ccdoggy

FI Q, a few inpepth questions

So i am using my 15" Q for a home theater sub, 12cuft tuned to ~12hz or so. It is a monster on only 1000 watts. Through reading allot on subs and linear tech im wondering how the Q's coil is setup, underhung/overhung, any linear tech, shorting ring, and if there is anything special about it?

Im more or less wanting to compare what i am listening to and what its tech is compared to what some people are using.

I have to say though that the Q in my enclosure is a pretty amazing experience. just need to get maybe another 500 watts to it and some way of keeping my house's voltage stable.

thanks!

Nope, nothing special..

Simple SGLC design

Nope, nothing special..

Simple SGLC design

oh Nick your so modest....

there is one thing that makes it special... all that tender loving care that goes into the making of each sub :domoslay:

theabunai...lol yes we love each and every one of them ;)

Nothing special about the designs at all. They were just set up to be solid all around performers and not try to push the limits of linearity or tech... I have found through the years that a good portion of people simply do not like the sterile sound of an ultra linear Bl sub. I do... but many do not. Not rocking the boat with these at all... but they seem to do a good job.

12 Hz? Wow... I usually set things in the high teens to 20 or so. Id let a tactile transducer do the balance if I needed anything below that and take the extra output out of the higher tuned sub for most HT applications. Youd be amazed at what people think is "better" when output vs extension is concerned.

Thanks,

Scott

I was aiming for a tune of 15 but alas once built it very much favors ~12. this thing is amazing for movies, awesome for music.

Thanks for the info, i am sure this sub will last me quite a while.

http://www.ccdoggy.net/temp/P1010121.JPG

its cleaner then that right now, camera really likes to pick up everything.

Is that the center channel on the floor?? :(

So i am using my 15" Q for a home theater sub, 12cuft tuned to ~12hz or so. It is a monster on only 1000 watts.

I always thought that you were never to tune a box below the Fs of a driver because it would unload if you played tones below the Fs???

Edited by StickyFingaz

that was my temp setup, the center is now on top of the box, yes i know not perfect but thats what happens when you dont have a dedicated room for theater.

I have my EP2500 bridged at 2 ohms, not supposed to as min is 4 Ohms ooo well it works. bridged 2 ohms is 1100 real watts, someone tested it. bridged at 4 ohms it does a real 1900watts.

not sure about the whole below Fs tuning, but mine is pretty amazing at 12hz especially in master and commander and war of the worlds.