Impious

In Need of HT Speakers

Not a bad way to start in particular to decide on some crossover points.

Heh....I was actually thinking about that earlier today after your previous post about running them active temporarily....actually seemed like a pretty simple solution to just run them off of the car active at various xover points. Wouldn't be perfect (finite xover points FTL), but would be a good starting point.

I knew that H701 would come in useful eventually :P

useful eventually?? it isn't in your car? I'll trade you your DX-28 back for it. :D

Yeah, it's in my car.

But at the moment I'm not utilizing it's full potential, or even remotely close....and with working on the HT this summer it'll probably be next summer before I get around to doing anything more to the car again.

And no; you can keep the DX-28 ;):D

Come on, its just sitting in the basement. Gone the route of the 8454 and 880 in my two cars. Going to use it for what you are currently though...that is if I don't buy a DCX2496 by accident first.

Maybe it's because I haven't heard any yet....but I have this preconceived notion in my head that single-driver units wouldn't have the....stamina, I guess...to keep up with some of the demands that I may place upon them.

Which is exactly one of the reasons why I'm out to prove that wrong :)

If this was for stereo...those JBL's mated to a 300Hz tractrix horn would be devastating. 113'ish dB/W on the top end, midbass efficiency in the mid to upper 90s...

Maybe when I have more time and money Jim :)

Have you ordered the 21's yet?

Just bit the bullet & ordered (6) CA21's, (3) 27TDFC and two bucking magnets.

That'll give me my two mains plus the center (bucking magnets for the center channel mids).

Then all that'll be left is the two rear surrounds, which'll probably be the same tweets with the CA18RNX this fall sometime.....

Hopefully it all works out well & I didn't just waste $300 that I probably shouldn't have spent to begin with :)

You might see a build log on all of this around August ;)

This is one of the few times I'm glad I live where I do.

Madisound is only 2 day shipping, PE packages I receive next day if I order before their 2pm (or whatever) cutoff time, and Meniscus though I've never had to use them is only 2hrs north of me.

normal_IM000916.jpg

normal_IM000915.jpg

Apparently the manufacturer they were OEM'd for;

normal_IM000917.jpg

Maybe for these ??;

http://www.innersound.net/kachina.html

with the dayton 8s, it shows the woofers and the tweeters on different circuits? will i need to run these in series or parallel?

with the dayton 8s, it shows the woofers and the tweeters on different circuits? will i need to run these in series or parallel?

?? Those are Seas CA21's...

I'm thinking CSS/Adire FR125's in either transmission lines or one of Planet10's excellent designs for them.

Maybe it's the crossoverless-single driver weenie in me speaking, but they're cheap and extend pretty low in the right enclosures.

Some of the commercial offerings of coaxial speakers can make for a really good stereo experience.

Some.....

I have a pair of B&C 12CXB's in 3.75 foot enclosures. I've got them tuned to around 40-45Hz...I think.....I have a big wad of polyfil in the cabinets, and I am not accounting for the "faked in" volume the dacron gives.

I need to hook up a VTVM and a signal generator to watch impedance and determine vent tuning.

They ain't optimum, but they have good punch and depth so far. I had them tuned way too low,(32-35Hz) and didn't realize how lean the bass was until I tuned them higher.

Dialed in, it's like headphones.

I have a pair of Altec 15" 415A Bi-flex drivers. They aren't the duplex tweeter type. They have a sub midrange cone with a outer woofer cone.

They need a helper tweeter pretty much, and a rather large bass reflex cabinet, but they can crank out some bass. I was using a Selenium slot tweeter capped off with a 1 mic cap.

What I noticed is you can really power into the things without much if any cone breakup, which is a issue with some fullrange drivers.

The Altec's have some excellent midrange, voices are nice. If they only had a tweeter in the center.