Impious

Need Help Finding "Specialty Screws"

Well I need to find some screws and I'm not having any luck. They are allen head machine-type screws for the chassis of an amplifier.

I've searched high and low locally....from big box stores to mom-&-pop hardware stores to RC Hobby shops. Everything I've found is either too large or doesn't have the right thread pattern.

Anybody have an idea of a good store or website to look on to find somewhat obscure screws ?

Fasten-all or McMaster Carr.

Do you know the thread size and pitch?

Well, if my measurements are correct the threads are 3/16" in diameter with a pitch of .0625"

Did you try partsexpress?

I found some of mine non-standard screws there...

nG

Their "screw" category doesn't have anything close to what I need..... :(

Brad, there are some Fastenal locations near you in Angola and Kendallville. Try there. I have used them in the past for work and they can get anything I needed.

Brad, there are some Fastenal locations near you in Angola and Kendallville. Try there. I have used them in the past for work and they can get anything I needed.

Good call!

I work in Kendalltucky so I'll just swing by there on my way in.

If that doesn't work I'll try some of the other places you guys have recommended.

Thanks !

Funny. I drove by PE today and will be buy the Fastenal headquarters the week after next. I'd guess Fastenal will have it.

fastenal is the pimp place for hardware, lol. typically will have just about anything a man wants when it comes to screwing something.....

muhahahhaha

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

What kind of head is on it? You said an allen head, but is it like a button, cap, countersunk? I work at a hardware store and can normally get just about anything. Let me know, I go to work at 4 EST so I could check tonight. Get back to me.

Well....I handed Fastenal the screw that I need more of and they basically laughed and said "good luck with that".......

The head looks essentially like this;

480.1543.jpg

(only it's gloss black)

The guy at Fastenal said it's a #4 screw. It's about 1/4" to 5/16" long. It appears to be self-tapping (but not self-drilling/piercing, it's flat on the end)

The problem is the threads....it's extremely course. Apparently having this course of thread on such a small screw is pretty "rare". Can't take a good pic....but looking at it from the side it only has 5 "peaks" down it's entire length.

What amplifier is it for? I have some like you are describing from an Infinity amp.

BTW, worst case scenario, you can always tap them to a proper thread.

Ok that is what I call a cap head. The guy said it was a #4? Earlier you said it was about 3/16 which is a #10... I know we're nit pickin' here but I'm trying to get this right.

I looked in our catalog tonight and I can get you everything from a #2 all the way to a 3/8 with a cap head like that. Just matching the thread is going to be the problem. Also most of these are stainless so its kind of a weathered looking steel, its not exactlly black. Let me know if you want more information.

BTW, I know I can get black cap screws like that, just not a gloss black. Its more of what you pictured above.

Ok that is what I call a cap head. The guy said it was a #4? Earlier you said it was about 3/16 which is a #10... I know we're nit pickin' here but I'm trying to get this right.

I looked in our catalog tonight and I can get you everything from a #2 all the way to a 3/8 with a cap head like that. Just matching the thread is going to be the problem. Also most of these are stainless so its kind of a weathered looking steel, its not exactlly black. Let me know if you want more information.

BTW, I know I can get black cap screws like that, just not a gloss black. Its more of what you pictured above.

The ones he's talking about aren't an actual machine thread. They are self-starting/tapping sheetmetal type screws. These are common to all makes of amplifiers.

Ok. That makes sense then, its more of a sheet metal screw, I just realized he said that, but I didn't really put two and two together. I'll see what I can dig up.

What amplifier is it for? I have some like you are describing from an Infinity amp.

BTW, worst case scenario, you can always tap them to a proper thread.

Coustic Design Reference.

Stupid thing is about 2 months ago I sold some blown DR's I had....if I was smart I would have pulled the screws from one of those amps before I sold them :(

Also thanks for helping kbkid....let me know what you find.

Well, I was wrong anyways. Mine are phillips head. My RFs have the allen head screws though.

Alright I'll see if I can log onto our store's online catelog and see what I can come up with.

Kyle

Yeah, but they have a cut in the end to allow for self-tapping and it's flat.

I think .5" might be a little too long though.

But seems to be the same general type of screw that I need.

Ok, I'll keep trying. I'm working on digging up black ones though.

Wow 1/4" isn't much, espically since your having a cap head like that.

Edited by kbkid

Funny. I drove by PE today and will be buy the Fastenal headquarters the week after next. I'd guess Fastenal will have it.

Why didn't you visit?

;)

nG

Why didn't you visit?

;)

nG

I didn't know that is where you lived. :ughdunno: