ArrizX

Wood...

Ok, I have like 3 8'x16'' long boards of 7 layer plywood.

i am going to make a box 40x12x12 for two 10 TC7s.

Should I go buy MDF or would the 7 layer plywood work just as well?

the box will be ported using 3' big 14'' long areo ports.

ply works just fine, i've made a few boxes out of it. It's quite a bit lighter but sometimes you have trouble with the layers separating or with really chitty ply actually "breathing"

ply works just fine, i've made a few boxes out of it. It's quite a bit lighter but sometimes you have trouble with the layers separating or with really chitty ply actually "breathing"

well i dont think it is low quality

because this is spare stuff from the building they are building next to where i work. its a condo complex, and it is a bunch of spare stuff they used for counter tops.

my supervisor at work said its good chit, so i think ill be fine, givin i seal it well and dont split the wood when screwing it.

You really should use void free which I am sure that isn't.

what m5 is referring to by void free is usually referred to as furniture or cabinet grade ply at lumber yards. It's expensive chit. Time is taken in the construction ( orientation and quality of each individual ply ) to avoid voids in the wood ( which are weak spots when pressure is applied by a sub) . Different animal than conventional construction plywood sheeting used for walls and floors. But I say if you got the plywood , and have no other use for it. You can always make an enclosure with it see how it does react. Worse comes to worse , at least you got the practice building :)

Void-free ply usually has more layers...12 or 13 is pretty common.

It's $50-80 a sheet depending on how picky you are about the grade of the finish.

yous can also resin inside and out. and maybe add a bit of mat on the corners and potential weak areas to ensure a quality build. a bit more work, but would do the trick.

of course by the time you bought that stuff, you could've bought a sheet of mdf, lol.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I think it would be cheaper as well to just invest in MDF at least then yu won't have to worryy about it.

Unless I wanted to have a natural wood finish on the box, I'd go MDF. Ply isn't worth it if you're covering it anyway.

Regardless of what you decide , always remember one thing............. IT's the wood that makes it good :)

what m5 is referring to by void free is usually referred to as furniture or cabinet grade ply at lumber yards. It's expensive chit. Time is taken in the construction ( orientation and quality of each individual ply ) to avoid voids in the wood ( which are weak spots when pressure is applied by a sub) . Different animal than conventional construction plywood sheeting used for walls and floors. But I say if you got the plywood , and have no other use for it. You can always make an enclosure with it see how it does react. Worse comes to worse , at least you got the practice building :)

exactly. my first box build. so i will need it none the less lol.

but hey, it looks good, and these are only TC-7's, nothing to major like an ssd or anything. and it has a port to vent the air. its not like all the pressure is constantly applied.

i think it will work fine.

besides my girlfriends parents own an interior design store so i can get whatever carpet stuff i want //free!

yous can also resin inside and out. and maybe add a bit of mat on the corners and potential weak areas to ensure a quality build. a bit more work, but would do the trick.

of course by the time you bought that stuff, you could've bought a sheet of mdf, lol.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

depending how this box works, i will consider that

but hey, it looks good, and these are only TC-7's, nothing to major like an ssd or anything. and it has a port to vent the air. its not like all the pressure is constantly applied.

jsut so you know..being your first box build...

the pressure inside a ported box can be/usually is greater then inside a sealed box.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

the pressure inside a ported box can be/usually is greater then inside a sealed box.

oh, lol

well im building it sometime in the next week. it will be fun

Yep , yep . Turbulent airflow can be a bastage too :)

I picked up some MDF last night for my new TL box. Left it in the 4Runner overnight, boy that stuff stinks. Finally moved it out before I left for work today.

That's right, I had morning wood.

If you think it stinks now, wait until you cut it :)

If you think it stinks now, wait until you cut it :)

Cutting with a good sharp blade isn't bad . Burning through it with a dull ass blade on the other hand stinks to high heavens :)