Sign in to follow this  
Qbenjamin

FI BL D4?

I want to get a BL to add to my collection, but I want a Dual 4. What's the extra cost from FI to do this? Thanx in advance.

P.S. Only other options I would be choosing would be: P chamfer and Cooling. :domoslay:

why would you need it at dual 4's??

I don't like running my Q on my amp due to the .7ohm coils. Even @ 2 ohms, that's only 1.4. My amp is stable @ 1.5ohms, but a lil closer to 2 would be even better. I figured a D4 would have more like 1.75 ohms per coil. Wire it down to 2 ohms, and I would feel more comfortable with the coils being above 1.5 total ohm load.

Edited by Que

dual .7's are basically dual 1's. just about every sub's re sit's a little lower than the rated impedance. 1.4's=2's and .7's =1's

It's fine running like it is...we don't have any dual 4ohm coils anyway as they are pretty much useless in the industry these days...

During musical play your impedance isn't anywhere near 1.4 ohms anyhow...its more like 3-4 even upwards of 12 ohms. Mainly because music is dynamic, you will always have peaks and valleys in the impedance curve.

It'l be fine.

This is the reason why I ditched the D4 and went with the D1s in the proto process. Most amps today are 1 or 2 Ohm stable. A pair of D1s will do a 1 Ohm load or 4 Ohm load... a D4 will do a 4 Ohm or 16 Ohm load... so you can see how you get the same single 4 Ohm load and a more common 1 Ohm load for them D1 coils vs the D4.

As mentioned above, the Re of 1.4 or .7 is only true at DC... not reactively. Your amp will never see the DCR load, but something much higher.

Thanks,

Scott

So haveing one dual two ohm sub on an amp that is one ohm stable is fine even though the amp will truly be seeing .75 ohms

Edited by Shibby

I had to go back and check that one...lol Yes I did say that, but it was in reference to a pair of D4s not a single sub. You are correct with the loads for a single driver.

Had me worried for a second ;)

Shibby, the .75 Ohm is a DC or 0 Hz. The amp will never see that and it will be a reactive load (meaning the load will change with frequency and power applied). This is where the "nominal" load of 1 Ohm comes in. Thats the lowest reactive load that the amp will ever see, and for most enclosures it might be several times that.

Thanks,

Scott

when i clamped my h2 at 60 hz the amp was doing 900 rms at 3 ohms. it was a dula 2 ohm sub wired to one ohm.

Sign in to follow this