MrSwiss

Any news on the AA mids?

I checked the stcky and noticed a mention of the Mids and if any upgrades were apparent. Saw the picture of an AA mid with a carbon fiber/metal cone.

Im really curious about how this product is going to be handled. I currently have some AA mids in my front doors and am very happy, and just came to the realization that i may not be able to purchase anymore!

1. Are they still gonna be offered?

2. Are they gonna be improved, and by how much?

3. Can we expect the same awesome performance and price?

Any information will be greatly appreciated! BTW the new product line looks really awesome, especially those Havoks.

Make sure there is no lead slap and you'll have a great product. I had bad luck and 3 out of 4 of mine had lead slap at moderate x-max. Other than that they were pretty solid.

Make sure there is no lead slap and you'll have a great product. I had bad luck and 3 out of 4 of mine had lead slap at moderate x-max. Other than that they were pretty solid.

indeed. both of mine had some hardcore slapage.

Those carbon fiber ones sound pretty good. I'm going to run them for "rear" fill. I say "rear" because their location in the back doors is pretty close to being considered front fill... they will be straight down from my head and just a few inches above floor height. I have polys in the front doors. :woot:

1. Are they still gonna be offered?
Not sure how the crossovers and other HT stuff will fit in. We will definitely keep the 6.5" around in its current form and maybe the old HT info, but it is still up in the air about the rest of the HT stuff.

It will be available through one outlet or another though...

Thanks,

Scott

I dug this qoute from Scott up. So I guess the answer is yes they will offer them again but as to when....... no idea

I am really wanting to know as well I have a pair that I was going to put in a CC for HT use but I haven't done it since they were all gone before I could pick up 2 more pair for the fronts.

I dug this qoute from Scott up. So I guess the answer is yes they will offer them again but as to when....... no idea

I am really wanting to know as well I have a pair that I was going to put in a CC for HT use but I haven't done it since they were all gone before I could pick up 2 more pair for the fronts.

This needs to be featured in Ripley's Believe It Or Not. AA comes up with one of the best midrange drivers and then sits on it for 8 months. They could have sold a jazillion of these for the home audio market. It is not a woofer even though it has large Xmax, but it has some of the lowest distortion of any midrange tested. http://www.zaphaudio.com/6.5test/

Anybody know where these were made? I am guessing Taiwan or China.

Ted

This needs to be featured in Ripley's Believe It Or Not. AA comes up with one of the best midrange drivers and then sits on it for 8 months. They could have sold a jazillion of these for the home audio market. It is not a woofer even though it has large Xmax, but it has some of the lowest distortion of any midrange tested. http://www.zaphaudio.com/6.5test/

Anybody know where these were made? I am guessing Taiwan or China.

Ted

No doubt. I grabbed a pair last year to do a CC with them or possibly put them in my gf's car. Major family medical emergency and I still have them new in box. After reading up on Zaph's testing of them I am dying to do my mains and CC with them. I also want to put a set in the car.

i could of sworn i registered here... oh well.

anywho. thats my picture of the carbon mids before i sold em on ca.com. ;) i still got the rest of the pics. sexy speakers.

i wish i had a chance to listen to em...

I actually just noticed slap on mine for the first time. Was playing Mark Morrison "Return of the mack" and it's THE only song that does it.

Took em out and used the hot glue gun to build up a bead on the basket, then glued part of the lead to it, and no more slap. Easy 15 minute fix for 4 mids, so don't give up on em!!!!

I will be starting on the doors for the van in the next couple weeks guys, I will take detailed pics. 8 Carbon Fiber Poly Mids and 8 "Custom" Tweets per door. Running off 6 Kicker 850.4's, actively of course. Now I just hope it keeps up slightly with the subs. (for those that dont know, I have 8 Fully Loaded BTL's and 8 Kicker 2500.1's)

I will be starting on the doors for the van in the next couple weeks guys, I will take detailed pics. 8 Carbon Fiber Poly Mids and 8 "Custom" Tweets per door. Running off 6 Kicker 850.4's, actively of course. Now I just hope it keeps up slightly with the subs. (for those that dont know, I have 8 Fully Loaded BTL's and 8 Kicker 2500.1's)

Are these the "new" poly mids or the older model? I would kill to get my hands on eight of them for a HT surround setup.

