juicyfruit

Crude box plans for a 12" SSD w/ copper

My uncle had all the tools to help with the build but then a lady drove into his garage and in the process ran over the main gas line. His whole garage was torched, including the tools and his brand new Honda Pilot. Since the last time I've posted, I haven't had time to build it but a coworker of mine wants to help out with the build so I just wanted to go over some options.

TIA

My max outside dimensions: W=35" L=8.5" H=15". This is going in an '06 Suby wagon. The sealed box should work fine but I'm wondering if ported could work also. I listen to some rap, but mostly alternative and stuff like Blue October, Silversun Pickups, etc.

I think I have the room for ported but I haven't a clue how to build the port. I'm thinking a slot port would be easier. From my readings, I think I'd want it tuned to 32hz but don't know what size to achieve a smooth punchy bass.

Not sure if it'll help but I am running stock electrical, an Alpine 9815 deck, and a Hifonics ZX7500.

2 pics for the same sealed box, yields 1.006 cu ft after displacement.

box1at7.jpg

box2un7.jpg

Is this in the wrong forum?

My uncle had all the tools to help with the build but then a lady drove into his garage and in the process ran over the main gas line. His whole garage was torched, including the tools and his brand new Honda Pilot. Since the last time I've posted, I haven't had time to build it but a coworker of mine wants to help out with the build so I just wanted to go over some options.

TIA

My max outside dimensions: W=35" L=8.5" H=15". This is going in an '06 Suby wagon. The sealed box should work fine but I'm wondering if ported could work also. I listen to some rap, but mostly alternative and stuff like Blue October, Silversun Pickups, etc.

I think I have the room for ported but I haven't a clue how to build the port. I'm thinking a slot port would be easier. From my readings, I think I'd want it tuned to 32hz but don't know what size to achieve a smooth punchy bass.

Not sure if it'll help but I am running stock electrical, an Alpine 9815 deck, and a Hifonics ZX7500.

2 pics for the same sealed box, yields 1.006 cu ft after displacement.

box1at7.jpg

box2un7.jpg

Edited by juicyfruit

A ported enclosure will be more efficient around the tuning frequency . But it will be a lot larger than your sealed enclosure you have modeled. A slot ported enclosure is pretty simple to build . What kind of room to you want to sacrifice to the audio gods ? :)

A ported enclosure will be more efficient around the tuning frequency . But it will be a lot larger than your sealed enclosure you have modeled. A slot ported enclosure is pretty simple to build . What kind of room to you want to sacrifice to the audio gods ? :)

Sweet! So honored the all-knowing ramos is helping me out. :)

From the bcae calculator:

Height? = 15 Inches

Width? = 35 Inches

Depth1? = 6.5 Inches

Depth2? = 9.5 Inches

If the above dimensions are OUTSIDE dimensions, enter the thickness of the wood below.

Wood Thickness = .75 Inches

Total box volume = 1.701 Ft3

And from the SSD enclosure recommendations:

Ported box we recommend using 1.8-2.5 cubic feet @ 33Hz (this is optimal in our eyes and to our ears, you can tune 31-35hz fine if you so please)

Looks like I'm a tad short on total volume. I could bump up the Depth1 and Depth2 numbers but would like to hear a noticeable change going from my sealed box in the pics to a ported. If I can't be louder and retain the tightness, I might stay sealed.

Thanks much!

Easy now , I'm just me . Those that have met me will tell you there is no greatness, just me :D

How much power is the hifonics gonna give the sub ( i'm not familiar with the new hifonics :( ) ? :)

Older Hifonics, rated at 750w RMS bridged but can't find any place to bench the mofo to see what it's really putting out. I suspect around 500?

Sweet! So honored the all-knowing ramos is helping me out. :)

From the bcae calculator:

Height? = 15 Inches

Width? = 35 Inches

Depth1? = 6.5 Inches

Depth2? = 9.5 Inches

If the above dimensions are OUTSIDE dimensions, enter the thickness of the wood below.

Wood Thickness = .75 Inches

Total box volume = 1.701 Ft3

And from the SSD enclosure recommendations:

Ported box we recommend using 1.8-2.5 cubic feet @ 33Hz (this is optimal in our eyes and to our ears, you can tune 31-35hz fine if you so please)

Looks like I'm a tad short on total volume. I could bump up the Depth1 and Depth2 numbers but would like to hear a noticeable change going from my sealed box in the pics to a ported. If I can't be louder and retain the tightness, I might stay sealed.

Thanks much!

aggreeded :) ported will give you a better bass responce from the lower freq range

Using this calculator and using every bit of space I can in the trunk, I came up with this:

boxcalccopybf8.jpg

Just wondering now where to buy this port or how to fabricate one and where to locate it. Should I have the sub facing up and the port facing the rear?

Is it possible to make a slot port instead? Any suggestions welcome. Perhaps change the port length and diameter? Not sure how changing either affects the output so hopefully someone can help shed some light on this for me.

TIA!

Edited by juicyfruit

Ported enclosure will not give a better response at the lower frequencies... after tuning frequency the roll off is super steep.

Ported enclosure will not give a better response at the lower frequencies... after tuning frequency the roll off is super steep.

Yeah man , I should have worded it better :D I would just stick to a sealed enclosure and try it out first. Easiest to build , you can always build another later down the road. Practice makes perfect :)