Sign in to follow this  
mkylexl

Fi XXX

We all know the RE XXX and look at it in ahhh. But I was wondering if you ( Scott ) was ever going to re creat something similar to the XXX from Fi? If so but idk I would hold off on getting my XXXs or MXs. Just a thaugt.

Too big for any real practical purposes...but we'll come out with a new basket and more and more options eventually :).

Too big for any real practical purposes...but we'll come out with a new basket and more and more options eventually :).

sounds good. Will it be like the the XXX? Like the structure of it? Handle as much power as the XXX? Have as much xmax? Cost alot less? HOw long would it take im gettin my new setup in like 1-2 months could yall special build me a Fi XXX or like a BTL with great SQ and High xmax?

Edited by MK_King-Kon

That split VC XXX is so damned big. I classify it as a novelty sub more than anything. I have one in my closet...its too damned big and heavy.

Its just............yea an oddity

J

if scott were to make something like that, it wouldnt be a nuts as the xxx, he would make it more practical and useable

Edited by tprj82

sounds good. Will it be like the the XXX? Like the structure of it? Handle as much power as the XXX? Have as much xmax? Cost alot less? HOw long would it take im gettin my new setup in like 1-2 months could yall special build me a Fi XXX or like a BTL with great SQ and High xmax?

We're talking possibly years down the road...and making a one off woofer would cost in the ballpark of 2-3 grand, and have real no advantage over anything else...

That split VC XXX is so damned big. I classify it as a novelty sub more than anything. I have one in my closet...its too damned big and heavy.

what size wanna sell it?

Just out of curiousity. Would there be an options or any improvementfor the Q like more power or xmax? Would love for the Q to hit the lows so hard like the TC subs.

Also if there is an option for the Q, can I just ordered it and install with some tips from you guys or do I have to send it over.

thanks

Edited by appleyard

No any options we do later on will have to be done before the sub is assembled...it isnt something that you can 'add on' your current sub.

We're talking a LOOOOOOOOOONG shot down the road, not anytime even remotely soon.

Is a split coil ala xbl^2 still a possibility for Fi?

I'd love the xmag.

And who the hell was bitching about the size?!? Subwoofers aren't supposed to be petite.

Edited by dopey

Nope, we won't use xbl^2

Split coil technology may be a possibility in the future though.

Nope, we won't use xbl^2

Hmm sounds like you wouldn't even consider it, whats the reasoning behind this if you don't mind me asking.....

Have to pay royalties to use the technology.

Nope, we won't use xbl^2

Hmm sounds like you wouldn't even consider it, whats the reasoning behind this if you don't mind me asking.....

It's overrated, and kills the subwoofer's top end...

nG

Edited by ngsm13

so what exactly is xbl^2 and split coil?? and can someone explain the dual gap geometry that orion used on the h2's??

Well... I know both motor topologies quite well... one is free the other is not. Both have inherent drawbacks as well as pluses to the designs. Ill just stick to the royalty free version :)

I am MUCH more inclined to make a realistic sub than a statement piece. The XXX was designed to once again be the flagship for RE. Somehwere along the way with the introduction of the MT, people started to think that the MT was the big dog... and I always wanted the XXX to be.

No one really needs 54mm of Xmag. Most people simply dont need 4"+ of excursion. But "it is what it is" (does typing that in cyberspace count Shawn? ;) )

I wont say too much about what designs are done and collecting dust, or what is in the works of being made. I would much rather just come out with it and not spend a year and a half hyping something up. When you see something like that on the site... well then you know its done.

Thanks,

Scott

Just some question on xmax. I have read somewhere that the higher the xmax the less efficient the sub is. Not only in power handling but also at a certain point the extra mm wont make any difference. Would the xxx really need 54mm anyway?

what size wanna sell it?

12"...PM me or email me at bigjae1976@hotmail.com

And who the hell was bitching about the size?!? Subwoofers aren't supposed to be petite.

Uhhhh....I need my trunk for the stroller and groceries.

Bigger doesn't always = better.

Just some question on xmax. I have read somewhere that the higher the xmax the less efficient the sub is. Not only in power handling but also at a certain point the extra mm wont make any difference. Would the xxx really need 54mm anyway?

Not necessarily, efficiency is mainly derived from how strong the motor is.

Granted most high xmax subs have a LOT of moving mass involved, which raises the q up and effectively kills your motor strength....

Bottom line there are TONS of different ways you can approach designing a really high xmax sub...but most of which isn't practical, and isn't needed.

Sign in to follow this