noonej21

Which to choose?

Let me start this off by saying I have searched and read through many posts here and on the Caraudio.com and on theTCSounds forums to try and help me make this decision. Basically what I have is this I am planning to downsize from my current Eclipse 8122(TC7 motor) to a single 10. The sub will live in a sealed enclosure preferably on the smallish size as the reason for my downsize in system is that I have a new addition to the family and trunk space now comes at a premium! I have been looking at the following subs TC-1000, TC-7, RL-i and an Eclipse 8102 NIB off of Ebay. Based on what I have been able to gather the TC-1000 and RL-i are very similar in that they both use the TC2(or is it TC2+) motor likewise the TC-7 and the eclipse are similar in that they both use the TC7 motor(correct me if I am wrong on any of this). I have 400 watts at 2ohms to play with from a PPI Pro-650 and I really listen to it all from rap to rock to alternative to talk(sports talk only). I want to stay within a 1 ft^3 I think for a sealed application. Thanks for any comments/thoughts you might be able to provide on this subject, I understand that subwoofer choice is truly a subjective thing but I am more just trying to get a little background info on these woofers. Thanks again

If you feel comfortable buying something off Ebay and being on your own in case it fails, go for that.

If you want something that has excellent customer support should anything go wrong, spend more for the Soundsplinter.

As for buying from TC direct, I've been disenchanted enough with their online presence not to ever deal with them...

If you feel comfortable buying something off Ebay and being on your own in case it fails, go for that.

If you want something that has excellent customer support should anything go wrong, spend more for the Soundsplinter.

As for buying from TC direct, I've been disenchanted enough with their online presence not to ever deal with them...

Well that's the thing price wise they are all very similar, I only included the Eclipse in my browsing because it is the 10" version of the 12 that I already have and like a lot! SS has had my attention before and yet I have never went ahead and made a purchase but I have heard about how great their customer service is!

Having owned a TC and a SS, I would say you cant go wrong with either. For you application I would do the SS. I had RLP 15 sealed and I would never hesitate to buy another product. I would stay away from Ebay for subs, I have been burned.

Having owned a TC and a SS, I would say you cant go wrong with either. For you application I would do the SS. I had RLP 15 sealed and I would never hesitate to buy another product. I would stay away from Ebay for subs, I have been burned.

I have been fortunate in my purchases on Ebay I have bought multiple subs without any issues. I have this tendancy to fall in love with older equipment(Round solobarics and PPI Powerclass/Art Series amps) and Ebay has been the only place I could find what I was looking for. I think all things considered I will most likely go with the RL-i, I have heard nothing but great things regarding the customer service at SS and having a waranty with a purchase is not a bad thing.

Well worth it if it is extra, if it isn't then no reason not to buy from Mike at SS. Enjoy your Rli, I know I love mine.

Well worth it if it is extra, if it isn't then no reason not to buy from Mike at SS. Enjoy your Rli, I know I love mine.

well, I decided to go with the RL-i. Should be here next week, now its time to start building the new box. Mike was great, responded to my questions very promptly. I now can see why everyone raves about SS customer service

well, I decided to go with the RL-i. Should be here next week, now its time to start building the new box. Mike was great, responded to my questions very promptly. I now can see why everyone raves about SS customer service

You won't be disappointed. My RL-i8 pounds (very clean and smooth) with only a SAX-100.2 at 8 ohms in a poorly-designed horn enclosure. I can't wait to rebuild my box this weekend.. waiting on a new T-Box design from HexiBase.

:woot: Enjoy! If you need enclosure help or have other questions holler away.

You won't be disappointed. My RL-i8 pounds (very clean and smooth) with only a SAX-100.2 at 8 ohms in a poorly-designed horn enclosure. I can't wait to rebuild my box this weekend.. waiting on a new T-Box design from HexiBase.

Sounds great sealed too. ;)

Well sealed is probably the way I am leaning to start off with as my main goal was downsizing to regain some of my limited trunk space. I'll see how that sounds for a while and then switch to ported if needed.

