Sign in to follow this  
bweber721

Alpine Type X

Tweets are excellent... good passive crossovers. Mids leave lots to be desired in the midbass department (as almost all 2-way passive sets do).

I have a set of the 6.5's, 4 inch and the midbass kit. I have the 6.5's in my car now, in the process of replacing them with diamond audio d971(7inch). The sq on the alpines is excellent, the tweeter is awesome, however as neon said, they leave something to be desired in the bass department. Also, do NOT drive them with more than recommended power if you cross over at anything less then 85hz, as the woofer will start to get smelly. They are very accurate sounding speaks, but if you want a really loud, crank'em up set of comps, you should keep shopping. If you want excellent sound, at moderate to high listening levels get the alpines. One more thing, if you do want to get the alpines and crank them up real good, get the 4 inch(spx-137r), and the Midbass kit(spx-mb17). Adding the mb kit will increase the overall power handling of the system, but it is a 3 way kit, so you will have to have some experience or a good installer to make them work for ya.

Good Luck

I was looking at a set of new ones ,but don't think they are right for me. I was looking at the CDT HD series. What do you think.

I was looking at a set of new ones ,but don't think they are right for me. I was looking at the CDT HD series. What do you think.

go for diamond comonents..

the d9 are my preference..

I have a set of SPX-177A, the older ones.

I am not using the tweets or passives, as a tweeter died in shipping.

The mids are running active, with about 110 watts rms to each from an old A/D/S amp.

High passed at 25hz and low passed at 4000hz, they have been running fine like this for 8 months, taking daily beatings while I was without a sub.

I have had very good results from them, but as with anything, I am sure there are better out there. :)

There is. I have owned a pair of those for 4 years. They, like all other passive mass produced sets, have their limitations. Their midbass response is lacking & their midrange definition is ok. Frankly, unless you've heard better, you won't know this. But, once you have it is glaring.

I'd say lacking is an understatement, too bad too since the tweeter is stellar.

The 1" dome tweeter in the older A model is not nearly as nice as the 3/4" newer version with the radiator ring.