Koridan

I cant install my HU!!

I have a 1966 Chevy C-10 Pickup and I am pulling the system out of my car to put in the Truck when I get the brakes fixed. Anyway, I have been surfing the web like crazy and I can't find a dash install kit for the truck So I can put my HU in it. Do they even make one? Or am I going to have to have someone cut into the dash to make a custom fitted one?

No sir , no kits available. Could always put the head unit i the glove box and keep the factory look of the dash. :)

well do they even make a wiring harness for an aftermarket HU or just an adapter to the stock radio.

For something that old, you are better off running new wires.

As far as installing the HU, if you don't mind cutting the dash a little, you could weld something up to give the HU something to mount in.

Only way to get it in the dash is to cut. Either build a center console to mount the new unit in or deal with it being in the glove box if you don't want to cut. As far as wiring, you only need 3 wires. There are only like 6 behind the whole dash. You need power, ground and ignition switched power. Those shouldn't be that hard to come by on that truck. I know it wasn't on my '69.

Its a square hole that you need, nothing special 7" x 2" iirc. You could easily build a console out of mdf, fit a front plate in your glovebox, or hack a small hole in the dash. Perhaps a small box connected under the dash would be okay as well (I don't remember what the dash layout looks like in those). There may be other good ideas too. Post some pics of your dash and more people will chime in.

Cut the dash.

Or, mount in glove box or center console.

To wire up, you'll need to run wires yourself.

nG

Got pictures. Just waiting to get them back. in the mean time. What about mounting it into the ceiiling?

Edited by Madrox

Unless you are pretty crafty with the install it will look really strange.

could always glass it on the dash

the underdash kit is junk. would not fit the contours of the dash at all. i see only three options...either airsaw the current factory location to accept a new single din unit (takes about 5 minutes), remove the liner from the glove box and mount there (did this once and retained enough area for a small pocket) or build a center console. we just finished up this last one in a truck with a pair of cupholders and 6x9's. nothing fancy, just some mdf and carpet.

wiring is plain and simple like already mentioned.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

build a center console. we just finished up this last one in a truck with a pair of cupholders and 6x9's. nothing fancy, just some mdf and carpet.

...you put speakers in the middle?

I'd definitely put that right where the stock one was.

What you can't see is that behind the trim panel of that radio (which isn't stock) is the good old two-shaft style holes in the metal dash.

I know, I have had my share of older cars. Either way I'd still put it there. I thought at first you didn't want to cut the dash since it is a classic, but after seeing all the rust I'd definitely just whack a hole out and make the radio fit in there.