My car came with an Alpine CDA-9835 and I want to get an Ipod adapter for it but every store I go in to find one tells me I should get a newer head unit so I can use the high speed Ipod crap. I don't really want to spend money on a new head unit but if it logically makes sence I will.

Stores are quoting me around $150 for the ipod interface and they all finish with it would be better to get a new head unit for that much but I don't see why I would downgrade my head unit.

My old car had a JVC-KDSH1000 head unit and I had the Ipod adapter for that which was pretty crappy but I just usualy throw my ipod on shuffle and drive. I will admit that finding a specific song was extremely difficult and frustrating.

What would you guys advise?

Budget is around $600 if I get a new headunit.

I'd keep it, or if you want sell it to me cheap.

not that im trying to be rude or anything but what does this headunit have that newer models are lacking?

Onboard processing that's worth a chit.

there are several places that have the adapter for under $100. you might still need the AInet cable though.

Onboard processing that's worth a chit.

Bass Engine Pro. Crossovers to run your system active, eq made for actually fixing anomalies in a car, and time alignment for each driver; however, if you never plan to run active it doesn't buy you all that much.