Sign in to follow this  
theabunai

Bi Amping components

I have A/D/S 346cs Component set....

these are the 6-1/2 set (the most expensive one they have supposedly)

I am looking to ditch the passive X-over and go all active...

Question is power

I want to get a Sundown Audio SAX-100.4 and go Bi amp on the components

Rear channels midbass

Front channels tweeters..

Does ANYONE know if EACH (the tweeters will see 100 watts each as the woofers will see their own 100 watts) these components handle this wattage ?

The set handles a wattage of 120 watts BUT that is together as a set and i have no idea if it handles the same wattage by itself ?

I know I know you are all probably saying why don't i contact the dealer...

Well this is the beaut of it all

I DID and this is the response i got..

AudioTechs@directed.com <AudioTechs@directed.com>

thank you for your recent inquiry on the A/D/S 346cs series.

We can not give a specific response as we have not really tested what the speakers can handle individually.

Thank you

Hence why i am now asking here

Do you guys think it can handle the 4 x 100 power of the sax-100.4 ?

In another forum a guy said he was using a 4 channel amp rated at 100 watts and they take them nicely... but honestly some of the people in that forum are (as ngsm would put it ) idiots.....

If anyone has a clue please post up...

If not i will just have to rely on my DMM gain matching and ear to help keep them above water so to speak

I would assume the mids can take the power, but might have to gain back for the tweets. Headroom is not a bad thing. :)

It would be an outstanding amplifier to use.

Do beware though as you will have enough power to shred those tweeters. I actual really prefer to have a lot of power on my tweeters. I recently stepped back from an old school Rockford P150 running my tweets to 27w on each side and the dynamics left the vehicle completely. I doubt under normal operation the tweeter will draw more than 10w anyways, but it made a massive difference in how they sound. They get spitty faster and generally don't blend as well with the rest of my stage which now has me pondering other amplifiers yet again.

The power rating on the set is really for the mid, particularly for the low frequencies. You can always throw more power to components if you cross them higher than they were in the passive crossover; however, at just 100w per channel assuming a good install this won't be a problem that you will have. If it were me, I'd start with by setting the gain on the mid and putting it on the lowest possible setting for the tweet. At that point give it a listen and turn the tweet up to blend if necessary. It would be a bad idea to set the gains for the tweet using standard methods in my book as it won't need that much power, but the headroom it will absorb fully and reward you.

I guess what I am saying is :doit: :doit: :doit: