turtles1118

Pre Amps

Just looking for some help hear,

What do pre amps do?

What are some things to stay away from?

How do you run more than one amp?

What are some good brands?

What do pre amps do?
Provide a way to control volume, channel balance, switch different sources, overcome signal loss in the interconnects, and match impedances from the source to the amp(s).
What are some things to stay away from?

Anything cheaply built, or something that introduces noise into your system :)

How do you run more than one amp?
If you're talking about running multiple amps for stereo, you can use Y-adapters if your amps have left/right inputs. Mine were dedicated monoblocks, so I just have a single RCA lead from each to the outputs of the pre. For multichannel, there are ready-made 5.1 pre/processors that have individual outputs for left/right mains, rears, and center.

For an active/bi-amped setup, you'd run a cable to the input of the crossover and plug the amps into their appropriate passbands.

What are some good brands?

What's your budget?

What's your budget?

Around 100$ right now but next friday is pay day and should have another 200$ to add to that.

Lookin for something to hookup to amps, one for too main speakers and the other for the MJ-18,

Main use would be music and a occasional movie. Not lookin for a 5.1 setup or any thing fancy.

Edited by turtles1118

Just re-read.

$300 is a doable budget. Give me a few minutes and I'll have some links.

Jimj

What about going from the processors sub outs (RCA) to amp 1 monoblock input then from the amp 1 monoblocks output to the amp 2 monoblock input ?

Or would the Y adapters be better to go to each amp ?

I don't know of many amps that would have line level outputs...

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?pre...&1184871114

That's one heck of a deal.

I have an ARC preamp, and I love the thing. Blows the Rogue Audio 66 that I had out of the water.

looks like a good deal but i know that aint the only thing out there for the price but i was hoping to stay around 200$ but 300$ is the max including shipping.

100$ for the MJ-18

400$ on amps

280$ on main speakers

100$ wires and wood and other parts and pieces needed

any thing more then another 250$-300$ is tops other wise the wife will be pist that i spent more on my home audio then i did her ring.

Check Audiogon. There's a couple others that I saw on there; NAD, Bryston, and others.

any thing more then another 250$-300$ is tops other wise the wife will be pist that i spent more on my home audio then i did her ring.

I hear ya buds

Edited by theabunai

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?pre...&1185312757

I used to have a NAD 3020 (the integrated amp version of that)...really cool unit. Two pairs of preouts for a sub connection, you'd just need a suitable crossover on whatever amp you went with for the sub. Decent phono stage if you ever want to get into vinyl, too.

I hear ya buds

I have already decided that when I do get married, I will just spend an enormous amount of money on my wife's ring so that she can never use that line against me... but than again If all goes well I will be a heart surgeon and making some pretty decent amount of money.

I have already decided that when I do get married, I will just spend an enormous amount of money on my wife's ring so that she can never use that line against me... but than again If all goes well I will be a heart surgeon and making some pretty decent amount of money.

kinda thought about that before i pooped the ? but at that time i wasent making that much money and it all happened kinda quick but i strongly suggest that you do spend a lot, it will help in the long run, and i hope you make it as a heart surgeon.

And thanks to everyone for the help!

Edited by turtles1118

hey just get your ring at Zales Turtle

they have this Trade up option

we started at 1/2 karat and now that i am a 5th year apprentice for Air conditioning and making more she now has a 1-1/2 Karat .... We just kept trading up.... the trade works like they buy the diamond back for the price you paid and that goes toward the next purchase... so say the 1/2 karat was got for 1,000 bucks.... when you trade up they give you 1,000 bucks off the next diamond you get... so the 1 Karat is 2,000 you get 1,000 of that purchase.....

hey just get your ring at Zales Turtle

they have this Trade up option

we started at 1/2 karat and now that i am a 5th year apprentice for Air conditioning and making more she now has a 1-1/2 Karat .... We just kept trading up.... the trade works like they buy the diamond back for the price you paid and that goes toward the next purchase... so say the 1/2 karat was got for 1,000 bucks.... when you trade up they give you 1,000 bucks off the next diamond you get... so the 1 Karat is 2,000 you get 1,000 of that purchase.....

I would but she likes what shes got cuse the band alone cost me 1200$ and the rock was another 900$

did i for get to tell i bought a little car stuff and she put it all as one total price.

Thanks tho