Are these the "new" poly mids or the older model? I would kill to get my hands on eight of them for a HT surround setup.

These are older models that I have had sitting here. I was using the Kicker RS comps, like when you saw the van in Daytona, Lucas, and they sounded real nice, but just couldnt keep up, especially when the doors were shut, and I was making a bassrace run, they were ok when the doors were open for demo's. At that time I was also running 4 Kicker 350.2's, now stepping up in power to the 3 kicker 850.4's. The mids and tweets will love the new found power

Yes, there seems to be more of the carbon fiber Poly's around than anyone has let on. I'd like to get my hands on a few myself.

Of course, if the new version did have a carbon fiber cone, it wouldn't make much sense to call them "Poly's", now would it? ;)

Carby's? B)

They go well with a big plate of spaghetti and a tough workout.

Yes, there seems to be more of the carbon fiber Poly's around than anyone has let on. I'd like to get my hands on a few myself.

Of course, if the new version did have a carbon fiber cone, it wouldn't make much sense to call them "Poly's", now would it? ;)

I have 4 new in box poly mids, two XT25s and two XOVERS for 2 MTMs I can part with. I am doing a small line array with the carbon fiber and a Seas tweeter.

A pair of the carbons? Ill see what I can come up with if thats the case.

Candou2... any pics of the line arrays? How do you like the carbons as well? Fairly similar overall to the polys, but with a little more break up to deal with on the top end... although not as ridiculous as some composites I have measured.

Thanks,

Scott

Candou2... any pics of the line arrays? How do you like the carbons as well? Fairly similar overall to the polys, but with a little more break up to deal with on the top end... although not as ridiculous as some composites I have measured.

Thanks,

Scott

You are correct. We have a little DIY group here in Dallas. We have a EE who is heavy into xover design, and he is good at it. He said the poly is flatter, but I have more carbon drivers. He is going lower with the xover frequency and using the Seas, Let me look it up.......27TBFC\G hard dome (I like HARD domes, My focal towers have TC120s, older model tweeters, MtMWW another story) that goes below the breakup. I think he said the carbons go lower----dam, how low can you go!! It will be MMMTMMM with a taper. I am having a hard time getting the Water Fall Babinga, or even figured.

I will try to send some pics of a HT system I did, 3 MTM's and 2 MT,s. I need to get some subs from Chad. I will try to get the pics out. I am working on a DYNACO MKIII also, and too much other crap, but I will try to get them out.

Thanks,

Scott

You are correct. We have a little DIY group here in Dallas. We have a EE who is heavy into xover design, and he is good at it. He said the poly is flatter, but I have more carbon drivers. He is going lower with the xover frequency and using the Seas, Let me look it up.......27TBFC\G hard dome (I like HARD domes, My focal towers have TC120s, older model tweeters, MtMWW another story) that goes below the breakup. I think he said the carbons go lower----dam, how low can you go!! It will be MMMTMMM with a taper. I am having a hard time getting the Water Fall Babinga, or even figured.

I will try to send some pics of a HT system I did, 3 MTM's and 2 MT,s. I need to get some subs from Chad. I will try to get the pics out. I am working on a DYNACO MKIII also, and too much other crap, but I will try to get them out.

A friend just grabbed two!

Just a single or a pair of MkIIIs? Definitely post pictures when you're done :)

I see refurbished ones up on Audiogon a lot, whenever I go active at home they look like the perfect midbass amps...

Ive always enjoyed the Dynacos. They got me started on a few different kt88 based amps after that.

Simply dont have time to roll tubes or chase hum anymore :(