crunch1

lowering cabin temp for better db

Here in Wisconsin my car sits outside in the freezing cold and it is always louder once I get the car/trunk nice and toasty. I think that the lower impedance of the coil is undermined by the cold hard soft parts. I think that, unless you have soft soft parts it would be best to cool only the motor but keep the top assembly, minus the coil, the same temp as your warm cabin. But that is in sub freezing conditions as many people here have proven the opposite to be true in warmer comparisons. If I am talking out of my ass let me know, I'm here to learn.

Here in Wisconsin my car sits outside in the freezing cold and it is always louder once I get the car/trunk nice and toasty. I think that the lower impedance of the coil is undermined by the cold hard soft parts. I think that, unless you have soft soft parts it would be best to cool only the motor but keep the top assembly, minus the coil, the same temp as your warm cabin. But that is in sub freezing conditions as many people here have proven the opposite to be true in warmer comparisons. If I am talking out of my ass let me know, I'm here to learn.

It sounds louder after your car heats up because the air is less dense.

It sounds louder after your car heats up because the air is less dense.

It's the same effect that opening a window has, less pressure= louder.

Basically for a given amount of work you get x amount pressure, y amount sound and z amount thermal waste.

SO denser air= more pressure and less sound.

When it comes to subs and freezing the motors its all about thermal efficiency. Colder motors are more efficient.

*note that my statements may or may not use the proper scientific terms*

Colder is NOT always louder, just like everything else in SPL.

I know of a few guys that actually run their HEATERS before being metered. One thing doesn't always work in every setup. Cold usually helps my score, but never more than a few tenths.

Edited by tommyk90

all world finals should be held in winnipeg during jan each year..last week it was -40 :D free dry ice for everyone!!!

Colder is NOT always louder, just like everything else in SPL.

I know of a few guys that actually run their HEATERS before being metered. One thing doesn't always work in every setup. Cold usually helps my score, but never more than a few tenths.

This is because not only does air temperature affect humidity it also affects tuning frequency. I know when I metered my test car outside of competition it was in a garage and about 20* cooler inside, at competition i generally had to move my frequency up/down a tad to get the most out of my system. Temperature affects soo much in car audio. Colder wires can transfer energy better, colder amps perform better, colder motors are more efficient (from all testing that I have done from a pressure stand point), colder batteries should have a higher static charge etc.

Sound travels farther on cold days than hot days.

well i live in MI so i see alot of cold weather, i had my 15's inverted so the mag would be outside temp after 12 hours w/o driving it, i always let it warm on vol 6-10 for like 3-4 minutes but you can feel the mags and everything and its the same temp still and they are not any louder, if anything they do worse, also though this could be due to soft parts being stiff like said earlier

thats just my experience

Its a different kind of cold that we're talking about here. Freezing the motors is far different from inside temperature of the car.

It also probably isn't audibly louder to the human ear, but to expensive SPL metering equipment.. you'll see it.