Sign in to follow this  
niqnak

10" SSD or Q w/ 1100 watts

What options would I need to best run a 10" SSD off 1100 watts? It would be going into a sealed enclosure probably around .6 cu ft after displacement. How would this compare to an FI Q on the same power in the same enclosure? The mounting depth of the Q might be pushing my limits a little too far, but I think the smaller enclosure requirement might be able to make up for it. I listen to almost entirely hip hop music and I will need it to help fill in a little mid bass since I am only going to be running 5.25 comps up front.

Edited by niqnak

Tough call on this one. A single sealed 10" isnt the biggest output setup going... and with .6 cuft after displacement you are almost at the point where you could run a sealed 12". 1100W puts you right in Q territory, or with some modded SSD10s with copper coils and a slightly different suspension, a pair of 10s sealed in that space with about .5lbs of polyfill would work well.

Id probably shrink things down if you need to go with a sealed 10" from what you have.

What vehicle is it and roughly what are the dimensions you have space wise?

Thanks,

Scott

I listen to almost entirely hip hop music and I will need it to help fill in a little mid bass since I am only going to be running 5.25 comps up front.

Sounds like you're going about things the wrong way, if you're looking for midbass...

I listen to almost entirely hip hop music and I will need it to help fill in a little mid bass since I am only going to be running 5.25 comps up front.

Sounds like you're going about things the wrong way, if you're looking for midbass...

I am not gonna say I know the guy, but it sounds like he is looking for low end freq response and is not getting it with his 5.25's. I agree with Scott, I think you would be happier with a sealed 12" Q or 2x 10's with Copper coils (More likely the Q). The question is do you have room for it?

To solve a lot of the ideas and things being thrown around.

First of all I drive a 1990 BMW 325is, right now I have had 6.5" comps in custom kicks for almost 2 years now and I'm becoming unhappy with them. The kick pods are driving me insane since there was not much space to work with and the car is manual. I want to go with 5.25 and just drop them into the stock locations so I don't have to deal with the hassle the next time around.

Second, the issue of space. The idea of a single 10 started when someone suggested the area below the rear window in my car in the space behind the door panel (then facing in towards the other side of the car). I might be able to get up into the 1 cu ft volume range before displacement, but there is not a lot of depth to work with or outside surface area to mount anything greater than a 10. I could possibly run 2 10's, one on either side, but I am not sure how they would sound facing each other like that. Also, with the sub right behind my I think 1 10's output should be OK. Plus I really only have 1100 watts max to play with, so then it drops me down to 550 each for a set of 2 subs and I have to look elsewhere anyways.

If anything was unclear just let me know and I will try to re-explain. Thanks for the help so far.

Edit: My full setup as of right now

Headunit: Nakamichi CD-400

Components: RE RE's

Compnent Amp: Memphis MC-300 (150x2)

Sub: 12" RE SE (1.2ft^3 sealed) * in the trunk

Sub Amp: Memphis MC-500D (500x1)

the trunk is very well sealed off from the cabin in my car which is why i want to try out an in-cabin install of a sub. if this doesn't pan out then i will just throw a 12 or 15 in a ported box with the 1100 watts and solve the problem with more output :woot:

Edited by niqnak

I have been more leaning towards the idea of 2 10's now instead of the one. I still only have 1100 watts to work with though. What would end up being the loudest configuration though in a sealed box?

2 SSD 10's with 550 watts each

1 SSD 10 with 1100 watts

1 Q 10 with 1100 watts

or should I look elsewhere for 2 10's being powered by 550 each?

(2)SSD10s will have the most output with the given power. How much space do you want to work with? I think mine are in .4 cuft each... been a while. One of these days Ill get aroudn to swapping the standard versions for copper coils, but so far Ive been very happy with the standard SSD10s sealed.

i might be able to get 1 cu ft before displacement for each driver. will 550 watts be enough to get the SSD's moving to their potential or would i be better off going to another sub that does better off of that kind of power? the only other subs i have been looking at besides the Q and SSD are the RL-i's...

If you can get 1 cuft before displacement, I would step up to the Q12 sealed. Qtc would be around what most like, and you could back it down a little to .7 with about .75 lbs of polyfill. Less expensive option that a pair of SSD10s and should be about optimal in the space and with that power.

Thanks,

Scott

If you can get 1 cuft before displacement, I would step up to the Q12 sealed. Qtc would be around what most like, and you could back it down a little to .7 with about .75 lbs of polyfill. Less expensive option that a pair of SSD10s and should be about optimal in the space and with that power.

Thanks,

Scott

I would love to go with a 12" Q but it wouldn't work. I don't know if u read my post above, but I don't have the mounting depth or surface area for a 12.

It is really easy to fit 6.5's almost in the stock locations on an E36, not sure on your car though. If you are having a midbass problem though I'd really advise not going to a 5.25 instead. You are going to sacrifce a lot if you do. If I had to, had to run 5.25's I'd either run a set of the Scan Speak Rev's active or the Seas W16nx. I don't think you are going to get more midbass out of another 5 while maintaining the capability of playing midrange.

To get bass out of the trunk, open up the ski pass through and the rear speakers. From my experience that yields pretty satisfactory results in a BMW. Personally if I ever get off my ass I am going to do a band pass with the port firing through the ski hole.

Sign in to follow this