Sign in to follow this  
JazzScreamer

Three-Way system in the future

I know this subject has been hit several times, I'm looking to do a three way front stage in my wife's altima. I was thinking of doing the Dynaudio Esotec 342 (yes I know that's pretty pricy). I like the configuration of the setup though. 7" woofer 3" midrange and (big) 1" tweet. This will not probably happen for a few months, but I'm doing some research now to know what I'm getting into. Is there anything else out there that may be in the same ball park as the Dynaudio or better for the price. I would greatly appreciate the advice from some of you expierianced SQ guys. Thanks. I will have more question soon. :thanx::fing34:

Edited by JazzScreamer

Can you step up to an 8 and run everything active?

I might be able to. The three way set up was gonna involve a mod to the door panel anyway. I would love to run an 8" up front. What do you have in mind M5///? I think I will post some pics of the doors soon to see what people may suggest. This will give a visual perspective that can give a better view of where I'm coming from. :fing34: I'm also willing to run everything active.

Well to me a passive 3 way is a waste. There is no real way to control it in a car environment. I suppose if you had really small feet and put all three drivers in your kicks it would be fine, but otherwise I think you need the flexibility of active crossovers and processing.

As for what I have in mind, it all depends on what you want to spend, what your goals are, and how much room you have for drivers. Take a look in your doors and see what sort of 8 you think you can fit and we can start from there.

This is what I have to work with.

P5300035.jpg

P5300044.jpg

I don't think I can fit an 8" woofer in the stock location. A 7" would be much more realistic. The mid would go just to the right of the door handle (no bigger than a 4" mid) and the tweet on the black section by the side view mirror. At least that's my thought process as of know. As far as the sound I'm looking for...Total SQ with natural dynamic sound (nothing too harsh sounding). I'm not a fan of the titanium tweets as they sound to harsh for my likeing. I listen to mostly acoustic type stuff with the occasional alternative rock, so great midbass is critical. I don't want to spend more than $500-600 on the front stage. As always, I'm open to suggestion as far as setup and speakers.

As far a powering this front stage, I will most likely be doing some kind of Zed Audio setup. Thanks!!! :fing34:

Thanks for the pics, where are you going to put the mids?

The inductors required to do passive 3-way scare me.

There's a lot of copper in them thar thangs...:)

The one thing I'd change is to run the mids in kicks, to reduce the pathlength difference. Midbasses could go in the doors.

Thanks for the pics, where are you going to put the mids?

I was thinking of putting them next to the door handles. Above the Midbass and below the tweets. A cutout and glassing would be involved. What do you think?

I like the kicks or the dash better, but you have to do what you can.

I do have an opening deep in the dash. Do you think this could be a possible locationfor a mid or tweet. I do understand that I won't get the perfect setup by just theorizing what would be best location till I mock the speakers up. Any suggestions as far a actual speakers in the sizes I mentioned? :thanx:

I don't have a pic right now, But the factory speakers in the dash are 4". They are tucked at the corners of the windshield like most vehicles that have speakers in that location. Does that help?

Here is another idea I had. I checked again for the size of speakers I could use and I can go bigger than a 7". As a matter of fact, I mocked up my 8" Assasin in the door to see if it would fit. Here is a pic of the door (again)

P5300035.jpg

Here is Assasin up against the door.

P6190171.jpg

I have enough depth for the Assasin in the door. I understand that if I go this way that the door would need to be very well dampened. The door really lends itself to this process. I can take the middle portion of the door apart so I can really get the door dampened and sealed.

P5300038.jpg

I would have to rebuild the bottom half of the door to accomodate an 8" sub. Lucky for me the bottom portion can be seperated from the rest of the door. As for a midbass/midrange driver, I was wanting to install an AA Poly just above the sub (it would not be part of the enclosure for the sub) and the tweet would go in the top portion of the door where it meets the a-pillar.

Any opinions on this setup? I know it's not the norm, but I thought I would throw the idea out on the forum and get some opinions. This would be an active setup and would be used for SQ purposes.

I love it and hate it at the same time. Up front bass gives me wood, a beefy in 8 in the door excites me, but all that weight and potential energy really frightens me. Even swinging the extra weight on the hinges is spooky. I have so much deadening in my truck that the doors weigh a ton, I can't imagine putting a 25lb sub in them especially considering how much of a baffle and other extra weight would be needed. I don't think it is super feasible to do with that driver. I'd like a bit more frequency extension to allow a smaller mid. I wouldn't go 4 way front + sub by adding a Poly either.

I did think that the weight could be an issue. So any suggestions of where to go with this? I'm a bit stumped right now.

lol, I have been bothering M5 about 8s in front for a while. First I thought I'd try an 8 woofer and run it higher 2 way but the off axis kills that, now want to try an 8 low and a full range (M5 suggestion and I like it). I also thought it would be nice to have an 8" sub, but those are valid issues plus fitting if there are depth limits. It depends on how you run it, figure if you run it 50Hz and higher it should not need to move huge air for SQ/daily driver use. ANeonRider has peerless sls 8s in the doors and likes them, I looked at dayton quatro too but its somewhat heavy. An 8 has to have an easier time of it than a 6.5 is my reasoning, so while huge cool drivers are so temping...for normal use they may not be needed here. More of a woofer than a sub is what I have been looking at, though the two I listed above are pretty respectable. Also with the 2way I want to try the 8 will likely need to go up over 300Hz; most 8 subs peak at 100Hz while the sls is fairly flat. Not sure how much difference that makes until I research it more.

I don't think the weight would be that much of an issue unless you use something huge (heavy) like the sub pictured. It would be close to the hinges so the door should swing fairly normally with a moderate 8". Just my .02.

I love it and hate it at the same time. Up front bass gives me wood, a beefy in 8 in the door excites me, but all that weight and potential energy really frightens me. Even swinging the extra weight on the hinges is spooky. I have so much deadening in my truck that the doors weigh a ton, I can't imagine putting a 25lb sub in them especially considering how much of a baffle and other extra weight would be needed. I don't think it is super feasible to do with that driver. I'd like a bit more frequency extension to allow a smaller mid. I wouldn't go 4 way front + sub by adding a Poly either.

Dude, you should come and help me FG a 3way setup in the X. I will run 8's up there without an issue.

You have depth to fit an Assassin? :(

I have doors the size of garages but need to build out for anything past 3" :(

You have depth to fit an Assassin? :(

I have doors the size of garages but need to build out for anything past 3" :(

The sub would have to stick out from the door about 2 inches or so if I remember correctly. I realize this is quite a bit of a project now and I'm re-thinking this. This is why I like posting my thoughts, that way smarter people can help me avoid huge headaches. The project is on hold for now. I'm seperating from the military and movin' back to DFW and money is tight. I got some eqipment I'm thinking of getting rid of (nothing special) couple of Alpine subs, and some MB quart stuff. I guess I may post it up on the FS thread. :thanx:

3" is not a huge build out, well at least not for me. Are the Assassins good subs? Have not heard anything from AA except for the Avalanche.