Sign in to follow this  
kickerlivinloud

Regular Cab Box build...

Ok here I go again with another truck box build. This box will be house a single 12" driver either my SI Claw Mag 12" or my Sonic FX Q 12" depending on which performs better. Specs are as follow,

2.54@30Hz

20"^2 of port

Really hoping to get some gut pounding lows out of this box. My current box hits them decent but I want better more defined lows. So enough talk, on with the pics....

Truckbox.jpg

Truckbox1.jpg

Truckbox2.jpg

Just started this build tonight. Got a good chunk done. Right now everything is being dry fitted before I get all glue happy. It will be put together with screws and TightBond II. Sub will be set back into the box to allow for space for excursion. Still debating on going round or square...

Some pics of a round setback...

BOXDP26.jpg

A picture of a square setback...

Atomicbuild16.jpg

What do you guys think looks better???

I'll probably work on this some more tomorrow with updated pictures..

Let me know what ya think.

Jon

Very nicely built box for sure. Looking forward to hearing your POV of the ClawMAG in that box.

Well didn't do any work yesterday decided to go out to the bar with some friends but I did manage to get a little done tonight. Here are the pictures of my progress so far.

Truckbox3.jpg

Truckbox4.jpg

Truckbox5.jpg

Decided to go with the square design. I didn't like how the round one was working out so I ditched it. Gotta love the round over effect!!! Thats not as pretty as I wanted but both pieces of MDF are exactly at the same level. I got a little sloppy with the jig saw so when you look close its a little ugly. Learned my lessen though. Next time to get the perfect fit, cut both pieces at the same time!!

Probably won't get any work done this weekend. Might get back at it sunday night, have to wait and see. Keep on the lookout for updates...

Jon

Keep up the good work!

Or cut one piece and use a flush trim bit. That would be my preference.

I also would have used the router to make the square cuts, really easy to make a fence for one and then it would be perfect. Either way what you have is fine and will work, just a little help for the future.

Thanks for the advise man!! I appreciate any advise I can get! Ended up doing some work before I went out tonight. Everything except for the front baffle is glued, screwed and caulked up! Box is looking very well so far, at least I think it is. I've deffenetly spent more time on this one trying to make it right then any other. After its finished I'll take a belt sander to any rough area's and have it looking perfect. Trick that I have learned, you don't always have to make it EXACTLY perfect, just make it as close as you can and then come back with a sander and make it perfect. By the time I'm done you should not be able to tell the difference between a flat and a seam, hopefully ,lol.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow. Hoping to have it done by mid day depending on if I sleep in or not..

Also I will be doing a full review of the Claw Mag in both this new enclosure and my present one. Hopefully it will be a good read!

Jon

Update!!

Sorry for the delay. Its been a really busy week for me and I haven't had a lot of time to work on this. Made a good amount of progress today as you will soon see in the form of pictures!!

Guts:

Truckbox13.jpg

Port:

Truckbox14.jpg

Hmmm Round over port!!!

Truckbox15.jpg

Got the front baffle finished and on!

truckbox6.jpg

What do these letters mean???

TruckBox7.jpg

Now were looking like something familiar

Truckbox10.jpg

Front baffle...

Truckbox8.jpg

Truckbox9.jpg

Hmmm, whats all this white stuff for????

Truckbox11.jpg

Truckbox12.jpg

And thats it for pictures for tonight. I have something up my sleeve for the finish but that will be a secret! If it all comes out how I hope it will be very flashy and very "cool" looking. You'll just have to hang with me as the finish might take some time (nothing like watching paint dry,lol)

comments, concerns, ideas?????

Jon

I will second M5's advice on using a homemade fence as a guide for your router. It seems that you probably have a table saw, so making the fences with some scrap is easy. Although of course a router will leave the corners rounded (since the bit is round), and a jig saw will give you crisp square corners. It depends on your preference.

If your port is glued in as well as screwed, I recommend temporarily removing the screws on the outside of the box that hold the port on and hitting that with your roundover bit as well. Then countersink your screws and cover them with some wood filler or bondo. You seem to love the roundover bit and I think it will be good for aesthetics.

I like the recessed sub mounting.

I like the recessed sub mounting.

Its annoying but I have to do it b/c the seat touches the box. I don't feel like risking the sub over something stupid like that.

Not real sure when I'll get this bulid done. I don't have the ambition to finish it lately, lol. Maybe I'll knock some more off this week. Right now its just the painting that needs to be done. all the construction is done. Maybe I'll throw the box in tonight and see how it sounds. I've been wanting to try out "bass I love you" but my current box isn't really designed for low end. Hopefully the new one will pick up were the old one left off.

Jon

i like the attention to details :)

To bad it was usless. I put the box in the truck and tried both the Mag and the Sonic. Both lacked output and authority in all regions of the "bass" range. From 20Hz to 60Hz I was not impressed at all. Really pisses me off b/c I spent some much time on it. It had more authority in the upper range which makes me wonder if I screwed up with the tuning.

So long story quick this build fails as well. Really pissing me off b/c this is the second build I've had fall totally on its face.

:badmood2::angry2:

Jon

To bad it was usless. I put the box in the truck and tried both the Mag and the Sonic. Both lacked output and authority in all regions of the "bass" range. From 20Hz to 60Hz I was not impressed at all. Really pisses me off b/c I spent some much time on it. It had more authority in the upper range which makes me wonder if I screwed up with the tuning.

So long story quick this build fails as well. Really pissing me off b/c this is the second build I've had fall totally on its face.

Jon

Did you try building a different port? I hope you're not just giving up on that box, it looks good.

Jon

How long is your port ? For a 30hz tuning in your enclosure, I end up with just a butt hair under 20" long at 4" x 5". :)

19.89" long so maybe it's a big butt hair :)