Sign in to follow this  
bassplayer

New to Fi and Got some questions!

hello, I have some questions about getting an 18 inch fi sub for everyday driving. I see that the Q line is built for SQ and has a hefty 27 mm xmax, but whats the real sound difference of a q 18 compared ssd 18s? and whats the freq response in a moderate sized enclosure for a Q 18? and does the 18s sound floppier than the 15s or do they have the same characteristics, but just move more air? Whats the magnet weight of the 18 Q? I know its a lot of questions HAha. :thanx:

oh and also what are the differences between Q and a BL that is customized for daily driving?

Edited by BassPlayer

Only been 3 hours man :).

Frequency response between the two are similar..its just a matter of how much power you have to run, how much room you want to sacrifice.

The SSD is a lower power more 'street jamming' type woofer

The Q is more of a sound quality oriented woofer...with 1000 watts on tap

The BL is between the Q and BTL, more SPL oriented with less power than the BTL...roughly 1500 watts is needed/optimal for these woofers.

Cone size and accuracy have nothing to do with one another, the myth that a 10 sounds 'tighter' than a 18 is nothing more then that, a myth.

Thanks

-Nick

Hey man, how's it goin. I'm new to the Fi forum too, been on ecoustics for a little over a year, but heard about the free stuff promo haha.

But yea, i'm not sure how much car audio you know, but you might want to consider a 12 or a 15. I think your best bet would be a 12" Q or maybe even 2 12" SSd's. You'll really like them alot. If you want an 18 thought, by all means man, get an 18, alot of people stand by them 100%. I personally have only owned 12s and i love em. I've considered 10s, but haven't heard too many 15s, if not any 18s to tell ya the truth. Good luck though

as most people say, its in the install

my Q18 sounds better than my old Kicker CVX 15 and my friends 12 type R sounds better than the CVX, both are generally good sounding subs. the Q is on a whole different level. and those are different installs, different tastes. theres no real way of telling you whats best because there are so many variables.

I think because you seem fairly new to this, you may want to stick with 10"s, 12"s or 15"s because of the flexibility of the installs. if you got a big truck, throw some 18"s in that bish! haha just remember if it doesnt sound right, its most likely the enclosure

Yeah the sub would be goin in my escalade ext truck that i just got.

I am thinking about getting someone to build the enclosure or doin it myself with my friends tools from his garage, and the back seats can fold down and you can pop a hatch that exposes the whole truckbed to the cab itself so there is plenty room in the bed and have the sub and vent hit into the actual cab. Its gonna be great!

Speaking of blowthrough's...

I'm gonna build my box with the subs and port firing into the cab of a ford taurus. The box will be completely sealed from the trunk. I will sometimes have people in the back of my car, so the seats have to come up. Will the subs still sound the same if I open up the rear deck so air can flow through and into the cab?

as most people say, its in the install

my Q18 sounds better than my old Kicker CVX 15 and my friends 12 type R sounds better than the CVX, both are generally good sounding subs. the Q is on a whole different level. and those are different installs, different tastes. theres no real way of telling you whats best because there are so many variables.

I think because you seem fairly new to this, you may want to stick with 10"s, 12"s or 15"s because of the flexibility of the installs. if you got a big truck, throw some 18"s in that bish! haha just remember if it doesnt sound right, its most likely the enclosure

Uhmm... thats new. Never heard anyone said the R sounded better than the CVX. It was suppose to be Kicker LSQ sub.

Sign in to follow this