Sign in to follow this  
TLM

newb to magnums, plz help!

this is my first real post, so here goes...

i am saving money for my 1st system and im lookin to do it right the 1st time

ive looked at rf,re, and anything in between and now my intereststs have landed on the 12" magnum d2

i am currently workin on a custom center consol in my 2002 s10 REG CAB, so my options are limited

now for the questions:

1. what kind of volume/tuning would be good for like a 60/40 or 70/30 spl/sq setup?

2.what amp would match up with that setup nicely?

3. yall are gonna hate me for this one but....how does it compare to a 12w7 in the same box/amp setup?

i understand this is alot for one post but im a complete newb to the magnums, so any info/suggestions/help/comments/etc. would be helpful

thanx

Tom

honestly think that in the SQ realm it beats the 12/13w7 and i think many people here will agree to that. and it should get louder i belive. thats speculation though bwcuase ive never seen a 13w7 loaded with power. thats just what ive heard around.

but the SQ part i can claim on. the 13w7 was in a ported box tuned low. he was going for SQ with that setup.

Once you go Mag you never go back.

I have 2 Mags...love them to death...

Nick "Can I suck your" Lemons has made a believer out of me....I have never met him before, I had no idea who he was until October..and he has brought me to a point where I can digest more than any information I ever thought possible...and I'm a rep for the company!!! I'm sure he thinks I'm annoying..I ask him questions all the time...but this man doesn't just give you a woofer that boasts SQ and SPL...he'll give you customer service and knowledge far greater than what other companies are willing to do. This man has made a speaker that will remain in my car until I quit car audio. I have ZERO reason to try another woofer.... Try a mag...you will be most definitely impressed so long as you wisely install your subwoofer in a box that adequately suites it's tastes.

your quick replies and great reviews have convinced me, im goin with the 12" magnum d2!

but still tho what box and amp am i lookin at here

max dims: LxWxH 32x14x18 w/3/4 mdf

32*14*18 = 8064 cu in. Take away 1.5" from each measurement to get the internal dimensions for the enclosure and you get 30.5*12.5*16.5 = 6290 cu in. Divide by 1728 = 3.64 cubic feet of internal volume. Subtract roughly 0.1 cube for the 12's displacement and you have 3.54 cubic feet.

If you were to use up all of this, or even most of this, you can definately go ported if you want to. The driver only need about 1.5 cubes sealed, and 2 cubes ported (after you take away how much the port(s) and speaker take up).

If you were to use conventional round ports (hopefully the aero ports - flared ends - to reduce noise), you would need at least two 4" ports that are 40.5" long each, which would displace 0.58 cubic feet. And with that number, I would reduce your enclosure size by about a full cubic foot to keep it around 2 cubes tuned to 28 Hz.

Now, if you did want to tune higher for more SPL, the figures above don't apply and the math part starts all over again. :) But as many people can attest, the Magnum will still get very loud in that enclosure.

Oh yeah, amps. Popular choices are the HiFonics Brutus bx1000, PG titanium 1200, and Viper 1200d.

If you were to use conventional round ports (hopefully the aero ports - flared ends - to reduce noise), you would need at least two 4" ports that are 40.5" long each, which would displace 0.58 cubic feet. And with that number, I would reduce your enclosure size by about a full cubic foot to keep it around 2 cubes tuned to 28 Hz.

i want the SQ so that tuning should be just fine but what would the dims be if i were to slot port it cuz theres no way i can get 40.5" no matter which way i face it, keep in mind this will be in a custom center consol of a reg cab s10

PS lemme just say , im soooo impressed by everyones knowledge and helpfulness on this forum, not to mention that there is no one (that ive seen so far) that comes on here just to bash people's ideas, ive only seen ppl that are helpful

thanx again

Tom

Use 90 degree bends (can be found at any local home improvement store) and you can fit a 50" long port in a box that's 10" deep.

PS: I'm glad you like the forum. :)

oooooooo i see, i never knew that, that makes my life much easier!

ok so, last questions

-can i make the box any dims as long as its approx 2 cubes?

-does it matter if the sub and ports are on the same side of the box?

-can the ports turn in any direction inside the box that i want?

-should i attache the port to the inside walls to keep it from coming apart?

sorry for so many questions but i wanna get all the info i can now that ive found such a knowledgable person!

thanx

Tom

-can i make the box any dims as long as its approx 2 cubes?

-does it matter if the sub and ports are on the same side of the box?

-can the ports turn in any direction inside the box that i want?

-should i attache the port to the inside walls to keep it from coming apart?

Let's see if I can answer these in order...

Remember, the box needs to be around 2.65 cubic feet (after port and driver displacement you're back to 2 cubes). But yes, you can make it any shape you want as long as it retains the same internal volume.

It is best if the sub and ports are on the same side of the box.

Yes. But make sure the inside opening of the ports have at least 3" of breathing room away from a wall.

You can if you feel it is necessary. Obviously when you join the pvc/plastic port together with the angled pieces you should use some type of glue, silicon, etc.

wow you have been so helpful, ive made a sub decision and i have box dims all in less than 72 hrs, ill keep you guys updated on the install!

so for those with the same needs ill summarize:

12" magnum d2 in a 2.65^3 box before displacements tuned to 28hz using two 4"x40.5" aero ports

thanx soooo much!!

Tom

Edited by tlm

I hope you mean 2.65 cubes tuned to 28hz before displacement...

You want 2.65 cubes by dimensions...then subtract the volume of the port to get your NET volume...Your net volume should be at 2 cubes...