirror_2.jpg

Atleast the glue held, but I think there should be some sort of metal bracket holding the mirror up, instead of just having a piece of metal the size of a quarter. I can see why so many people are having trouble. I think I'm going to make up some sort of bracket that could be used to replace/assist the stock mount. Maybe when I do this I should sell the product to you guys at fi to include w/ the subs? :)

Tell you what though, I was talking to a guy at the one shop about installing a backup camera and screen, then just building a wall. Maybe I'll just get a screen regardless, and forget the mirror all together. It does increase visability not having it...

I had this same problem in my 2002 Nissan Sentra with one 15" BTL. I only have a Rockford Fosgate 10001bd amp hooked up to right now. You can check it out on my page http://www.carstereo.com/rwussow.

Edited by rwussow

I'd get a normal mirror, can't really tell from the picture how bad the glass is but it can't be good.

fi-4

rear veiw-0

fi-1

windsheild-0

Actually make that 2...

remember..posted about a month ago...

1000995smallhq4.jpg

1000996smallgh8.jpg

tejcurrent, you should have taken my advice lol...

I'd get a normal mirror, can't really tell from the picture how bad the glass is but it can't be good.

? :puzzled: ? It's the stock mirror that came with the car, it just has a thermometer in it hence the wire. It's as stock as it gets, so I don't understand what you mean? You're right though, I'm questioning the integrity of the glass now. I reglued the small piece w/ glass and all back in place, just put 3x as much glue. I'm thinking if it does it again it'll go all the way through, but we'll find out. If anything else happens I'll just get a new windshield, I think I get 1 free one a year, and I've had this one a little over a year now. I'm trying to figure out a way to make that bracket though, I think that would be a great solution.

Edited by tejcurrent

Ugh.......that is something I don't miss

J

? :puzzled: ? It's the stock mirror that came with the car, it just has a thermometer in it hence the wire. It's as stock as it gets, so I don't understand what you mean? You're right though, I'm questioning the integrity of the glass now. I reglued the small piece w/ glass and all back in place, just put 3x as much glue. I'm thinking if it does it again it'll go all the way through, but we'll find out. If anything else happens I'll just get a new windshield, I think I get 1 free one a year, and I've had this one a little over a year now. I'm trying to figure out a way to make that bracket though, I think that would be a great solution.

With mine the glass guy as well as a couple other techs all said that it could last forever or crack tommrow..it just depends. Iv been lucky so far...

If you really need a mirror I would go with an aftermarket one, like some kind of billet, carbonfiber, or just palstic. Those should all be much lighter than the stock one (even the billet) because just look at Steve Meade, he rolls a billet rear. I just scrappped mine since i have few blindspots.

Wes

ya i got a 15Q and so far i have shakin my door loose,,, broke my mirror straight off the glass,,, shook my battery terminal loose,, and to add to all the mayhem i have shakin my fuses out of there plugs LOL...

and around here we dont say fi audio.... we say f*cking insane audio :P

I just like the temp guage and stock appearance. It fell for a 3rd time today, I let it set for 24+ hours this time. I'm going to try 1 more time, then just get new glass/let a pro try their luck.

I just like the temp guage and stock appearance. It fell for a 3rd time today, I let it set for 24+ hours this time. I'm going to try 1 more time, then just get new glass/let a pro try their luck.

Did you read my posts?

Its not going to stay up even if the professional does it..

Our mirrors are to heavy.

I havent replaced my glass yet, as I just dont feel like dealing with insurance right now, but i did remount the mirror, and for the first time in years, Iv kept it up no problem...

Re read and use my method..

You should get a T-shirt or something from Fi.

I hope nothing happens to my car...its too damned expensive to fix.

I did get a t-shirt from my posts -it's great. :D maybe an adhesive that would stick to glass and metal a bit better would've been more useful-but not as cool.

Sign in to follow this