Sign in to follow this  
Mathman

Question about the Q

I am curious as to about everything about the Q. I am newer to higher end car audio and will be doing something similar to my friend, who I think is getting 4 15" BTLs. How much SPL would 3 or 4 15" Q's produce? I want something that can cause tons of vibrations, maybe flex, but still sound amazing. not quite sure what to go with yet. Any help would be great. I would like the BTL's, but I think they would take up to much room in the bed of my truck, but I have yet to take solid measurements on how much room I actually will have. I am hoping to take up no more than about 3/4 of the bed, this including amps and extra batteries. Or suck it up and go with the BL or BTL. Doesn't really seem like in a ported enclosure it will take up to much more/less room between the 3.

When it all comes down to it, I want it to be loud as hell and be able to make cars around me vibrate a little if I crank it. Love it loud and non-stop

Edited by Mathman

You won't need as much power with the Q's, and they will sound better (given a proper install of course)

SPL numbers are strictly install dependent, we simply can't say that yes you are going to hit xxx.x dB's :)

Will it be loud? Sure!

Room wise though, how much less room is really needed by the Q's than the BTL's. Lastly, like I said, I also want a lot of vibrations and thump, almost enough to do those hair tricks, so will the BL's be a better choice for me.

BLs would be a better choice for SPL over the Qs. I can't do hair tricks with my BLs (damn trunk cars lol!) but they rattle the mirrors of cars infront of me lol. (Disclaimer, I don't keep it up at lights, but my boy wanted to see what it'd do lol).

sounds great, but in comparison with the BTLs room wise in the bed of the truck???

Hey heres a thread I started like a month ago thats got some good info on it about Q's I was wondering the same thing. undefined

Wes

BTW I hit 145 w/ one Q 15 on a bxi 1606

As for ROOM wise check the site ficaraduio.com for enclosure comparisons

As well as the stickies in the top portion of these forums

BLs would be a better choice for SPL over the Qs. I can't do hair tricks with my BLs (damn trunk cars lol!) but they rattle the mirrors of cars infront of me lol. (Disclaimer, I don't keep it up at lights, but my boy wanted to see what it'd do lol).

With 4 bls you should be very loud. maybe a hair trick?

but as far as rattling the mirrors in front of you, I was following behind my fiance's car going 55mph leaving quite a bit of car space, as soon as I cranked it up she put her hands on her ears, and then called me and told me she heard it the second I turned it up, and that her mirror was moving. My point is with that much power you'll be annoying others regardless of the car being in motion. Sounds like you're more spl oriented, and if so I'd get the BLs. Done right they'll still sound very good.

Where do you live mathman?

I know choosing is a difficult process. I have seen and heard 6 Q 15's that will have no problem lifting the shirt off your chest. I have heard 8 BTL 15's that did the same thing. It really depends on what you want out of the system. Do you want SPL or are you leaning toward SQ. This will have a direct effect on your choice. There is another factor that Nick commented earlier, the install factor. You can take the best subs in the world and put them in a bad box with poorly tuned amps and it will sound bad. I guess my point is, if your goals are shaking the car and hair tricks, they are all, given the correct install, capable of doing so. liljohn truck has SSD's, Frankie's car has Q's, and Shawn's van has BTL's, and they can all do what you are describing.

Some things to ask. What is your budget (you will go over, but it gives you a starting point)? How much room do you have to maximaize output? Do you have the electrical to support something big? What kind of sound are you looking for?

Be specific. Asking how much less room one woofer requires than the other is not specific enough. It is difficult to give you a path without these questions being answered. I will be around today to see if I can help. :)

i got a 15Q and i can do all of those things... (except hair trick havent tried it yet) but i have also been dropping lots of time and money into my electrical and design... and the sq of this sub is phenominal to any sub i have ever heard... but im sure it aint bad on the rest.. and it seems a lot of people are hitting mid 140's ( cant wait to get metered)... and also for mad thump today i turned mine up to show a friend and it shakes the ground about 150-200 feet away.. enough to set off car alarms.. :P now im thinking of 2 of them cuz i think im in love lol

Sign in to follow this