Sign in to follow this  
Thomas G

What can i do about this Scott??

Well to make it easier and shorter let me just paste the link so you can see what the problem is....:

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/4/354626.html

And since im on this forum now, my other 18" has never been able to go to 1 ohm load. I am hooking it up correctly it just doesnt even turn on when i try to parellel it. What could be the problem?? Thanks,

Thomas

Idk but it seems to be happening alot lately. I think someone sabotaged the tinsel leads.

my other 18" has never been able to go to 1 ohm load.
"1 ohm" is simply a "nominal" load. The actual impedance of the driver changes depending on the cone's movement, so 1 ohm is simply given as a general figure to use. The actual impedance at rest (known as the DCR) will vary slightly from it.
it just doesnt even turn on when i try to parellel it.

Sounds like your amp doesn't like the low impedance, and is going into protection.

Oh, and that Polo guy is a first-rate idiot.

I feel bad that what he says passes for "advice" over there.

Oh, and that Polo guy is a first-rate idiot.

I feel bad that what he says passes for "advice" over there.

First of all it is not my amp because my other Q is wired down to 1 ohm(or what ever it may exactly be) on the other channel, so please dont blame my amp i even tried it on my other channel(it is 1 ohm stable), it would be moreless a 1ohm load if i parallel 2ohm dvc, correct?? Well thats how Fi is labeling them as dual 2 ohm. Please there is no need for imature name calling, ecoustics and pretty much every other forum i know is opinionated. Now is scott around??

out of curiosity what kind of amp is it

your correct wiring the coils parallel will yield a 1 ohm load

out of curiosity what kind of amp is it

your correct wiring the coils parallel will yield a 1 ohm load

Its a hifonics xx colossus, i know i didnt over power them because my electrical power is still insufficient to get the full potential of that amp. I still need to get my HO alt(soon).

1600W RMS x 2 @ 1 Ohm stereo TJ is that what you had it at....

I don't think your amp is faulty but it may be a bit much for the Q's

the Q's max out at roughly 1200 watts.... (and thats a clean 13+ volt 1200 watts)

If you don't have the electrical for the amp that doesn't mean the amp puts out less wattage then the rated 1600...

It just means that it will send a clipped signal sooner then it would if it were receiving the right voltage...

i think they key to remember is this "quote from topgun"

when you load the amps to a lower impedance the current increases more than the increase in voltage (current is the acutal flow of electrons, voltage is just the push). A greater increase in current than voltage is going to mean an even bigger increase in heat that has to be dissipated.

TO much current was pushed through the tinsel leads and they got HOT and went poof. That only happens with to much power.

once you electrical is upgraded... you set your gains with a DMM and you find the LIMIT on your HU knob then just stay under that threshold on the volume knob I can 90% say this won't happen again ...

Be glad the subs are made for just the tinsel leads to break when it gets a clipped signal and not the motor or coil burning...

i think the posts from this link on down will clear things up a bit better

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...st&p=231026

I just want to help make sure you don't get the problem again TJ

Edited by theabunai

You can send the sub in for repair, or I can send you out some lead wire and a dust cap to replace it with yourself. What enclosure are you running and if it is ported, where is your subsonic filter set?

Well get you taken care of ASAP.

Thanks,

Scott

those amps are stiffly regulated and do rated power off one batt at 12v :D so yeah, you're getting full power, a HO alt with that amp will just keep the amp alive longer... mine has been dead for 2 years and I'm still trying to get it fixed :(

You can send the sub in for repair, or I can send you out some lead wire and a dust cap to replace it with yourself. What enclosure are you running and if it is ported, where is your subsonic filter set?

Thanks,

Scott

Which sub do i take for repair the one with broken tinsel leads, or the one that cant be wired in parallel?? How much would it cost??

I am really good at determining when my subs start to distort, so i know i didnt over distort it.

And scott i have both 18" Q's in the same chamber in a sealed enclosure.

Thanks,

Scott

Alright then can you just send me the parts i need to try to repair them myself?? I need two dustcaps and enough lead wire to repair both subs.

Thanx

Thomas

Well seems it's all sorted so keep us posted on how it goes

Edited by theabunai

Well seems it's all sorted so keep us posted on how it goes

ya i just hope i can do it, ive never done it before.

Sign in to follow this