bassbumper

what do sponsors look for in a car??

i was wondering how hard it is to get sponsored... cuz i was kinda looking into it but dont really know what they are looking for...

Someone who's up in national standings year in and year out...been around the scene...not afraid to travel thousands of miles a year to chase points.

It's one of those "don't call us, we'll call you" sort of things.

what jim said..you have to be able and willing to drop money into the sport. compete and do well. they'll notice you. it's hard to do for most, some get lucky.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Doesn't hurt if u have a floozy or two who is MORE than willing to get some sponsors attention towards you and your vehicle

either way still hard.

J

I would have to disagree to some point. I would say that it is really easy to earn yourself on a companies team, if you have the knowledge, determination, and attitude that that company is looking for. I landed a spot on Team Sundown Audio this year for my street A car, and i have never competed in spl before in my life. Before this year, i was an sq nut.

ohh, and being willing to spend a good chunk of change always helps. I will probably spend 2-3 grand on amps this year, all together about 8 grand on car audio.

no offense to sundown, but they aren't exactly mainstreme. landing a sponsorship with them is quite a bit easier then say kicker. so if one was to head towards a lesser known company, sure, sponsorship might be a bit easier to obtain. but try to land one with a big dog, you had better be known in the lanes.

but i'll agree, if you aren't willing to drop coin, it isn't going to happen. they have to see that your willing to make as big as an effort as is needed to compete and win. and most sponsorships aren't freebies, but rather discounted prices. so regardless, you still have to have bank to get product in most cases, not all, but most.

and i know one street a guy who has close to 2k in just wiring...lol...if he was to pay retail. but even with his sponsorships (kicker, cactus sounds), he's dropping alot of coin on amps, batteries and boxes. subs are holding up pretty good..lol......

hopefully, sundown will be a bigdog soon, as is Fi.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

no offense to sundown, but they aren't exactly mainstreme. landing a sponsorship with them is quite a bit easier then say kicker. so if one was to head towards a lesser known company, sure, sponsorship might be a bit easier to obtain. but try to land one with a big dog, you had better be known in the lanes.

but i'll agree, if you aren't willing to drop coin, it isn't going to happen. they have to see that your willing to make as big as an effort as is needed to compete and win. and most sponsorships aren't freebies, but rather discounted prices. so regardless, you still have to have bank to get product in most cases, not all, but most.

and i know one street a guy who has close to 2k in just wiring...lol...if he was to pay retail. but even with his sponsorships (kicker, cactus sounds), he's dropping alot of coin on amps, batteries and boxes. subs are holding up pretty good..lol......

hopefully, sundown will be a bigdog soon, as is Fi.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I won't debate that one bit. I built my last car, all out of pocket, even had a shop do the install, with labor it cost me 8.5 grand. I had 1000 dollars in wiring, 2400 in enclosure etc...

This time around I am doing all of the labor, so it will cost me a lot less, but trying to get a trunk car to even be competitive at single point events is going to be hard, hopefully next year if i can get a good resume going this year, i can land something with knukonceptz, because by next year i should have a crx too!

The level of support you want/expect from your sponsor will also determine a lot. If you just expect some help on setup and a special decal, it's really pretty easy. If you want the nexy level, i.e. access to limited run products, a discount on a companies products, etc..., it's a little bit harder, but if you perform well, should be a logical progression from the first level. If you want the full factory ride treatment (translation: free stuff) you will have to prove your worth on the national/international scene over the long term. You also will have to pretty much convince the company that you are the kind of person they want to represent their product. Willing to travel, willing to spend time showing your car to anyone who wants to see it at an event, good attitude, and so on.

Having a close relationship with Authorized Dealers / Installers is also huge. Many of the big names only take requests (or recommendations rather) from dealers that are in good standing with the sponsor. Even with that they still often get hundreds of requests a month so personal connections, just as in any other part of life, are really the foundation if you are serious about getting sponsored.

Lots of space in teh back so they can sex you up to determine your worth.

Seriously though, you need to spend your own money, before money is just thrown at you This and a lot of time.

DO it without a sponsor first you dont necessarily need to place in the top three at every event (although it helps) but make sure you go to as many as humanly possible. The further you are willing to drive the more a sponsor will want to look at you. They are relying on you to get their name out. If you are only going to a few local shows what good is that for them?

It has to be beneficial FOR THEM before it's beneficial for you.

Meaning, by them hooking you up... they need to get something beneficial out of it.

If you have to ask... you are a long way from getting a real sponsorship. Just the truth.

nG