Sign in to follow this  
idiot

Define Loudness

I realize that this forum does not like giving out decibel estimations, and that I'm not exactly endearing myself by asking, but I don

First of all...change your name...I don't accept people calling themselves idiots...and you are far from one..

Second...The last two setups will be most comparative to each other in loudness....though..they will take up a bit more room than the sealed 12". Expect a low 140's score on a decent mic with either of them installed. I'd try a aero-ported vented enclosure...with the option to cap the port....Some people don't like the sound of ported enclosures over sealed...just a personal preference. Also depends on the vehicle you are installing them in...

Where are you located at? I'm sure there's someone in your area that may be able to help you out. When dealing with fiberglass, I find it easiest to just build the enclosure first. Then figure out the volume and if you want/have the room to go vented you can always add that. You could always do an external port without taking up any precious volume in the enclosure itself. And for that little thing, I think the 12 would suit you nicely. ;)

I

Awesome, another Matrix owner with a D2 ^_^

Ive ran my 15" D2 in both sealed and ported enclosures and it sounded really really nice in both setups (2.8ft^3 sealed, 3.2ft^3 ported <---too small, I know). I can tell you that if you went with the 15 and sealed it you would be completely satisfied with the results in both loudness and clarity.

Or you could go ported and rip apart a city block..... :slayer:

Well, a soon-to-be Matrix owner with a D2. And as much fun as ripping apart a city block would be, I think I

Well, a soon-to-be Matrix owner with a D2. And as much fun as ripping apart a city block would be, I think I

You won't think much of the 2 cube sealed box the Mag goes in....I'd ignore it if I were you...you'll start getting second thoughts....

Hmm?

You don't like the Mag sealed?

Let me know what enclosure you want it in and I'll post one.

15" D2 sealed, please.

You won't think much of the 2 cube sealed box the Mag goes in....I'd ignore it if I were you...you'll start getting second thoughts....

Hmm?

You don't like the Mag sealed?

none of the mags look GREAT sealed...it's just the truth...but you just need to put it in your car...you will be stunned...

Let me know what enclosure you want it in and I'll post one.

15" D2 sealed, please.

What size enclosure(s)?

What size enclosure(s)?

~2.5 cu. ft.

Also, do you have a graph of the 12" D2 ported in a 2.0 cu. ft. enclosure, tuned to 29 Hz, as per the SI webpage? I was thinking about the external port that was mentioned earlier and think that I may have a way to do that. And even if my idea does not work, it would be a nice comparison to have anyway.

Edited by idiot

none of the mags look GREAT sealed...it's just the truth...but you just need to put it in your car...you will be stunned...

In what way would a sealed D2 not sound great? Do you mean just in terms of output, or overall sound quality? Because it was stated earlier in the thread that a sealed 15

i think he means that it wouldn't look good in a graph, but sounds awesome.

Meaning... ?

This would be a part of my first system, so I'm still very much learning. See the username. :)

I've yet to get a SI 12" or 15" to look anywhere near decent on a graph.

But what do graphs mean? I mean, look at all of the happy customers. I'd say it's almost like trying to judge a driver by it's T/S Param's before even listening to it. Once you put the driver in your vehicle, the graph won't do to much.

Graph smaph. Let your ears do the listening.

Your ears and paper are two very different things.

Don't get me wrong ... graphs, specs, etc. can all be usefull tools when used properly. But don't get discouraged when it looks pathetic with some drivers.

- Steve

12"MAG in 2.0@29, no fill, 600 watts, cabin gain added.

456034_80_full.jpg

15"MAG in 2.5, heavy fill, 600 watts, cabin gain added.

456034_81_full.jpg

I would go with a 15 sealed in an enclosure larger than 2.3 cubes. Despite the graphs (very nice though), the 15 will be louder across the board. Larger cone area = more SPL given that everything else stays the same. At the 1 watt level the 15's are a solid 3 dB more efficient. If I could fit a 15 in my car I would, but since I'm putting all of my speakers in the cab of a Del Sol that isn't an option. :P

Wait, I just saw the 12 is ported and the 15 is sealed. In that case, they should be pretty darned even. I'd still go with a 15 though. :)

Now the graphs are merely to be looked upon as an estimate. Nothing is foolproof; it is a computer program after all. Also, I would like to note that this particular measurement for cabin gain I have added to graphs is fromMY OWN vehicle. Yours will differ from what I have posted.

I would go with a 15 sealed in an enclosure larger than 2.3 cubes.

How much larger would you recommend?