Sign in to follow this  
SikSS

MLI-65's - Infinity Ref Crossover

Ok, I'll put this out to those who are definitely not as technically challenged as I.

I went garage-saling, and picked up a set of used Infinity Ref 6000cs's for $30. Have since tested them and work fine, just not enough base for me. I tried them in a small 1/3 cube homemade box to test them.

Now, is it possible to just replace the Infinity Woofer with an MLI-65 and get much better base(sound quality and punch) with a cold swap ? There are really no "adjustments" that can be made on these crossovers except to go -3db's on the tweets.

Just wondering...

It will make sound... but crossovers are designed for each driver's characteristics. That being said, the crossover points will not be the same as it would be with the original equipment.

Would I do it? No. Have I done it for others? Yes, as a temporary fix until I could do something active, or design & build a correct passive crossover.

yea ///M5 will get on your butt to go active or design a correct cossover for the drivers. hes been doin it to me for months :P

thanks to him, i got motivated to finish glassing my doors and go active lol thank you! :)

Infinities aren't known for tremendous midbass, but making decisions based on how they sound in a totally different install environment doesn't make a lot of sense either...

Infinities aren't known for tremendous midbass, but making decisions based on how they sound in a totally different install environment doesn't make a lot of sense either...

You're right but it was much easier to test that way and ask the general question than to tear the door panels apart again to test them in their potentially ultimate environment(plus my wife is sick of me spending my weekends installing stereo equipment and not getting to build that patio deck). I figured with the shallow mount, lightweight magnet compared to the beefy MLI's it would be a night and day situation if was a manageable working swap, but then again, it sounds like the latter is not a possibility.