Sign in to follow this  
menikmati

In the market for different subs

So I'm coming from a Q, it's in about 2 cubes and tuned to 30hz. I'm powering it with an MD2 being a bit conservative on the gain. The output is pretty good for a twelve in a trunk car and the lows are thunderous, but I want something that will also play the upper frequencies 45-60 a bit louder than the Q does. Lookin for something with the same punchiness of the Q also. Probably looking at 2 12's sealed, I think I'll be satisfied with the output there and I can turn it down if needed. Only subs I've considered were the SE and the SSD w/ a copper coil, possibly the TC-9 too. Any help/suggestions are welcome, I'm open to anything.

RL-p. very punchy. also i would reccomend an Infinity kappa VQ. punchiest sub ive ever used.

I actually had two RL-p's prior to this setup. They didn't sound natural playing the low lows and not as accurate (though still accurate in my opinion) as the Q. I was thinking the TC-9 would be different since it has a copper coil.

Pretty much just looking for something that'll hit the lows with authority like the Q, be punchy, and play the upper frequencies (so pretty much a fairly flat response). The Se's would be 165 each, SSD's 195, so I guess that's my price range.

Edited by menikmati

you could try to invest your money in a better front stage.

Right now I'm running Rainbow CMX's off a 4050XXK. I think it does its job pretty well. By the time they get to 45-55ish, the sub will be handling most of the material (in my setup). I'm not looking for midbass or a smooth transition or blending frontstage, I'm pretty satisfied with how well it is right now, pretty smooth. I'm looking for something that will have decent low end and good upper bass also. The RL-p did it decently sealed, but other areas left me something to be desired.

Edited by menikmati

I would try a different box before unloading the Q. It is one hell of a sub.

He could always try the Icon, the TC2k, the IDQ, the aura... I just can't see why a sub like the q can't handle 45-60 hz... I think a better investment than a woofer would be an eq.