Sign in to follow this  
Audio Junkies

Finally got an amp for the Maggies

I'm stoked, finally getting an Adcom GFA-555 II for my Maggies. :OhYeah:

I've heard them with 100 watts per side and they sounded good, but 300 watts per side is going to be badass. I can't wait!

Thanks to Jim for the recommendation a while back on my Magnepan thread. I ditched the idea of using a receiver to power the Maggies and decided to ante up for some real power.

The seller had a pair of them so that's why there are two in the picture.

d6241co5.jpg

mmm...

Can they be bridged? :P

Yes. :D

He had already sold one amp, so one will have to do for now. Not only that, but one 555 bridged per side would be insane. I'm probably going to have to bypass the fuses as it is with just the one amp.

Here are some pics of the Maggies after a total refurb. I replaced all of the electronics and relaid the tweeter wires. Ended up using copper foil inductors and Dayton 1% caps. I had to make a couple mylar patches for small holes that had opened up over the years and also added some 80Hz highpasses and Dayton binding posts as well as spikes. All of the wood was repaired and refinished by a local guy, and the skirts are brand new as well.

I ended up spending about $300 to make the MGI's as good as new (not including the $200 purchase price), and couldn't be happier. I know MMG's can be bought for that price, but I would much rather have something that has some character behind it like a 25 year old classic piece of audio gear.

mgi1kh9.jpg

mgi2sz4.jpg

mgi3bf8.jpg

mgi4rp0.jpg

mgi5ap4.jpg

Those are stunning!

<---- jealous

Wow.

Thanks for the compliments guys. Each one is 63" tall and 21" wide so my wife was a bit apprehensive at first about putting them in the house. So I let her listen to her favorite music (Dave Matthews Band) on them and that won her over.

Thanks for the compliments guys. Each one is 63" tall and 21" wide so my wife was a bit apprehensive at first about putting them in the house. So I let her listen to her favorite music (Dave Matthews Band) on them and that won her over.

:fing34:

And you got rid of them?

Heretic!

:D