Sign in to follow this  
sundownz

Sundown Audio Nightshade Numbers

We put the Nightshade in Sean's truck and beat the crap out of it with 4x SAZ-1500Ds at 1/2 ohm nominal each (about 1.15 ohm each with impedance rise):

Nightshade_box.jpg

* 4.5 ft^3 box tuned to around 35 Hz or so (same box from SDE post)

Nigthshade_box_front.jpg

* Front of the woofer in the "wall" setup

Peak was at 54 Hz and SPL is as follows:

40.9 watts @ 133.0 dB

141.1 watts @ 137.8 dB

311.3 watts @ 140.7 dB

513.4 watts @ 142.7 dB

811.5 watts @ 144.5 dB

1731.2 watts @ 146.9 dB

2845 watts @ 148.1 dB

4505 watts @ 149.2 dB

7081 watts @ 151.2 dB -- Still gained 2 dB at this point, very little compression

The next step blew one coil on the Nigthshade... so we didn't get any more SPL readings. Our meters don't have peak hold so I only got the voltage reading down before the current meter hit zero (coil opened up, didn't short). Based on my voltage reading we estimate it to have been around 10,000 watts or so.

Cause of death appears to have been slight coil rock. No problem as the next revision will be getting stiffer spiders, a stiffer cone, and a higher power handling coil. So next time around I am looking to burp at 10kw with no failure :)

Scores are looking good all things considered. The box is heavily braced inside as it was made for two sealed 12" woofers. This creates turbulence and is bad for SPL. The port is also only 36 in^2 since it was just a hack job box for testing.

PS: Sorry Rich! Don't worry... I'll be re-coning this to the new parts as soon as possible then you get your turn with it.

I'm not worried, I have the horn built and it's waiting. We'll see what it does at around 44hz in a trunk whenever it gets right.....

I'm not worried, I have the horn built and it's waiting. We'll see what it does at around 44hz in a trunk whenever it gets right.....

Will it work with the 12" model by chance? That proto hasn't shown up yet as it had to be rebuilt... it'll come in right off with the new parts in it since they had to re-build it anyway. If not, I'll get the 15" model out to you once it is re-coned :)

I can build a 12" horn fairly easily

Excellent. I am expecting good things from the revised cone, suspension, and coil. Since I tore up the 15 before you got to try it I'll let you have the 12 first this time for sure! May have to meet you somewhere and drop it off since it's very heavy and I'd hate to ship it around more than necessary and risk breaking it :)

Jake where's those pics you said youd send me when you got home ;)

Woops. I knew I forgot something, I'll send em' tonight.

1731.2 watts @ 146.9 dB

wow, so with that 1 15", u beat my 2 12" mags by about 6.9 dBs.....(i kno i hit around 40s but no exact ##)

and that watts looks like the 1500D @ 1ohm, and mine is @ .5ohm.....

:puzzled:

i want one :D

Edited by xclusiv3

We had 4x SAZ-1500Ds @ 1/2 ohm each. This was also in a truck with concrete re-inforced walls and 8 huge battieries. Yours is in a trunk with one amp with way less power... so don't feel bad.

We had 4x SAZ-1500Ds @ 1/2 ohm each. This was also in a truck with concrete re-inforced walls and 8 huge battieries. Yours is in a trunk with one amp with way less power... so don't feel bad.

He could feel bad b/c my 2 mags did a 153 in a stock vehicle tho lol j/k

how about those pics ;)

Well, the daily testing will be on 4 SAZ-1500's at .5 in a folded horn tuned to around 34hz......Of course it'll be metered also with that low of tuning.

Well, the daily testing will be on 4 SAZ-1500's at .5 in a folded horn tuned to around 34hz......Of course it'll be metered also with that low of tuning.

Excellent :) Your trunk is no normal trunk :coolugh:

aha misleading.

you should do it in a normal car lol.

SPLBLAZER, if you did that in the rex, i dont feel bad lol.

still its on Stock HU, if i change that i HEAR i can gain couple dB's.

I wouldn't call it misleading... the pics show what the testing was done in :) I also don't have any "normal vehicles" on hand capable of supplying the juice to the amps to produce that kind of power... at least not anyone with test equipment like Sean has laying around.

It is quite likely I could replicate that number in my Civic with a proper box, though, as that was a low-tuned box not optimized for SPL in any manner... too much bracing (turbulence) and too small of a port (only 36 in^2 of area). Once I have an engine, alternator, and batteries in the Civic I'll be posting some testing from it.

There's nothing really special about my trunk, I just have a habit of getting things fairly loud out of it compared to most trunks, especially with the seats folded up, so I'll take the single 12", slap it in a folded horn and a standard ported box, and let it rip on the 4 SAZ-1500's. So after that, there will be nothing misleading at all about the test. (I don't see anything misleading at all about this one personally) I have great mids and highs, so I can fairly evaluate it for daily duty under a lot of different circumstances. Jacob knows I won't hold back on it either, I'll give it hell, and let him know what happens.

My car also peaks around 44hz, so it would be a very comparable test for any car.

Edited by stratusrt01

i was kidding about being misleading, i just didnt read carefully.

my car peaks around 43-44 also.....

and i feel bad for that 1 12" on 4 1500D's lol

Any update on this stratusrt01

Edited by theabunai

Rich had to re-do his whole trunk, but I believe he got to 149.5 before he did.

As for the 12" Nightshade proto, it was wrecked in transit and I've been waiting on a coil since!

oops, missed this thread......

I did do a 149.5 with no testing in my trunk with the seats folded up, yes, you heard that right, seats up!!! with a pair of 10's on the 4 SAZ-1500's. I'm working on the new setup, kind of hoping the Nighshade comes through soon, so I can still give it a good reaming.

needs more chrome.

Hah... the original proto did have a chrome basket which I broke trying to get the spider ring off :) Looked pretty good too, not sure if I'll do it for production yet.

chrome and db's go hand in hand. i mean look at brands like audio pipe. i cant remember if it was the tso or the tsv but that think could be seen from space with that much chrome. and my guess is its loud as chit. :)

chrome and db's go hand in hand. i mean look at brands like audio pipe. i cant remember if it was the tso or the tsv but that think could be seen from space with that much chrome. and my guess is its loud as chit. :)

Hah, some people do like a nice looking sub too ;) Basically, what I'm thinking is that I want them to have the same general color scheme as the amps. Black cone, chromed basket, and a black motor structure (like the amps with the silver stripe down the center) -- it was supposed to have an anodized black motor on the prototype but the build house made a mistake. Doesn't cost me any more to have the basket chrome as it would to have it finished in black, otherwise I'd consider it a waste of money.

as you must have known i was kidding about the whole chrome thing. performance > bling.

can you give us some size specs such as mounting depth and such? or did that already pop up in this thread?

Sign in to follow this