So I meet denim on Friday to give him my old box. I turn on the stereo to demo it for him and we immediately hear mechanical noise coming from the sub... WTF??! He suggested I check the seal on the sub, sure enough there must have been a gap in the seal. *whew*

For what it's worth, I thought my front stage sounded pretty good... until you listened to it. Then it became painfully obvious I have imaging problems. Argh!!!

Well sealed is probably the way I am leaning to start off with as my main goal was downsizing to regain some of my limited trunk space. I'll see how that sounds for a while and then switch to ported if needed.

Do yourself a favor... go sealed and never look back! If you hear the RL-i's in a ported box, you'll love how smooth and clean they sound and will never want to go back to sealed. Goodbye trunk space!

Do yourself a favor... go sealed and never look back! If you hear the RL-i's in a ported box, you'll love how smooth and clean they sound and will never want to go back to sealed. Goodbye trunk space!

I like mine sealed better than ported, even though it is ported now. Definitely more output when ported but I have my t/a set to -12db on the sub so I probably don't need the extra.

So I meet denim on Friday to give him my old box. I turn on the stereo to demo it for him and we immediately hear mechanical noise coming from the sub... WTF??! He suggested I check the seal on the sub, sure enough there must have been a gap in the seal. *whew*

For what it's worth, I thought my front stage sounded pretty good... until you listened to it. Then it became painfully obvious I have imaging problems. Argh!!!

Hey, I never said it sounded bad, just some crossover adjustments for my ear preference. There was no shine, or tinniness, or tunnel sound to the mids, clean sound, I would just do some slight adjustments. :)

Hey, I never said it sounded bad, just some crossover adjustments for my ear preference. There was no shine, or tinniness, or tunnel sound to the mids, clean sound, I would just do some slight adjustments. :)

I was just giving you a hard time. Any recommendations on midbass drivers?

///M5 is our resident mid and midbass expert. But I can bet my lunch that Seas will be mentioned. ;)

If you want, you can try my Mach5's out we can figure out a day. Check zaph audio's huge review for ideas, found >> http://www.zaphaudio.com/6.5test/

Tons of choices, but it will depend on:

budget

space (size in depth and diameter)

necessary frequency range

power handling

the tweeter/mid that it will be mated with

And most importantly the install. <-- I can't say enough about this, it trumps all other factors in my book.

Any recommendations on midbass drivers?

Tons of choices, but it will depend on:

budget

space (size in depth and diameter)

necessary frequency range

power handling

the tweeter/mid that it will be mated with

And most importantly the install. <-- I can't say enough about this, it trumps all other factors in my book.

budget - No set budget, finding something that fits and sounds good is a higher priority.

space - There seems to be around 3" from the door panel to the window track, requiring a spacer approx 0.5". The Seas CA18RLY basket wouldn't fit in the factory assembly, but I think it can be replaced with a custom baffle. I'll try to get some pics up this evening.

range - Hard to say, denim would have a better idea here (I trust his ears and knowledge). Sounds like I need to cross my P650c woofer to have it focus on the midrange and bring in a new midbass to bridge down to my RL-i8 (currently sealed, soon in a T-Box).

power handling - Probably the SAX-100.2 which is currently powering my RL-i8.

current tweeter/mid - JBL P650c components

I should also mention that the midbass drivers could go in kick panels with the tweeters, leaving the JBL midrange drivers in the door. The Q-Logic C-Series panels are supposed to fit up to 6.5 x 3".

QLCQLK4003C63_1.jpg

A better idea would to have the mids & tweets in the kicks & midbass in the doors. The mids installation & pathlengths are very important, as they will need to reproduce the most information.

A better idea would to have the mids & tweets in the kicks & midbass in the doors. The mids installation & pathlengths are very important, as they will need to reproduce the most information.

Definitely, I just mentioned it since it's going to be easier to get 3" out of the kick panel than the door panel. ;)